boots........?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Who uses what.....?

I bought a pair of Gelert walking boots (cut price) 5 years ago while in Snowdonia, they've lasted untill now and I've used them almost dayly and if I'm honest would probably still be good if I'd taken more care of them, silly me!

I'm now falling back on a pair of new airware I still have in stock from my working days, ( I was hoping the wife would have broken them in for me by now...LOL ) which have steel toe caps.....bit of safety for a novice axeman!

I am however on the lookout for my next pair....I have been perusing the surplus stores but has anyone any recomendations?

Smoggy....

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Meindle's for me.

I have two pairs -
Desert boot for summer, although TBH I wear these most of the time when not in work.
Burma - all leather for wet / snowy times (or Middlemud Meets!)

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a couple of pairs of Lowas which are the comfiest boots I've ever owned.

Next on the list are some full length Altbergs though

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Brasher boots, I've had them for about maybe 5 years now and they're finally getting a bit past it. I'll be buying another pair.

Salomon Exit goretex shoes: Got these tuesday and they are possibly the most comfortable everything shoe/trainers i've had.

TNF Hedgehogs, lasted less than a year and were only worn for dog walking because they were so uncomfortable.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I have a pair of Brashers wich i have had for 10 yrs lol they have lasted and are still going, although i have made sure i have taken care of them with leather food and kept re-waterproofing them.

During that time i have had a few pairs of fabric boots that just have not worked...

I also have a pair of Karrimor KSB Skye x-LITE which i have not worn yet.... oops

I then have a pair of Helly Hansen Mountain boots and summer walking boots

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
You cant beat a good pair of running shoes for walking in. Much lighter & comfier than boots imho.

Good ones to look for are trail shoes made by Salamon, Muzuno etc.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
German Paratrooper boots, 2000 edition, Mk4 soles.
I specifically search for, and buy, these (getting fairly rare now) - like walking on freshly laundered kittens.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
JohnL, unfortunately running shoes are not up to my requirements, as comfortable as they are.....I need something that can handle the wet, the deep mud and the rock and debris....so need a stong boot....

But those Paratrooper boots could be the type of thing I'm looking for.....I had seen some Norwegian (I think) army surplus that I fancied, but can't recall where!!!!!

As I stated I have a pair of Airware for the time being but best to start looking now.....as I recon they won't cut it for long!

Smoggy.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Miendl Vakuum GTX. Good boots that will go anywhere. I also have a pair of £30 hi tec boots that i have had a couple of years and still going strong.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've just bought a new pair of boots at the Putdoors Show today. This brings to an end a 5 year hate hate relationship with a pair of Meindls that wrecked my feet consistently. Why didn't I just stop wearing them - because I believed in the old chestnut of "breaking them in", unfortunately, they nearly broke me; and I paid £90 for them! The goretex membrane failed as well so they were the worst of both worlds wet AND hot.

I bought some of these new Carn boots which were well comfy this afternoon - surey they can't be worse than the last ones... My feet need a break.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I wear a pair of surplus army boots I bought about three or four years ago for a tenner. Wear them pretty much all the time, and they're still going strong, plenty of tread, comfortable and waterproof!

Pete

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Got mine from here - http://www.transworldsurplus.co.uk/boots.asp (down as GERMAN ARMY (Bundeswehr) BOOT) - no affiliation etc

Super Grade + P&P came to £45. Couldn't justify buying the 'New' ones, but I couldn't be happier with mine once they've been worn in.

also on that same page...DESERT PATROL BOOTS. ID:377

Which is I think what I had seen elsewhere....Cheers for the link.

Smoggy

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
I use these, Lowa Hunter GTX Exteme
2108860492_l.jpg

(But not during summer...)

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
I've just picked up a pair of Altberg High Moor boots which I've only worn locally and they are looking very promising.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE