Takedown bucksaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I was wondering if someone could help with answering some questions about takedown bucksaws? I recently bought a 24 inch saw. I had never used this type of equipment before. Any saw I had experience with was either a metal bowsaw or a folding saw.
After using it for awhile, I've found that the blade would stick when pushing forward, causing the blade to flex and bend, I thought I had tightened the windless enough to stop the blade from flexing but I am cautious of over tightening if this is possible?
How do you know when you have tightened the windless enough on your saw?
Who is there such thing as a multipurpose blade that will cut both green and dry wood or does it have to have one or the other? Should the tension of the blade be eased off when not in use
Any idea why the blade still flexes and bows during cutting?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Sounds a bit like your blade does not have enough set, that tends to cause sticking on fresh wood. Other possibility is that you have some resin from spruce or pine on the blade, wipe it off if so.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Are you using the correct blade for the wood your trying to cut?

In general I do find tightening the windlass works but also you have to make sure your letting the saw do the work and not pushing too hard. What brand saw did you get?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It could be that your saw is binding in the kerf. Is the blade deeper into the wood than it's own width (buried into the wood)?If so it's likely that the kerf is pinching the blade like a brake. Wedging the kerf can reduce this.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I like to have the saw blade so tight that if you take hold of it in the middle you can't twist it more than 45 degrees. The only all-purpose blade is one for green wood - that will cut green and seasoned wood. Any other will bind in green wood. If it's a good quality, greenwood blade (there are some rubbish ones on the market), and it's clean as mentioned above, it shouldn't stick.

Reactions: MrEd

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a frame saw tightened by a windlass in my workshop for wood working, when not in use I do slack it off a bit.

Is the saw still cutting straight, or is it cupping?

I can tell you that this saw was not highly tensioned, and it worked fine (new "green wood" Bahco blade) to provide our group with cooking fire wood for five days.

DSC02253 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
DSC02196 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I like to have the saw blade so tight that if you take hold of it in the middle you can't twist it more than 45 degrees. The only all-purpose blade is one for green wood - that will cut green and seasoned wood. Any other will bind in green wood. If it's a good quality, greenwood blade (there are some rubbish ones on the market), and it's clean as mentioned above, it shouldn't stick.
What are you thinking for decent quality blades - I always think bahco but are there others to consider?

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Two, and one man crosscut felling and bucking and dimensional saws
Come with Lance, Champion and Tuttle tooth patterns. The lance has
Both cutting and raker teeth for soft and Greenwood’s, the rakers ( the outer curled teeth) help cut the fibers and push out chips as the teeth cut deeper. The other pattern are variations on the old Roman saws that use raw power to cut hard and seasoned woods

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
The old ‘Pit Saws ‘ employed two men cutting dimensional timber. One man in a pit pulled down and was the ‘pitman’ recognized by a straw hat for falling sawdust. The
Tillerman above would raise and guide the saw for each cut. He’s the guy in the old Cat Stevens song.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The old ‘Pit Saws ‘ employed two men cutting dimensional timber. One man in a pit pulled down and was the ‘pitman’ recognized by a straw hat for falling sawdust. The
Tillerman above would raise and guide the saw for each cut. He’s the guy in the old Cat Stevens song.

Very frequently, the 'pitman' in the estates around here was a 'pit woman' - a dreadful, tiring, dirty job with constant eye problems from the various wood dusts and I dare say lung and breathing problems later in life :(

Reactions: Kav

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Silky saws have become a bushcraft ‘MUST’ along with paracord, pharaoh rods and scandi grinds. I know, they outperform even a cheap chainsaw.
You show up with OMG- a Bahco Laplander, you poor soul; and it’s Monty Python ‘ Bring out yerdead’
My hickory bucksaw has 3 spare blades; one Bahco hard and two soft/wet blades in a package no bigger than a comparable Silky.
If I’m tired, cold or hungry ( dummy
Plan ahead next time) it’s macro size and forgiving blades cut wood
Like their tooth patterns have for centuries. I’ve even managed to cut
Soft wood with hard blade and vs a vs. It’s not impossible.
To many tools have substituted performance over robustness and user skill.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've not encountered the problem you mention with a bucksaw but I carry a wax candle in my tool kit for panel saws if the blade is binding. Just a bit of a rub with the candle and it stops....might be worth a go for you?

Reactions: John Elstob

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Are you using the correct blade for the wood your trying to cut?

In general I do find tightening the windlass works but also you have to make sure your letting the saw do the work and not pushing too hard. What brand saw did you get?
The saw does not have any brand name bud, i got from a maker on etsy. When I got the saw when came had an irwin multipurpose blade in and was dreadful. As try as I might the blade would not tighten sufficiently to stop blade movement. I ended up snapping the original string (that was paracord) trying to get sufficient tension so the original blade would stop flexing, bowing. I swapped it out for a Bahco blade straight away and it made a difference straight away. But the blade still wander's when in the kerf, it cups, an jumps too. I also am trying not to use brute force when cutting.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
How does the e tension compare to your metal framed bow saw? I would expect it to be similar.

I’m wondering if the way the frame has been made it can’t exert sufficient force on tightening the blade.

Reactions: FerlasDave

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I have a frame saw tightened by a windlass in my workshop for wood working, when not in use I do slack it off a bit.

Is the saw still cutting straight, or is it cupping?

I can tell you that this saw was not highly tensioned, and it worked fine (new "green wood" Bahco blade) to provide our group with cooking fire wood for five days.

DSC02253 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
DSC02196 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
Yes the saw blade does cup and on stuff that 4" plus it will not cut straight

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
If I may, no promotion intended; www.bonevalleyco.com
I bought my 24” bucksaw and a matching hickory handled knife.
Good people and friends. You can
Read comments about the various wood characteristics, including an impact test and chart.
It may be a design fault, or issue with the wood’ stability.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yes the saw blade does cup and on stuff that 4" plus it will not cut straight
Bin the blade. Something is bent and there is no (practical) fixing it. Once a blade starts to cup cut no amount of tension you can apply will return it to straight.

Good news is that causing the bend that causes cupping is almost always down to user handling and technique, not an inherent quality of a particular saw frame, although the weight and balance of a backsaw frame might lead you to poor technique at first before you get used to it.

this is the video to watch. Mors Kochanski ”Saws”.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE