Fun & Games

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Being totally and utterly bored and with seriously limited mobility whilst i await multiple surgeries (insert violin here ;) ), i'm always looking at ways to keep myself amused/occupied/busy, be that reading, writing or doing what bushie things i can, with this in mind, i've been spending a fair amount of time whittling of late, as its something i can do inside, its keeps some of the skills going, it's good exercise for my hands and of course as we all know, when you are whittling/carving you enter your own little world, so it's good for the mind and soul too.

So having bought myself two packs of basswood (Lime)from Amazon so i could whittle away to my heart's content, it occured to me to make something that could be used, rather then just whittling "trinkets", so 24 "little fellas" later i have a whittled Draughts game, much more interesting than the standard counters too.

I carved these at roughly two per day, some days i did none at all as my hands were just too painful, so it's kept me occupied for well over two weeks, all carved with the small blade on a Swiss Army Hiker on which i modified the blade so its better suited to a wee bit of whittling, i also used a Flexcut Carving Jack on some of them, but much preferred the SAK.

I haven't carved any Kings as yet as my hands won't stand for it at present, so for the time being, Kings will be identified by having a small loop of hand spun cordage placed over their hats.

Next job is too make a a nice board for then to sit on, but that will have to wait until im able to get back out in my workshop after surgery.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oRACfq]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oREA3o]

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's a great bit of carving Mark, much more fun than just round discs.

Maybe a matching chess set next?
Cheers Steve, Chess Set already in planning lol, going to give my hands a break for a few days though, well that's the current plan ;-)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Superb! I know the opposing sides are carved in different styles, but do you have any plans to dye half of them?
cheers ears, nope no plans to colour them, just going to let time and tide add a patina, never know might end up as a family heirloom. ;)

Reactions: Muddypaws

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE