Bucksaw made in the woods

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Todays project was to make a buck saw

P1010290.jpg

I wanted to use only the knife and the blade to make the buck saw, but i have to admit due to time i did cheat an use the saw on my SAK to speed up the process as i found using the bucksaw blade very slow as i was unable to really put any pressure on the cuts. It would have been possible to do all the cuts with the blade though.

Cutting to length
P1010297.jpg

Cutting a grove in the end for the blade to sit
P1010298.jpg

P1010299.jpg

Cutting the notches with the EnZo
P1010308.jpg

P1010309.jpg

And shaping the crossbar
P1010305.jpg

After that it was the simple part of putting it together
P1010311.jpg

P1010321.jpg

Time for a quick test, sorry for the bad angle but i forgot my stand for the camera, so had to rest the camera on the log I was cutting
[video=youtube;g8Jb-nrm-XQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Jb-nrm-XQ&list=UU5JhzP_2xrfy7FkLwYiaowQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
goodjob

I made mine for the BushClass USA challenge which also makes you split wood with only a saw. You are only allowed to use a knife on theirs though so you have to batten the wood to length, etc

Framesawafteruse2.jpg

also had to make a bowsaw using just the blade (no knife at all)

Bowsaw.jpg

I got a little damage to one end of the bow saw as the blade tried to pull though even when bound and with the split links, but it held up OK

Bowsawdamagedend.jpg

The other end stayed OK

The notches could have been smaller on the buck saw but it held well and apart from a little movement backwards and forwards when sawing, it did a good job of this old hedge we removed (should be OK to burn in about a year ha ha)

and heres some pictures of the wood I split

100_2241.jpg

100_2244.jpg

100_2243.jpg

100_2242.jpg

It split right up to/from (which ever way you look at it) the stop cuts:p

Sorry for seeming to hijack the thread. A great tutorial dude :You_Rock_

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks all, I am pretty happy with my first attempt, i am sure with practice i will be able to improve my cuts and be quicker. It was something i had been wanting to do for a while and glad to know i dont have to go out and pay a small fortune for a bucksaw.

Thanks for posting Kev, good to see others, i will have to pop over to BCUSA and check out the Bushclass thread.

T.

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
Tank
youve made me decide to make my own, Thanks for sharing,
what is the book you have, in the first pic.
richard

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Tank
youve made me decide to make my own, Thanks for sharing,
what is the book you have, in the first pic.
richard
Pleasure Richard, its a good little project to do while relaxing in the woods.

The book is Mors Kochanski Bushcraft, however as you can see i didnt follow the one he shows in the end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE