Bumper Harvest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You do need the vinegar for its preservative qualities unless you plan to eat it almost straight away chap. No harm in whipping the cram - or make with dry mustard to thicken

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I only made a small batch tonight and what's left over has been earmarked for my lunch tomorrow so is in the fridge. I think it will go well with a nice roast beef sandwich in home baked bread :D

Hmmm, never thought of using mustard powder. I will give that a go next time.

The fresh horseradish was prepped with the last of my white vinegar so that should keep for a week or more in the fridge. Although in my flap of not thinking I had enough vinegar and searching my cupboards for more, I did leave adding it to the freshly minced horseradish for about 5 minutes. Damn! talk about rocket fuel!!! :lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<chuckle>

I will only peel and grate outdoors on a windy day with horseradish

Why not grow your own mustard? It would love your climate, needs a short season, makes an excellent green manure and a useful condiment. I wrote a thread on it somewhere.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I'm dying to get my garden going but unfortunately this house is only a temporary stay. As soon as our house is sold in Aberdeenshire we will be putting in an offer on another house on Arran. I don't want to invest all my time and money bringing in tons of topsoil and propagating seeds to leave it for the next person who would probably dig it all up and turf it! I have a mate who has a poly tunnel with my name on it just waiting for me to say the word. The house we have our eye on has a decent sized garden and perfect for growing my own produce.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No probs mate - if you need stuff in the mean time (like mustard), we can sort you out I'm sure

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Thanks Red. The help and advice I have had on here so far has been excellent. Things I have been doing for years thinking it was the only way have now been looked at with a fresh pair of eyes. I how look at things and differently and I have started experimenting with new ways, ingredients and additives etc. Sometimes its good to have a kick up the butt and to climb out of a rut!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My favourite patch of sweet chestnut trees has produced a bumper crop. Hopefully this rain will stop soon and I can go back and get some more. Any ideas how to prolong their storage?

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Have you got any recipies or tips for pickling, I can't find anything about it but it sounds good. I Found out that keeping them in the fridge prolongs their life but it's hard to stop them sweating in there.

Some of my sprouts looks just about ready though and I've got some nice thick bacon from the butcher so we're definitely going to combine the three this weekend :cool:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
<chuckle>

I will only peel and grate outdoors on a windy day with horseradish

Why not grow your own mustard? It would love your climate, needs a short season, makes an excellent green manure and a useful condiment. I wrote a thread on it somewhere.
Red, Can you use the mustard seeds (sold as spices) for planting? Reason I ask is I'm looking for black mustard seeds to grow, but no one seems to sell them for growing this side of the pond.
Are the black mustard seeds sold for spices, treated in anyway to stop them germinating?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE