British public footpath system - are we lucky to have this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
After one or two holidays in France and Eire over the last few years, I came home thinking how lucky we are to have the (extensive) signed footpath system that we have in the UK.

Accepting that the footpaths only allow you to walk along the path, and that some landowners do obstruct paths, they do nevertheless give us the right and means to walk over a very large amount of the countryside. OK it still isn't a full right to roam, but you can look at an OS map and see that there is a very extensive network available to us.

I didn't see such a system in France, and down on the Mizen Head in Eire all of the fields seemed to be enclosed, with padlocked gates.

Of course, there may be such systems in other countries, which I missed, and I'm not being complacent in thinking that I wouldn't like more access rights for responsible folk, but I was wondering what other people thought of what we do have and whether such a system does, in fact, exist in other countries.

Geoff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the footpath system is great. It permits access without granting full right to roam (which personally I am against in the majority of areas other than perhaps mountains, some moors etc.)

Footpaths strike me as a great compromise allowing us to experience some beautiful spots.

Where I have wanted wider access I have found generally that asking, and offering something in return and recognising that the person who maintains the land is showing trust in me has generally been sufficient. I quite like the fact that my "rights" come with "responsibilities" - it appeals to my sense of fair play.

We all like to go somewhere "different" now and again though - and footpaths give us that privilege.

It is, as you say, a great system in a nice, quiet, polite British way :)

Red

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
You haven't seen the signposts in Germany! :D

Here in Germany, we don't have maps. We have forests of designated and signpoted as such footpaths instead! So many that it sometimes can be irritating. People here normally don't take maps on bimbles, they rely on these signposts...

As I have actually lived in both countries (UK and Germany) and have walked extensively in both, I can say that the access in UK (in terms of where you can actually go) is better, though in terms of clarity and amount of signposting, Germany wins hands down...

Just my impression...

Mike

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
You haven't seen the signposts in Germany! :D

Here in Germany, we don't have maps. We have forests of designated and signpoted as such footpaths instead! So many that it sometimes can be irritating. People here normally don't take maps on bimbles, they rely on these signposts...

I have first hand experience of the signposted routes in the Schwarzwald, nr. Freiburg. I was great to be able to explore without the need for a map. Pity about the weather though - 7 days of solid sunshine, with rain on the day we decide to take the cable car up :rolleyes:

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Last summer I walked and hammocked with my partner in the Swiss mountains. The maps are first class and the signposting amazing. You get the location name and altitude as well as distance and time to walk to the next place. The scenary was alright, too.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The paths are good imo, the only drawback being everyone uses them and unless you are on a quiet path then it can be busy. I'm not a people fan.

Whats annoys me is people saying where we can and can't go. NOBODY owns the land, yet many think they do. They merely inhabit it for a short while.

I have respect for people and the land itself. Yet i will respect no man, woman, law or rule which tells me where i can and can not go. Period. The only things ownable are what we make for ourselves.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
amazes me the places you find signposts tbh, i wonder about the poor sod that has to lug these up hills and mountains so us lot know where we are ;)
pete

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its people like you who make walkers unpopular with landowners.

I knew someone with this attitude, they wanted to walk down a private drive rather than the parellell but less convenient footpath. This ensued in a nasty argument with the landowner who wished to drive their vehicle down the narrow drive without the safety hazard and inconvenience of meeting a pedestrian on it.

Now hie off to a country with no privately owned land; this is not one.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its people like you who make walkers unpopular with landowners.

Now hie off to a country with no privately owned land; this is not one.
People like me eh? Funny that. especially when you consider that a lot of my close friends are landowners, and they have become friends through me using their land.
You see, i understand your point. And the bad attitude belongs to you as was shown in your post. I have worked with or alongside landowners for years i have worked as a gamekeeper, i help with the harvests i beat and volunteer any work that needs doing i do pest control for numerous landowners, i fix damaged gates and clear fallen trees etc. I am not one of those bad attitude hikers you seem to think i am. The reason i go where i please is because i help wherever i go and find people appreciative of it and no one has ever challenged me. In fact quite the opposite.

My earlier post obviously does not put this across. I am a man who will match manners with manners and attitude with attitude. If anyone came over with a bad attitude they would cop for it trust me. I show respect they show respect, thats the way it works. I bet anyone who has had an earful of someone who has land has deserved it in one way or another, maybe climbing fences or being gobby etc.

based on your post tengu YOUR attitude stinks.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The paths are good imo, the only drawback being everyone uses them and unless you are on a quiet path then it can be busy. I'm not a people fan.

Whats annoys me is people saying where we can and can't go. NOBODY owns the land, yet many think they do. They merely inhabit it for a short while.

I have respect for people and the land itself. Yet i will respect no man, woman, law or rule which tells me where i can and can not go. Period. The only things ownable are what we make for ourselves.

Totally agree sir.

Saved a few owners and tenants a bob or two in the past by saving livestock or patching fences etc by myself.

If the idiots stray and cause bother then it's easy enough to have them done with criminal damage or breach of the peace,if merited.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
After one or two holidays in France and Eire over the last few years, I came home thinking how lucky we are to have the (extensive) signed footpath system that we have in the UK.

Accepting that the footpaths only allow you to walk along the path, and that some landowners do obstruct paths, they do nevertheless give us the right and means to walk over a very large amount of the countryside. OK it still isn't a full right to roam, but you can look at an OS map and see that there is a very extensive network available to us.

I didn't see such a system in France, and down on the Mizen Head in Eire all of the fields seemed to be enclosed, with padlocked gates.

Of course, there may be such systems in other countries, which I missed, and I'm not being complacent in thinking that I wouldn't like more access rights for responsible folk, but I was wondering what other people thought of what we do have and whether such a system does, in fact, exist in other countries.

Geoff

There are footpaths in Ireland, been on some of them.

The long distance trails

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_trails_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
We have National walking trails like the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. And many National parks that have unlimited walking access.

http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html AT info and links

http://www.nps.gov/ National Park Service

No doubt the Appalachian Trail rocks. 2000 miles long and you can camp along it. Which is my complaint about most US public lands rustic camping is not allowed. I know it is hard to police those areas but more places where you can set up camp where ever you want is needed.

One of my dreams is to have the time off to hike the length of the AT.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Which is my complaint about most US public lands rustic camping is not allowed. I know it is hard to police those areas but more places where you can set up camp where ever you want is needed.

The western US states have plenty of public lands, most of which you can camp wherever you like, in many areas for up to 30 days in one location:) . Trails galore.

Most National Parks have designated camping areas due to the large number of visitors, it's the National Forest and Bureau of Land Management lands where you can get out and do as you please.

Elbow room:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Public-Lands-Western-US.png
public land nearly twice the size of the UK where ONLY camping is allowed.

The Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail are two other biggies, Mexico to Canada:
http://www.pcta.org/about_trail/overview.asp
http://www.cdtrail.org/page.php?pname=about

There's the American Discovery Trail, 6,800miles:
http://www.discoverytrail.org/

Colorado and Arizona have their own trails:
http://www.coloradotrail.org/
http://www.aztrail.org/

Any long walks down under?;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I didn't see such a system in France...Of course, there may be such systems in other countries, which I missed..."

France has an extensive system of interconnecting footpaths, some good for a days hike while others will take weeks to complete. Wild camping is not permitted, however if you are sensible and far from civilization you will get away with a 'stealth' camp. A list of French routes may be found here.

Hungary has several well supported and well marked routes, the 'Kéktúra' or 'Blue Tour' will take you from the Austrian border to the north east of the country, maps, photographs and English text may be found on this website.

Romania provides a slightly more ruffty-tuffty walking experience in the Fogaras Mountains of Erdély (Transylvania). This English language website will provide you with photographs, routes etc.

Turkey will give you a real sense of adventure on its long distance paths, the 'Lycian Way' provides a varied landscape and many interesting encounters with man and beast throughout the thirty odd days it will take you to complete. An English language website may be found here.

:)

P

Psy23

I agree with that. Respect where respect is due, that is, where it is mutual.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Here in Germany, we don't have maps. We have forests of designated and signpoted as such footpaths instead! So many that it sometimes can be irritating. People here normally don't take maps on bimbles, they rely on these signposts.

Interesting! My German wife (Hamburg - not so far from Luneburg) says that there is nothing in Germany like our public right of way footpaths across farmland.

Jim

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Interesting! My German wife (Hamburg - not so far from Luneburg) says that there is nothing in Germany like our public right of way footpaths across farmland.

Jim

I cannot comment on 'rights of way' in Germany however they do have an extensive trial system, the excellent 'Westweg' (Black Forest Trail) for instance. :D

Links here and here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE