boar spear?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
after over nine years of a nomadic lifestyle (any MANY challenges the last 4month...) i'm now facing the challenge of settling down... . currently i'm renovating a little shed as my cozy little cabin (which is where i cut my finger with a circular saw...)- straight behind my back window is a forested mountain slope. twice in one week i had wild pigs rooting around @nite just a few metres away from my door... .as i'm planning to have a little garden bed (and my neighbor george the goat usually has some food laying around as well) soon as well i guess they will come around more often... .as i'm entirely alone in the evenings (+no phone) i intend to upgrade my defenses a bit (NOT planning to go after them!)... .

the solution which comes to my mind would be a boar spear... . i do not have a forge, so just plan to cut a blade from a leaf spring and lash it into a shaft (unless i can find more details about japanese boar spears, but there's a language barrier...). has anyone made a boar spear and what would be the best dimensions (my google search did not bring much apart from the ""cold steel"" version...)for both the spearhead and shaft?!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Make sure that you understand how a boar spear works. You DON'T use it solo and poke a boar with it. You crouch waiting for driven boar to rush you then you set the butt end on the floor and let the boar impale itself. Then you drop the spear and climb a tree. A boar spear has a cross member. This is because without a cross member, the boar will push the shaft through its own body to get to you. At this point it will attempt to disembowel you with 4" tusks.

If you need to take boar or defend yourself from boar a double rifle in a large calibre, a lever action in 45/70 or bigger or a semi shotgun firing slug would be my choices. A pointy stick would not.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If I were in your shoes it would be all the excuse I needed to buy a walking stick axe :cool:
even though that would be bringing a knife to a gun fight if you actually have to go toe to toe (trotter) with a boar

Actually attacking a boar with anything less than a shotgun is a recipe for getting seven shades of whatsit removed from your person

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm afraid in all seriousness a shotgun would be the way to go. You can play with pointy sticks but I reckon that would do little more than give you the idea of protection than ACTUAL protection.

A 12g and slugs would be my choice.

Having said that I know it may not be an easy option depending where in the world you are.

If you have ways to cut the steel then I assume you have a drill etc??

Andy

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Unless you corner them, nearly all wild animals will run away when frightened. Get a frying pan and beat it with a stick. On no account chase the boars. Always leave them an obvious exit route.

Forget fantasies about defending yourself with a boar spear.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
[video=youtube;GAoADOgG8tI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoADOgG8tI[/video]

Good luck with that spear dude.... i've seen a boar send a half compagnie of legionnaires running.... took around 12 rounds of 5.56 to drop it.

They are heavy, fast, relentless and build some serious momentum when they get going... one flick of that head and you're gonna need surgery at least.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, Orcs...

A boar is smart, if he sees a boar spear, he will know you are an enemy and make a pre emptive strike.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
mark, awsome vid that mate

laughed my bottom off at those bow hunters....bows certainly are capable of taking boar, but the archer needs to be up a tree or sommat *** :lmao:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Get a dog or just make some noise when thy come by. You're only goin to hurt yourself with a spear.

If you ever get to shooting them for meat, you'll want some sort of repeater that's at least a 30 cal. I've taken some around the 300 pound mark with a 30-30.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
You Wanna get yourself a little pooch for them Hogs.
bearhuntingdog_zps4ac733e1.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As stated, a good dog (or two) will keep them off your garden. Spearing one? Not so much. The others will just take it's place the next night unless you plan on exterminating the entire population with a spear. Likewise banging pans together isn't going to help much unless you plan to stand guard over your guard 24/7. It'll deter them while you're their, but not once you leave it unattended.

To be perfectly honest, not even a gun is going to help unless you do one of two things:
1) Stand guard over the garden 24/7 or
2) Deliberately and methodically exterminate ALL of them (not an easy task)

So you're back to the idea of getting dogs that are capable of standing guard in your stead.

It would help to know where you are? The boar here aren't especially dangerous as they try to avoid people as has been pointed out; so if self defense is your real priority, just relax a bit. On the other hand, they're extremely destructive to agriculture and environment so if protecting your garden is your priority, you're back to the dogs.

On a positive side, they (the hogs) eliminate all snakes from your property.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wild boar were considered the most hazardous animals in Northern Europe mainly because hunting them with a spear was incredibly dangerous....

Bear in mind that when I said they aren't particularly dangerous, I meant when they're left alone. And I was specifically referring to wild boar here. That's why I also asked where the OP is. His location will definitely make a difference.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are nice dogs - not as big as they look - about 100 lbs under all that fur.

Half an English mastiff size if you like :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE