Bored

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Just got back from hospital. I've dislocated my left knee for the third time in 4 years. Have to wait till monday to find out if i've got lasting ligament damage, which might mean I can't join the army :( but most of all i'm going to be so bored! Not allowed to do sport and all I have to do is revise....any suggestions on a bushy project to start to keep me occupied?
Cheers
Will

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Hard luck, sir. Did my knee in about 2 years ago and had to wait 8 months for an operation then recovery took another 4 months. Like you, I was bored not being able to get out so I bought some old saddler's tools off eBay and got into leatherwork. Every cloud... as they say.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Hard luck, sir. Did my knee in about 2 years ago and had to wait 8 months for an operation then recovery took another 4 months. Like you, I was bored not being able to get out so I bought some old saddler's tools off eBay and got into leatherwork. Every cloud... as they say.

thats exactly what i have been doing for the past 5 months after breaking my leg, had the boot thing off last thurs and some of the metal work comes out in june.

i learnt leatherwork, also learnt how to use a sewing machine and made a load of bits from modding bags to making a quilt thing for my hammock.

all i could do was stuff that involved sitting at a table and no walking lol

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
There must be loads of things you wanted to get around too but never have time, because you wanted to be out and about. Make a list and work down it. Leather work and knots would be mine. Or making more arrows or archery gear would be what I would do.....I hope you heal real fast.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
Sounds like a girly thing but i got into american indian beading for a spell. Use it now and again for decorating leather pouches and making wee gifts. If your eyes arent to good then i would gi it a miss tho!

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hope the knee is on the mend.

Why not make a longbow, then sell it to me at a knockdown price :)

Get well soon fella.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Speedy recovery and good luck!

Lot's of good advise here.

When I had my prolapsed disc this february, I sorted, cleaned and re-organised my gear. Then I made lists and plans. Leatherwork and smithing, some small and big projects.

Oh and a few good books and the occasional Ray Mears or Bear Grylls or Les Stroud episode on youtube... it's all out there!

ATB

Mike

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Sorry to hear about your knee - Ouch!!

Try not to get disheartened, (easy for me to say) remember the Army isn't for everyone, and a lot get injured in basic as it is, so this may well be a blessing in disguise.

I was in a similiar situation to Mr. Ed, last year. Having limited mobility I read and read, this forum was a great help too.

I also learned how difficult it is to be patient (no pun intended) with an injury while it sorts itself out/heals.

Sounds like a girly thing but i got into american indian beading for a spell. Use it now and again for decorating leather pouches and making wee gifts. If your eyes arent to good then i would gi it a miss tho!

Indian what? Sheesh! How badly were you injured ***!? :D

Sorry to hear.
You could try doing the family tree :) that will pass a lot of time.

Aye, it took me five years, not everything is online (RC Church won't give Gov't details etc) and involved a lot of visiting Parishes in person = walking!!!

Wilderbeest, what about building a Go-Kart/Racing Wheelchair? :D

Dame Tanni Grey Thomson may have a website...

All the best mate,

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE