UK (specifically Northern Ireland) hunting laws for small game (rabbit)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DavidDavidson

Apr 30, 2015
Northern Ireland
I know that in NI rabbit can be hunted all year round as there is no 'protected season'
One thing I need to clarify however is whether or not it's legal to hunt them with a slingshot on public land (provided you are not posing any danger to other people. I can walk for fifteen minutes (I live on the outer suburbs of Belfast) until I get to a public owned piece of land where there are plenty of rabbit warrens. They're somewhat off-trail and require a bit of slope climbing; essentially the area has two public paths (one on the lower part of the slope, one on a slightly higher part of the slope and if you climb further you get to an area of somewhat thick foliage on the top part of the slope, which has a fence at the very top (leading to a privately owned, but occasionally walked field which can be accessed through a latched gate from a different area of the glen. The rabbits have extensive warrens on this top, unpaved (the other two have basic gravel paths) slope and I've been wondering about the legality of shooting the rabbits with a slingshot on this top part of the slope. An air rifle in NI requires a FAC which will be hard for me to get as when I was younger I got a conviction for posession of a class C substance resulting in community service and a fine (the CS was completed and the fine paid in full), I also know that possession of an air rifle on public land is very illegal (I'm a good shot with both a bow and crossbow but would never take either off my property unless the string was removed (bow) or the crossbow was in a locked bag being transported to a friend's private land for target use); use of bows for hunting is illegal here. Personally I feel that bowhunting could be legal. However it should require as much scrutiny, safeguards and training as obtaining a driver's licence and that a hunting bow should be marked with a bar/QRcode (applied with the same type of stickers which read 'void' when peeled off) this means the bow can be scanned by law enforcement personnel along with an inspection of your hunting licence if you are participating in bowhunting. This is a personal opinion and would be quite an undertaking as target shooting (which is what I use both of my bows for) should always be differentiated from bowhunting. Denmark (about the same size as England has very good laws when it comes to this).
But I digress:
Is the hunting of rabbits, when it poses no danger to human life illegal on public land when using a slingshot (not to my knowledge classed as an 'offensive weapon' in public, but can be seen as an offensive weapon when used as a weapon against other people or property.

I'd like to be able to legally hunt some of these rabbits for food on public land, though if that isn't illegal I'll probably apply for hunting insurance and politely (send them a letter with the inquiry first with a contact number, email address and home address) ask the landowner/s of the fields (the rabbits often nip under the fences to feed/play) in the fields and the fences would be great places to anchor (legal, 'free running' snares) with the landowner's permission. People (<18) occasionally camp and drink there during the summer and the landowners have occasionally asked the authorities to simply ask them to either turn music down or not light fires (I was there about six years ago visiting the younger brother of a friend (with said friend) who was up there, the police came along; ignored the alcohol and said that the landowners phoned them and simply wanted the campfires extinguished, the music turned down/off and that people "go to their tents and wrap things up for the night") When walking I'll still find cider/beer cans as well as bottles, 'stray' coils of old barbed wire and the like and may offer to clean up the fields for them (they occasionally have cows/bulls grazing there) in exchange for the right to hunt on their land. I've already asked about this and been told hunting insurance as well as leaving a letter in the landowner's door and if called/emailed/sent a letter to turn up well dressed, show that I have insurance and offer to help in exchange for the right to hunt 'pest animals' on their land.

The main question is, however; can the rabbits be hunted on public land, using a (double or triple gold therabanded slingshot) where I pose no danger to others?

Thanks for the help.

Edit:
Nope, not at cavehill. There's too many people walking around there for it to be safe at all.
Upper Cregagh glen (near Lagan college) is where I've been thinking of. There's the glen then private pasture for miles around up there. There's Mount Ober Golf course and driving range further up but hunting will certainly be illegal there too. However there's a nice slice of land in between, I'd love to see if I could hunt there as when I go for walks there are almost always rabbits/sounds of them moving in the bush but a complete and utter shortage of predators such as foxes; crows seem to be their sole threat. It's practically like a Watership Down haven for rabbits, I wouldn't mind taking a few every month while still preserving their habitat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poacherman

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Is there actually such a thing as "public land" anywhere in the UK now? (as in owned by public authority and not privately, not the same thing as common land, which is usually still private...)

DavidDavidson

Apr 30, 2015
Northern Ireland
Cheers, I'm unsure about the legality of it either, however I can always seek permission to hunt and (possibly) trap in the (privately owned) fields next to the glen in exchange for helping out with any mess left over in the fields they own. It can never hurt to ask and leaving a note with the query and my contact details means I don't end up looking like a salesman on their doorstep.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The main question is, however; can the rabbits be hunted on public land

As I understand it, the key phrase or term legally is 'authorized person' - regardless of who the land belongs to, including public ownership, it will be controlled by someone, some committee or organization and without due authority from them you're not an 'authorized person'. The Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) (Schedule 7 section 12) refers to the Ground Game Act (1880) and specifically states 'In this paragraph "ground game" means hares and rabbits' (source) so don't believe someone if they suggest that certain animals aren't covered by the WCA '81 as they pretty much all are.

Essentially, you need authorization for 'pest control' regardless of where it is undertaken - given that local government is one of the greatest bastions of red tape the World has ever seen, I wish you the very best of luck in obtaining it ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I seem to recollect a video over on YT that covers the legality of hunting small game in Northern Ireland with catapults.

If I remember rightly he was told under a law specific to NI that it was illegal to hunt any animal using a projectile that wasn't fired from a firearm so that rules out bow hunting, crossbows and catapults.

I'll have a look see to see if I can find the video again

Edit: Found it.

[video=youtube;0vyefcDOIPc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vyefcDOIPc&t=115s[/video]

Blurb with the video:
Published on 7 Jun 2014
Here is the Law.
Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild animals
12. &#8212;
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person&#8212;
(a) sets in position or otherwise uses any self-locking snare which is of such a nature and so placed as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal coming into contact therewith;
(aa) sets in position or otherwise uses any other type of snare which is either of such a nature or so placed (or both) as to be calculated to cause unnecessary suffering to any wild animal coming into contact with it;
(b) uses for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal, any missile which is not discharged from a firearm, including in particular any arrow or spear, or any explosive other than ammunition for a firearm; or
(c) uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal, any sound recording or any live mammal or bird whatever,
he shall be guilty of an offence.

Last edited:

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I know that in NI rabbit can be hunted all year round as there is no 'protected season'
One thing I need to clarify however is whether or not it's legal to hunt them with a slingshot on public land (provided you are not posing any danger to other people. I can walk for fifteen minutes (I live on the outer suburbs of Belfast) until I get to a public owned piece of land where there are plenty of rabbit warrens. They're somewhat off-trail and require a bit of slope climbing; essentially the area has two public paths (one on the lower part of the slope, one on a slightly higher part of the slope and if you climb further you get to an area of somewhat thick foliage on the top part of the slope, which has a fence at the very top (leading to a privately owned, but occasionally walked field which can be accessed through a latched gate from a different area of the glen. The rabbits have extensive warrens on this top, unpaved (the other two have basic gravel paths) slope and I've been wondering about the legality of shooting the rabbits with a slingshot on this top part of the slope. An air rifle in NI requires a FAC which will be hard for me to get as when I was younger I got a conviction for posession of a class C substance resulting in community service and a fine (the CS was completed and the fine paid in full), I also know that possession of an air rifle on public land is very illegal (I'm a good shot with both a bow and crossbow but would never take either off my property unless the string was removed (bow) or the crossbow was in a locked bag being transported to a friend's private land for target use); use of bows for hunting is illegal here. Personally I feel that bowhunting could be legal. However it should require as much scrutiny, safeguards and training as obtaining a driver's licence and that a hunting bow should be marked with a bar/QRcode (applied with the same type of stickers which read 'void' when peeled off) this means the bow can be scanned by law enforcement personnel along with an inspection of your hunting licence if you are participating in bowhunting. This is a personal opinion and would be quite an undertaking as target shooting (which is what I use both of my bows for) should always be differentiated from bowhunting. Denmark (about the same size as England has very good laws when it comes to this).
But I digress:
Is the hunting of rabbits, when it poses no danger to human life illegal on public land when using a slingshot (not to my knowledge classed as an 'offensive weapon' in public, but can be seen as an offensive weapon when used as a weapon against other people or property.

I'd like to be able to legally hunt some of these rabbits for food on public land, though if that isn't illegal I'll probably apply for hunting insurance and politely (send them a letter with the inquiry first with a contact number, email address and home address) ask the landowner/s of the fields (the rabbits often nip under the fences to feed/play) in the fields and the fences would be great places to anchor (legal, 'free running' snares) with the landowner's permission. People (<18) occasionally camp and drink there during the summer and the landowners have occasionally asked the authorities to simply ask them to either turn music down or not light fires (I was there about six years ago visiting the younger brother of a friend (with said friend) who was up there, the police came along; ignored the alcohol and said that the landowners phoned them and simply wanted the campfires extinguished, the music turned down/off and that people "go to their tents and wrap things up for the night") When walking I'll still find cider/beer cans as well as bottles, 'stray' coils of old barbed wire and the like and may offer to clean up the fields for them (they occasionally have cows/bulls grazing there) in exchange for the right to hunt on their land. I've already asked about this and been told hunting insurance as well as leaving a letter in the landowner's door and if called/emailed/sent a letter to turn up well dressed, show that I have insurance and offer to help in exchange for the right to hunt 'pest animals' on their land.

The main question is, however; can the rabbits be hunted on public land, using a (double or triple gold therabanded slingshot) where I pose no danger to others?

Thanks for the help.

Edit:
Nope, not at cavehill. There's too many people walking around there for it to be safe at all.
Upper Cregagh glen (near Lagan college) is where I've been thinking of. There's the glen then private pasture for miles around up there. There's Mount Ober Golf course and driving range further up but hunting will certainly be illegal there too. However there's a nice slice of land in between, I'd love to see if I could hunt there as when I go for walks there are almost always rabbits/sounds of them moving in the bush but a complete and utter shortage of predators such as foxes; crows seem to be their sole threat. It's practically like a Watership Down haven for rabbits, I wouldn't mind taking a few every month while still preserving their habitat.
Iff u want to use a slingshot hares are much easier quarry on a open field when they spot u they lie flat in there form ears pinned back they let u get very close before bolting most off the time , iv nearly stepped on hares approaching from the front is good as they have very poor forward vision u can bodyshot them with 40 cal lead ball double therand bands destroying the heart , lungs then break the neck swiftly.

Wildwalk

Jan 19, 2024
Northern Ireland
The first thing is there is no public or common land in Northern Ireland it’s all owned and you are allowed on it only by the permission of the landowner. This could be by agreement from the council or the land owner. Hunting with a catapult is actually illegal in Northern Ireland I see mesquite has put up legislation which outlines it. Snaring is allowed although types and how the snare is constructed is specified in gov legislation. You can get permission for snaring by asking the landowner. Some are quite happy as rabbits can become a problem in areas. Speak to green keepers at golf courses. Hunting with a fire arm is the most popular as pest control method. Also coming back is falconry. Don’t think that just because you had a conviction that you are barred speak to your local fire arms officer at your nearest psni station they can help you out:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
But I digress:

Thanks for the help.

Edit:
Upper Cregagh glen (near Lagan college) is where I've been thinking of. There's the glen then private pasture for miles around up there. There's Mount Ober Golf course and driving range further up but hunting will certainly be illegal there too. However there's a nice slice of land in between, I'd love to see if I could hunt there as when I go for walks there are almost always rabbits/sounds of them moving in the bush but a complete and utter shortage of predators such as foxes; crows seem to be their sole threat. It's practically like a Watership Down haven for rabbits, I wouldn't mind taking a few every month while still preserving their habit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE