British Forces Hexamine Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I don't think I would use it unless I was in a completly "stuck" situation but even then I seem to magic something up, still it's very nice to have peace-of-mind. Has anybody used it with Ethanol then?

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I use them quite alot, for several reasons:

1) If you arrive at a campsite shattered, you can start a fire really easily with hexy as it burns for a decent time, allowing you to get wood etc
2) I use it for a brew, takes about 7-8 minutes to boil a mug of water, a bit less if it has a wind shield,

BUT

IMHO
If you are thinking you are going to be able to use it as a stove to cook anything other than bag rations, think again, the Hexy just isn't hot enough for actual cooking, especially if there is a wind blowing, and considering the alternatives like a nato gel cooker or a coke can stove, it just aint worth it.

Overall it's o.k though, I always carry one for backup, so I can make a quick brew without a fire and so I can use the fuel to start a fire if I'm having a lazy day :)

hope that helps!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I use them quite alot, for several reasons:

1) If you arrive at a campsite shattered, you can start a fire really easily with hexy as it burns for a decent time, allowing you to get wood etc
2) I use it for a brew, takes about 7-8 minutes to boil a mug of water, a bit less if it has a wind shield,

BUT

IMHO
If you are thinking you are going to be able to use it as a stove to cook anything other than bag rations, think again, the Hexy just isn't hot enough for actual cooking, especially if there is a wind blowing, and considering the alternatives like a nato gel cooker or a coke can stove, it just aint worth it.

Overall it's o.k though, I always carry one for backup, so I can make a quick brew without a fire and so I can use the fuel to start a fire if I'm having a lazy day :)

hope that helps!

Totally agree, great as a back up and also warming fliuds ;)

mysetupcrusaderandlid.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use them all the time. They work great. They are light, cheap, foolproof and ideal for a wayside brew. Coupe with a windshield and...unless you want to play "stove snob", I challenge you to find a more robust, cheaper stove for a basic day walk cooker

Red

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup i second that,
great little cooker seen me through alot of bad weather and always reliable.

another positive the fuel can't leak! but a handy "from my army days tip":

You don't have to use whole tablets!!
break them in half and add them as you need them like a wood stove.

also the waxed boxes are great for initial firelighting (as well as being water and NBC proof).

you can use the Hexamine stove upside down, using the "legs" to stand a metal mug on.

There is a "cup holder" now issued for crusader cup use.

though many last for years they are actually issued with rations, and are only designed for a few uses.

make sure the "open" sides of the cooker are facing right angles to the wind.

if left for years sometimes hexamine can "go off" it gets very dusty and crystal like it will still burn but will make a dusty mess.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I picked up a simmilar little cooker from a local army surplus shop.
it's a decent bit of kit for making a brew on the move, and I have yet to find a stove that takes up as little space, when you include fuel (coke can burners and simmilar are a good idea, but then you need to carry a bottle of fuel as well.)

when I've used up all my hexamine blocks I might look into putting together something that uses the ethanol gel sachets, they look like they might work quite well, and make something even smaller than the hexi burner. but their not as cheap, or as avialable.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
one lives in my car boot along with a knock off crusader copy. Small, easy to use and makes a great stand for pots etc etc when using with a real fire. I wish they lasted longer as i only get about 4-5 shots out of them.

I find the hexi much better than the greenheat rubbish

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think they're great. Iv'e used on ex alot! and now use a smaller sturdy version I snaffelled from a aircrew crash bag, quick simple and light, two/three packs of fuel for a week of walking. with pasta and rice based meals even had bacon in a Fpan over mine. i don't think you can buy any thing that comes close for the money or the versatility. I've had mine for about four years and it dosn't look like i'll need to replace itany time soon.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Great piece of kit is the Hexi stove and has been in use for more than my 46 years, they have been used to heat ration pack food for that amount of time as well, we use one most weekends whilst out in the woods for brewing a cuppa, never had a problem with reaching a satisfactory temperature, the Green snot on the other hand is near useless. I always have Hexi fuel left over after doing a full crusader cup, and that is just one block of fuel, I usually break it into four or more pieces to get a good amount of flame, maximising surface area of the block gets a lot more heat and as Red says above, use a wind shield and also a lid to gain the best efficacy. I used to use one as a teenager for cooking dehydrated ration pack curry, lovely jubbly :D

It is toxic if you breathe in the fumes, so not a good idea to use it in a confined space, but like green snot fuel it burns away to nothing, so am left wondering why there is a concern as to its toxicity to the environment?

Most fuels will have a "toxic to the environment" background, somewhere.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As long as you shield it from the wind, they work as well as any. Small, light, cheap, reliable.

You can cook well enough on them. I have boiled pasta etc. You just need to keep the heat there so need a few spare hexi blocks.

I use the Gelert fuel, 24 tablets for a couple of quid. It takes 2 or 3 to boil water in about 6 or 7 minutes.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
As mentiond there is a cup holder shaped for a crusader cup
I have cut mine to a square hole and fitted some wire mesh with square holes in it [could use top of a throw away barbi]
The flames now raise up around the cup and not just heat the bottom of the cup also smaller mugs will rest on it
I have not done a test on it as forgot to test before cutting it but works ok with the wire mesh
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE