what's the law regarding carrying a knife to and from woods in uk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 10, 2012
essex
I'm planning going Cornwall next year and one morning would like to just get up go for a walk make a cuppa on a small open fire hopefully next to a stream. now i just want to make sure what the law is so im less likely to get it taken away. also what's the law for a small open fire?

thanks guys

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
It depends what sort of knife you're planning on taking mate.

If its less than 3" long and doesn't lock then it's legal, you do not need a reason. If it is longer than 3" and or locks then you need a reasonable excuse, this is a subjective call though. As it is subjective, if you were stopped it would depend on whether the police officer who stops and sees you with it/finds the knife (search powers are a whole different thing) thinks your justification is 'reasonable'.

If you are in the wilds it is

A) unlikely you'd be stopped by the police
B) unlikely you'd have a problem if you are stopped

But, if you do get stopped and the police officer doesn't accept your justification you run the risk of being reported/arrested for carrying a pointed/bladed object or an offensive weapon (depending on the knife)

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
There are loads of threads on this subject and it always stirs a discussion on here. The law allows you to carry a non locking folding knife of 3.5 inches without reason*.
However you can carry a larger fixed blade for work or sport so in this instance you can justify carrying your fixed blade. Common sense must apply though, cover it in public etc to save yourself any hassle.

As for fires, you need the land owners permission, but check out the national trust/forestry commissons rule in the area first. Certain areas have certain rules to prevent forest fire.

Enjoy!

*seperate law is in place for planes, railways and schools.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2012
essex
this is the knife i have http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/399-Morakniv-Companion-MG-Clipper-Knife/ . i only ask about the law cos one of the possible places i will be staying is about mile or 2 from some woods and you never know. i will also have couple of other bits like flint stick,metal mug ,camera gear and anything else i decide i might take so it doesn't look like I'm a raving loony. the fire bit im not sure who owns the forrest and i would really only have a fire on the water's edge as i hopefully wouldn't need it in a life or death situation.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Its 3" mate, we may tell the girls it doesn't matter but in law it does.....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...s-with-blades-or-points-and-offensive-weapons

There are loads of threads on this subject and it always stirs a discussion on here. The law allows you to carry a non locking folding knife of 3.5 inches without reason*.
However you can carry a larger fixed blade for work or sport so in this instance you can justify carrying your fixed blade. Common sense must apply though, cover it in public etc to save yourself any hassle.

As for fires, you need the land owners permission, but check out the national trust/forestry commissons rule in the area first. Certain areas have certain rules to prevent forest fire.

Enjoy!

*seperate law is in place for planes, railways and schools.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm planning going Cornwall next year and one morning would like to just get up go for a walk make a cuppa on a small open fire hopefully next to a stream. now i just want to make sure what the law is so im less likely to get it taken away. also what's the law for a small open fire?

thanks guys

Best for a first post to introduce yourself in the new members section, having done that have a look around at past threads and you will find several hundred posts regarding carrying a blade in the UK.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

thanks guys

Hello and welcome to the BCUK...........

next to that trying a search always helps...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE