Returning Member

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Mornin' all,

Not been on here for ages for a number of reasons, but kinda missed the old place, thought as id not been around for some time id better post something back up in this section.

As some of you are aware i've been battling with my health for a few years which seriously curtailed my outdoor activities, in fact it knocked them on the head and still does, as im now medically housebound, but it all came to a head last year when my mum was diagnosed with cancer, unfortunately she passed away late last year and three days after she passed i was admitted to hospital, where i stayed for seven weeks and underwent all manner of prodding and poking and where i also had to learn how to walk again, as you might imagine the past few months have been very difficult, emotionally, mentally and physically.

I was eventually diagnosed with Chronic Inflammatory Arthropy, which is basically chronic Rheumatoid Arthritis, i'm currently waiting for bilateral knee replacement surgery, although god only knows when this will be, as i'm walking (on crutches) bone on bone in both knees as all of the cartilage in my knees has done a bunk and boy, do they make some wonderful crunching, grinding and grating noises when i move, my hips and shoulders will also need replacing in the next year or so, i have a deformed left hand and my right one is not far behind, but thankfully although not the shape they used to be, i can still use them and I keep them going by whittling the odd stick now and again, got to keep those skills going, but yup i'm a bit of a mess, but as i've often said, although i have arthritis, arthritis doesn't have me, and you should see the pills and potions i have to take, up to 28 pills a day on bad days, 16 of which are painkillers.

The aim of getting myself fixed, although i will never be free of the disease, has been my driving factor, i can't currently get back into nature, but thankfully living where i do, i can hear the sheep in the turnip field at the end of the road, and looking out of the window i see Buzzards, Sparrowhawks, lots of small birds and see the fox run up the side of the house now and again, my family have bought in Dafs from the garden so i can enjoy them and they also keep me supplied with fresh hazel rods, also from the garden that i turn into piles of shavings and wooden flowers, the flowers then being planted on the grass verge in front of the house where people are free to take them, and they do, i read Nick Goldsmiths book, "Rewild Your Mind" and that really hit home, so i've taken some of his ideas, like putting up pictures around the house of your favourite places or outdoor activities, and implemented them to help my mental health as well as them being a reminder of what i'm aiming to return to.

Anyway, thought id put a short note up, look forward to being part of it again.

atb

Mark

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hi, welcome back and sorry to hear that you've had such a rotten time of it of late. Being able to see nature from indoors does make such a difference and hopefully it will soon be warm enough that you can sit outside and feel more part of it. If you have a small patio or bit of lawn, there are plenty of bushcrafty things that can be done just outside the house with not much walking needed.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Welcome back.

Wow, that's a hell of a journey and a lot to contend with.
I'm glad you're keeping nature in mind and sight. It's great for healing.
It sounds like you're doing all the right things and as much as you can, for now.

Reactions: Kepis

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Crikey, now that does sound like quite a ride!
You don't need to be told, but 'bushcraft' is about far more than sitting in the woods carving a spoon. It's as much a mentality as it is anything else.
And that's plenty all on its own.
Even if just sitting there, reading, and typing away on the pooter offers a brief respite from all life's slings and arrows, well...that's enough, eh?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers all, it's been quite a journey so far with no real end in sight, but i shall get there, days like today when the sun is shining and the birds are singing over the bleating of the sheep makes for a better day, the cold and damp have done me no favours though, always used to love the cold, but man alive does it play billy O with my joints now, still when i get my new ones there will be no stopping me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:grouphug:
It's lovely to see you posting again :)

I am sorry to hear about your Mum. My condolences and best wishes that the memories you have are really good and outweigh the ones of illness.

Sorry you've been hit with RA, Mark, and especially such a brutal case; it is a hellish disease, and I think the worst is that we no longer (can) trust our own bodies.

You learn to live with it. You learn to live with pain in a way that it's not the overwhelming thing of the day, every day.

You learn to enjoy the seasons as they come, and you make the most of them.
It keeps life fresh, it keeps you looking forward. That and family and friendships, and the pleasure of seeing the world outside four square walls, keeps it all worth living.
We're no' done yet :)

The only advice I'd give on the joints, is to keep them mobile, even the damaged ones, keep them moving. Doesn't need to be hard effort, don't damage them more, just make sure that every joint moves, that the muscles and tendons take the strain kind of thing.

I hope it goes into remission, that you get peace from it, that it all calms down and you really do get a quality of life back again.

M

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Your health problems sound awful and put my own age related limitations into perspective. Hope you get some improvement soon.

I find the trip reports and nature photographs submitted by younger and still active members a great comfort as they evoke happy memories of my own past adventures. I hope they do the same for you.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Blimey Mark that's a hell of a time you've had of it. Were we still in Hampshire I'd call round with beer! If you ever need stick's to whittle, let me know & I'll cut blanks and post them - I get all sorts of pretty wood through my hands Here if you want to chat mate.

Red

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Great to see you back Mark and I'm truly sorry to hear of your battles. I hope you make a good recovery, or, as Mary says, manage to find a living compromise. I have missed seeing some of your carving work (and sadly, many of your spoon carving photo links have gone :()

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey Mark, Sorry to hear about all the grief you've been going through.
It's great to see you about the place again mate, thanks for coming back, I'm looking forward to seeing more of you and hopefully some pics of your projects...

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Welcome back mate, you have had a rough time of it haven’t you, but haven’t rolled over and quit. You’ll get there I’am sure. You have a good spirit about you and that’ll see you right I am sure. Keep posting :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Welcome back mate, you have had a rough time of it haven’t you, but haven’t rolled over and quit. You’ll get there I’am sure. You have a good spirit about you and that’ll see you right I am sure. Keep posting :)
Cheers mate, aye i've been through and continue to go through the mill, my diagnosis was recently updated to severe Rheumatoid with secondary Osteoarthritis, but hey ho, i keep on smilin' and whittlin', thankfully i have more good, well better days than bad days, but when i have a bad one, i have a bad one.

I'm still waiting for my op's though and as i discovered recently when seeing the Consultant, my hips are way worse than my knees, my knees are shot but my hips, i have hip protrusio, basically the socket that the top of my femur should sit in is no longer there and the femur has worn away the bone on my pelvis and the ball on my femur now pokes through a hole in my pelvis, i have this on both sides of my pelvis and yep, it smarts a bit.

Still as above, i keep on smiling, even the staff at the hospital can't believe how cheerful i am, my answer is always yes it hurts, but it is what it is and it will eventually get fixed, i take each day at a time knowing that each day that passes is a day closer to surgery, i can't change what has happened, so no point driving oneself into the ground, easier said than done some days, but as long as i have more better than bad days, i reckon i'm on a winner.

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Mornin' all,

Not been on here for ages for a number of reasons, but kinda missed the old place, thought as id not been around for some time id better post something back up in this section.

As some of you are aware i've been battling with my health for a few years which seriously curtailed my outdoor activities, in fact it knocked them on the head and still does, as im now medically housebound, but it all came to a head last year when my mum was diagnosed with cancer, unfortunately she passed away late last year and three days after she passed i was admitted to hospital, where i stayed for seven weeks and underwent all manner of prodding and poking and where i also had to learn how to walk again, as you might imagine the past few months have been very difficult, emotionally, mentally and physically.

I was eventually diagnosed with Chronic Inflammatory Arthropy, which is basically chronic Rheumatoid Arthritis, i'm currently waiting for bilateral knee replacement surgery, although god only knows when this will be, as i'm walking (on crutches) bone on bone in both knees as all of the cartilage in my knees has done a bunk and boy, do they make some wonderful crunching, grinding and grating noises when i move, my hips and shoulders will also need replacing in the next year or so, i have a deformed left hand and my right one is not far behind, but thankfully although not the shape they used to be, i can still use them and I keep them going by whittling the odd stick now and again, got to keep those skills going, but yup i'm a bit of a mess, but as i've often said, although i have arthritis, arthritis doesn't have me, and you should see the pills and potions i have to take, up to 28 pills a day on bad days, 16 of which are painkillers.

The aim of getting myself fixed, although i will never be free of the disease, has been my driving factor, i can't currently get back into nature, but thankfully living where i do, i can hear the sheep in the turnip field at the end of the road, and looking out of the window i see Buzzards, Sparrowhawks, lots of small birds and see the fox run up the side of the house now and again, my family have bought in Dafs from the garden so i can enjoy them and they also keep me supplied with fresh hazel rods, also from the garden that i turn into piles of shavings and wooden flowers, the flowers then being planted on the grass verge in front of the house where people are free to take them, and they do, i read Nick Goldsmiths book, "Rewild Your Mind" and that really hit home, so i've taken some of his ideas, like putting up pictures around the house of your favourite places or outdoor activities, and implemented them to help my mental health as well as them being a reminder of what i'm aiming to return to.

Anyway, thought id put a short note up, look forward to being part of it again.

atb

Mark, thank you and welcome back. x

deovolens

Sep 12, 2018
Belgium
I am back would Clint Eastwood say.My grand father fought 5 years at the western front. Of course real man don't wear helmets etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE