British public footpath system - are we lucky to have this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
....... . Pausing for a breather I noticed three young men walking along the minor road that runs parallel to the wood, they were obviously oblivious to my presence as one of them fell behind his mates, jumped over the wall, promptly dropped his trousers and squatted, intent on answering a call of nature. It was at this point that I offered a polite "good afternoon" and he turned his head to see a dirty, half naked, hairy man wearing next to nothing and carrying a GB Scandinavian felling axe...

I didn't know a man could run so fast with his trousers about his knees. :D

Funniest thing I've read in ages :D :lmao:

One of my Aunts used to do a lot of walking and cycling, her refrain of , "I want to pee alone !" was a testament to her constantly finding herself with company at the most inopportune moments :D

cheers,
M

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Is there anywhere one can find maps or whatever on these footpaths? Hopefully on the internet when planning for Scotland vacation.
And yeah, allemansrätten is awesome. I wish you all could have it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No, it belongs to the person whose head it's on.

That analogy is like a farmer and his workforce - the workers tend the crops (i.e. cut the hair), but the head (land) is owned by the famer.

Next thing you know there'll be a picture of a crying Red Indian pointing out that we are only borrowing the land from our children or some such glurge. ;)

It was intended as the land (head) and all people. :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Is there anywhere one can find maps or whatever on these footpaths? Hopefully on the internet when planning for Scotland vacation.

If you have a look on the Ordnance Survey web site (http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk), you can look online at maps at different scalings (you can print out small paper maps), though you'd really want a paper map if you are going to do any serious navigation. The maps are organised on standard grid squares, though the popular tourist areas will often have special 'compilation' maps centred on that particular area (otherwise you may have to buy several maps).

For general walking, the 1:50,000 maps should be fine but for more serious navigation, the 1:25,000 series would be more appropriate (and more expensive as you may need more maps!). I think you can buy online from the Ordnance Survey Site.

Geoff

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
It's worth having a look in the likes of your local Waterstones, WHSmiths as they sometimes have an offer on ordinance survey maps......two for the price of one or three for the price of two....etc.

Smoggy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE