Bumper Harvest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree :) folk think it a good thing that I make jam, but some of the rest they just wonder why I bother :rolleyes:
I think that's one of the things I really like about this community; the sheer range of interests of so many capable people :D

cheers,
M

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I agree. I have always been keen to brew my own beer and wine (I even tried distilling at one point but we wont mention that as its illegal). I have always made jam, preserving fruits etc, pies, bread and general home cooking. I even built a hot and a cold smoker so I could preserve through that means too. I stopped doing all that for a while when I got a job as a base superintendent for a subsea company. Time was not my friend and the job took over my life. The only thing I did was continue smoking any fish I caught or the odd joint of ham etc. I left the job when my missus got a job on Arran and since moving here and becoming a house husband I have decided to take it all up again.

Mary is it the SWRI European cookbook your on about?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
An elderly Auntie died, and there among her cook books was a first edition of the Book :) it still had all the home brewing recipes in it. It looked really well used, and before I could do much more than recover it and have a quick compare with my own later copy, Son1 appropriated it :rolleyes:
I'm sure his great, great Aunt put him up to it :)

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
An elderly Auntie died, and there among her cook books was a first edition of the Book :) it still had all the home brewing recipes in it. It looked really well used, and before I could do much more than recover it and have a quick compare with my own later copy, Son1 appropriated it :rolleyes:
I'm sure his great, great Aunt put him up to it :)

M

Now does that one have the recipe for pea and ham soup... from a chicken (now that's clever)?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, but it did have pea and ham soup, and how to cut up the pig for the specific joints to be salted that you'd later use to boil up to make the pea and ham soup :)

It even discussed capons as being better than chickens :)
Didn't explain how to caponise a chicken though ......

That advert must be 30 years old, and it still makes us smile :D

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No, but it did have pea and ham soup, and how to cut up the pig for the specific joints to be salted that you'd later use to boil up to make the pea and ham soup :)

It even discussed capons as being better than chickens :)
Didn't explain how to caponise a chicken though ......

That advert must be 30 years old, and it still makes us smile :D

atb,
M

Aye and you have to go all the way to Inverness for a chicken... That's devotion for ye.

On the caponising front it's been banned in the UK as far as I'm aware? Could be wrong.

[video=youtube;qWl63PO6DIg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWl63PO6DIg[/video]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: It's a soup day here.
I've got broth on, my neighbour has lentil (I could smell it when I went out to the back garden) and the one two over, who has the back door open, smells like it's chicken and rice today. Further up the street, yep, it's certainly ham simmering, so there's your pea and ham :)
It's a dreich, damp, overcast day. Soup's just comfort food :)

M

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I'm making my daughters favourite as a treat. She has not been well over the past few days and off her food but seemed to get her appetite back this morning and she's back to school.

Mix of mozzarella bruschetta and garlic basil and tomato bruschetta with a big bowl of black olives to start with. For main course its mushroom tortellini, chicken and prawns with blue cheese sauce!!...

Its a long story but basically my old boss used to order it when we went out for a meal at the local Italian restaurant. My daughter had it and its now her favourite meal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Balls Blue turned up this morning along with my jar tongs. Gonna get another batch of jam made quick before I have to go down to England.

Looks like a good read. I'm looking forward to spending a few hours reading through it.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
:eek: It's a soup day here.
I've got broth on, my neighbour has lentil (I could smell it when I went out to the back garden) and the one two over, who has the back door open, smells like it's chicken and rice today. Further up the street, yep, it's certainly ham simmering, so there's your pea and ham :)
It's a dreich, damp, overcast day. Soup's just comfort food :)

M

When im feeling a tad on the low side or missing my mum I make a potato soup it seems to connect us again and like you say its comfort food in a bowl I love it

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is the "bible" for canning - although I also use the Ball home preserving book (left hand side in the picture)

Canning Books by British Red, on Flickr

The recipes can be found in one or the other - rarely both, so if you get "into it", its worth buying the home preserving volume as well - which is a bigger volume, more recipe focussed and less "how to" :)

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Productive weekend...

Haws leather is done and cut into strips.

Found some horseradish on a walk yesterday. After a funny 10 minutes with a blender and trying to see through the tears I got it prepared. lol Tonight I used some of it and made creamed horseradish sauce to go with a nice joint of local venison. Very nice, allbeit a bit runny. Anyone got a good recipe for creamed horseradish sauce?

Rowan schnapps is also done.

Rosehip jelly tomorrow night :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use a US based one

[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup grated fresh horseradish
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
[h=2]Directions[/h] Place all of the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow flavors to meld. Sauce can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2 to 3 weeks.

I use my own whole grain mustard instead of Dijon which gives an interesting flavour (and needs 2tbs), I also use cider vinegar (just because I make it) and a hand full of chopped fennel - but play as you see fit

We have to eat the stuff here or it takes over the dykes!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Thanks Red, That's basically the recipe I used but I didn't have the white wine vinegar, I only had malt or raspberry vinegar so I left it out. I think my issue was I didn't whip the cream long enough. I also didn't put that much Dijon mustard in there.

I have just been looking about on the web and there are quite a few recipes that say to whisk the cream until it peaks and then add the other ingredients. I might try that next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE