Xmas hamper 2023

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm just thinking ( and kicking myself ) how nice it maybe to make some seasonal items over the course of a year to be able to give as a Xmas hamper for next Chrimbo.

What things could be made from the upcoming seasonal produce that would then benefit from the time to mature and improve in flavour?

I will take a look into British Reds YT series but wonder if there are anything that can make a list.
As long as it preserves well I may as well make a dozen little kilner jars worth as opposed to just the one big one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We gave a few out this year.

Dried fruit is very popular (apple rings, raspberries & strawberry slices particularly)

Dried onion pieces, garlic powder, tomato powder and herb mixes (particularly our Italian herb mix and chilli powder)

Country wines are always popular as is blackberry port

Home made bacon and ham is warmly received as are fruit cakes (based on dried plums rather than grapes)

Oddly home made soap and shampoo seems popular and particularly hand cream. Dubbin for the outdoor types.

Any number of pickles & chutney work well as do home made cheeses

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sloe gin of course; I've yet to bottle the 2022 vintage :)

We've got plenty of blackcurrants in the freezer for more blackcurrant jam (my favourite) and green beans for pickle. Most of our made up pickles & jams will be used up by the next harvest; that's always the plan of course - next Christmas people will get next autumn's produce.

Reactions: TeeDee

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I made lots of Christmas presents this year.
Some last better than others.

Very simple crackers: 50/50 sourdough starter and rye flour, salt, some melted butter. Rolled and baked. Really good with cheese. Keep well in an airtight container.

Apricot chutney, using dried apricots, some leftover plums, tomatoes, bay leaves ginger, lemon zest.

Salt. This year I made pink peppercorn salt, using peppercorns I gathered in Portugal (I know).
Also smoked garlic salt. I smoked lots of ramson buds then ground them with salt. It's amazing.

Pickled ramsons buds are also delicious: cider vinegar and a little sugar. They develop well over time.

Pickled quince is a favourite of mine. Again, bay, peppercorns. Great with cheese.

Chinese chilli oil, pretty darn fine with almost everything. Maybe not cornflakes. I can find a link to the recipe if you're interested.

Dukkah: recipes abound, but roasted hazelnuts, cumin, coriander are non-negotiables for me.

Various herbal tinctures. Dandelion is a favourite.

Juniper syrup is this year's delicious thing. As others inspired me to make it from the forum. Using either pine/spruce tips or cones and sugar. Great stuff!

Maybe they're not all things that develop over time, but they're things I enjoy eating, using and making.

Happy to share recipes/methods give me a shout.

• Wow
Reactions: SCOMAN and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I made lots of Christmas presents this year.
Some last better than others.

Very simple crackers: 50/50 sourdough starter and rye flour, salt, some melted butter. Rolled and baked. Really good with cheese. Keep well in an airtight container.

Apricot chutney, using dried apricots, some leftover plums, tomatoes, bay leaves ginger, lemon zest.

Salt. This year I made pink peppercorn salt, using peppercorns I gathered in Portugal (I know).
Also smoked garlic salt. I smoked lots of ramson buds then ground them with salt. It's amazing.

Pickled ramsons buds are also delicious: cider vinegar and a little sugar. They develop well over time.

Pickled quince is a favourite of mine. Again, bay, peppercorns. Great with cheese.

Chinese chilli oil, pretty darn fine with almost everything. Maybe not cornflakes. I can find a link to the recipe if you're interested.

Dukkah: recipes abound, but roasted hazelnuts, cumin, coriander are non-negotiables for me.

Various herbal tinctures. Dandelion is a favourite.

Juniper syrup is this year's delicious thing. As others inspired me to make it from the forum. Using either pine/spruce tips or cones and sugar. Great stuff!

Maybe they're not all things that develop over time, but they're things I enjoy eating, using and making.

Happy to share recipes/methods give me a shout.

Again - yes please !!

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Chilli oil here

I've made it a few times now, and nearly double the spices. Simmer the onions/ garlic etc for at least an hour. Just don't eat them after, unless you want to expand to the size of a house! They're delicious!
I use whole dried chillis and chop them up, I prefer the texture, it really adds something.
A temperature probe was my friend here too.

• Love
Reactions: British Red

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Which do you want?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chilli oil here

I've made it a few times now, and nearly double the spices. Simmer the onions/ garlic etc for at least an hour. Just don't eat them after, unless you want to expand to the size of a house! They're delicious!
I use whole dried chillis and chop them up, I prefer the texture, it really adds something.
A temperature probe was my friend here too.
Awesome, thanks, I'll try it with some home grown chillies

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Awesome, thanks, I'll try it with some home grown chillies
I used a mixture of shop-bought and home grown chillis. My home-grown are tiny and crazy hot, so I need to turn the heat down a bit. Plus i like the variety of flavour in the Chinese long chillis.
Just make sure they're almost crumbly dry. They'll tend to fizz and pop a bit too much otherwise.
Which with hot oil, you don't want! :ar15:

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
500ml red wine vinegar
350g sugar
2 tsp juniper
1tsp coriander
4 Bay leaves
1 tsp peppercorns
3 quinces
lemon

peel and core the quinces, rub with cut lemon. Simmer the rest until the sugar dissolves.

Put the cut quinces (quartered works) simmer until just tender.
Pack into sterilised jars.
Adapt the aromatics as you see fit.
My recipe is very similar to this.
Again, as with everything adapt it to your taste.
I like hazelnuts but not too much. They shouldn't dominate the flavour.
Please don't use a blender. You lose the texture, which is part of the fun.
Good bread, good oil, dunk and enjoy.
This one, I think came from Toddy of this parish.
There's lots on the site here about Mugolio.
I'm not clever enough to put a link here.
I'll see if I can, just for fun.

• Love
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE