British Army Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm pretty sure andybysea had one up at Loch Chon last autumn, it made short work of splitting fuel and heavier tasks from what I can remember but not the prettiest of things.

The knife that is not Andy

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
I've had one for 20+ years. They are a great never die heavy brut of a knife. Great at hacking, smacking and all the less gentile work you might do. You can't lose it as it's so heavy that when you don't have it on your side you lean the other way.

It always goes out with me but you totally need a small bushy knife as well unless you just like hitting things.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have one and love it , Some hate them .
If you get one spend some time working on the handles as thay are oversize for arctic use and will cut your hands to bits if your dont reduce them .
Beware of copys .
2006_0116wolf0025.jpg

Twodogs

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i used one on a survival course when i was younger, there a strictly chop chop knife you could carve better with an axe than one of these, not my cup of tea but hey, like most tools they have their place.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
Oh yes,
As a matter of fact I have just finished adding red liners and some ash scales to mine. A bit of over-kill as far as the re-handling was concerned but it had to be done after one of the scales was smashed off..... This was partially because I had not sanded down the original ones and perhaps because 4 blokes in the woods decided to use it to play "darts" with at 11 at night. (myself included) ahem... Well you wouldnt use anything precious would you.? The thing I love about this knife is that its like the tonka toy of the knife world, it doesnt look pretty, it wont make your mates jealous but it will go on and on doing its thing.!! Its practically indestructable and it has a rugged quality to it, its not over engineered and in my opinion your getting exactly what you pay for - I cant help but like it :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I also have one, part way through a pretty substantial modification that is a year in progress so far! I do a bit and then forget it for a few months! It'll do the job and keep on going for ever more. A freinf of my brother also modifies them by grinding the first three inches or so down into a straight clip point, moving the point of the blade down somewhat. they look pretty mean that way!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Shewie wrote,
''not the prettiest of things.

The knife that is not Andy''

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ahh The "Treebeater" Needs a lot of work on both the blade and the handle to make it anything like useful, but if you got the time....why not have a go

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I got one from this very site and I love it. I sanded the handle so it's comfortable in my hand. It sharpens pretty well and it will do all the things you wouldn't want to wreck your best knife doing! I don't know if I'd have paid full price for a new one, but I'm sure you can get one 2nd hand from somewhere.

Magentus

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got one, used it for years, takes a wicked edge.
It's heavy, but I've carved spoons and trap triggers with mine with no problems.
It's also cut down trees, dug holes, hammered in tent pegs and nails, basicly abused through 15 years of military service, and still as good as it's ever been.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Right, that's it....... I want one of these. I like the idea of a simple, non prissy, heavy knife that will go on and on and on and on.

Can anyone please recommend a place to get an original one?
Cheers

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
Sorry Kimbo,
I cant remember where I ordered mine form, I think it was a sheffield knife makers. If you do a search on "British army survival knife" you should come up with a few good sites. Just make sure its a genuine issue and not a copy, and I have just noticed the price of the thing on one site, they are not as cheap as I remember, mind you I bought mine about 7 years ago.!!!

Cheers, Shankly

hi Kimbo

I showed Daisy mine :D unissued but fire damaged and dropped on the tip by kackhanded blanket stacker Wood handle 82 stamp i nhte horible tat leather sheath

ive seen originals thou with the plastic black handle for £50 :eek:

the Webtex copys are about £30-40 i fink

im not a fan to short to heavy and to thick
mine will become a proiject one day

you could make one from scratch out of a bit of leaf spring

ATB

Duncan

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
hi Kimbo

I showed Daisy mine :D unissued but fire damaged and dropped on the tip by kackhanded blanket stacker Wood handle 82 stamp i nhte horible tat leather sheath

ive seen originals thou with the plastic black handle for £50 :eek:

the Webtex copys are about £30-40 i fink

im not a fan to short to heavy and to thick
mine will become a proiject one day

you could make one from scratch out of a bit of leaf spring

ATB

Duncan

So you showed my wife yours did ya???? hahahahaha. I knew you two were friends Dunc but I think that's taken it too far!:lmao:

I don't think I'll be using it as my main knife and maybe not even a huge deal while out and about, but I do like the sound of it......and maybe it will become a bit of a project too. Maybe rescale it and regrind it using my jig!

ATB

Kim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE