British Forces Hexamine Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
as the guys said above its a sturdy reliable item of kit..when ever i use my hexy/esbit cooker around my buddys i get those looks from the stove snobs and they ask "hey vince do'nt you have money to buy a real stove" i just smile at them with my hot cup of tea and ask them how much they paid for thier high speed stove and then tell them how much i paid for mine...hexy/esbit not an end all do all stove but for the price you can't beat it.. vince g. 11b inf...

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Dirty, smelly, inefficient, garbage things whose only use is lighting a fire. I loathe them with a vengence, even in my serving days I found them worse than useless and would only use it when I had no alternative. Get yourself a proper cooking system that works, something like the Swedish army trangia.

(as he ducks and shout "incoming")

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Stop sitting on the fence John, and tell us what you really feel:D :D

I always have some spare hexi about. Cheap and reliable. Not fast & sexy however and not shiny enough to be fashionable.

G

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
i reckon sniper doesnt like hexi as he picked a block of hexi up thinking it was mint cake and bit into it, not that i have ever nearly done that, no sir not me, honest:lmao:

I reckon hexi is mana from the gods! I've used it for the last 25 years and as long as you keep it dry it always lights, always works a treat and has saved the day many a time when I have needed a quick brew. I still use it now and again.

This was on Loch Marree on my honeymoon when we stopped for a brew on one of the islands.We usually just use the hexi and improvise a stove like here.
f4cf3f54.jpg

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
I used them a lot. You got one in every 24hr Compo rat box. Just the mention of it and I can still recall the smell and acrid taste of the fumes.
I keep one in my truck just in case all through the winter.
Jon R.

Mang

Settler
Is there two types in use? I have a flimsy gold coloured one which I take as the throwaway armed forces issue one, but I brought a black one (same design) in a huge army surplus store in Pembrokshire and it's miles more robust.

We have some hobo stoves that we use with the Cubs and the burner fits inside just nicely.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
B****y love em!
Yes they smell, but don't use them in an enclosed space!
Light and very portable cooker. Keep away from the black Gelert ones they're just cak.
You don't get them in 24 rat packs anymore, they come seperate which is a shame.
I've got one in the car, my responce bag and a couple spare for short hikes.

Fantastic bits of kit and nothing like firing one up after being bugged out at 3am and smelling that first brew.

MancsMan

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2008
Manchester
I’d never seen it as a cooker with the hexi-blocks more heat and eat/brew kit, then I discovered the wonders of the red bull stove (same as the Pepsi, only smaller).

Dec 16, 2007
I have one that is a back up in my bergan if I use all the meths for my SA trangia. also have Trangia burner and tatonka stove in belt kit as lighter than the hexi stove. But in the long run you cant go wrong with a hexi as it is " Squaddie proof " but once it is burning you cant put it out unless you stamp it into the mud. They do leave a sticky black mess on your mug or tins that you need a green scratchy to get off.

I am 50/50 over them even after years of using in the firm if something better or cleaner around I will use that if not then the hexi will do.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I love my hobo stove as there is something comforting about the sight and smell of pinecones and twigs under your billy. On the other hand they do make a fair amount of smoke.

The last time I took my son and his friend to the local woods we used the hexy stove as I don't have permission for fires (and you can argue amongst yourselves whether a stove counts as a 'fire'). Hexy is much more discrete and was plenty hot enough for beans and bacon grills all round.

Cheers,
Steve

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I love my hobo stove as there is something comforting about the sight and smell of pinecones and twigs under your billy. On the other hand they do make a fair amount of smoke.

The last time I took my son and his friend to the local woods we used the hexy stove as I don't have permission for fires (and you can argue amongst yourselves whether a stove counts as a 'fire'). Hexy is much more discrete and was plenty hot enough for beans and bacon grills all round.

Cheers,
Steve

mmmmmmm Bacon Grill:D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm not a fan of them personally.
When I was in the mob we didn't use them on exercise unless forced. we used peak 1 multifuel stoves (that we could run on waste jet fuel) whenever we could as it got the brews going faster and you could get 4 rations in the tin/case/pot at the same time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE