boar spear?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I'm sure if treated properly that dog would be your best friend.

EDIT...Just read they have a reputation for not listening to commands sometimes...Commands like.."Stop eating me". So maybe not ideal as family pets.

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
You Wanna get yourself a little pooch for them Hogs.
bearhuntingdog_zps4ac733e1.jpg

What kinda Dogs that.looks like a bear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unistat76

Dec 1, 2014
United States
Boar hunting with spears is very hazardous and not to be done alone. When cornered (as said above) they will attack with a vicious determination that will not be believed. The reason bore spears have a crossbar is so the boar will not charge up the shaft and gore you before it dies. Typically, several people will be on hand with spears to assist. Truly, in modern times the boar spear and knife ("pig-sticker") are used to finish the boar after it is shot.

Boar hunting for me involvev my semi-auto .308 (7.62 NATO) and a 20 round magazine and a .357 mag with hard cast slugs for back up. I guess a 12 ga. with slugs would be acceptable if that was what I could get.

Barring a firearm, I would do my best to not mess with a boar at all.

Please do not underestimate these animals.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hog hunting with dogs and knives (no guns; no spear)

About 3 minutes into the video the dogs hold down the hog while the hunters stab it. http://youtu.be/CKdqsS4jimc Catahoula Curs at work. Good view of the tusks at about 4:30 minutes in (CAUTION!! Foul Language at this point!) and the knife at about 5:30 (survival knife)

thanks for all the replies!

sorry if i was not entirely clear... . i left my passport country over nine years ago with the intention NEVER to return and live a semi-nomadic lifestyle since then; spending most time in places like OZ (=my spirit home) +NZ, korea and now for 12month japan(no idea what next...). as much as i'd love to: this rules out having a dog (+i still miss my adopted daughter MIDGET (jindo-dog)...) for company (as i have only a goat and a grasshopper to talk to in the evening). means also getting a licence and having a fire arm is out of option... . from my military days i remember a story where a charging sow took 30rounds 5.56x45(FMJ) before passing out... in my camera pouch i carry a 5 1/2 " tusk of a ""captain cooker"" (gift ), i:ve seen pics of tusk injuries and know of body armor for pig hunting dogs in OZ... . +i have been once charged by a sow on THE kangaroo island- luckily she changed her mind...

so i:ll most definetely NOT ""play obelix"" and try to catch diner- my concern is mainly walking into one @nite outside my ""cave"" and unintentionally cornering one... i was just trying to figure out if a boar spear would be a option for self-defence as i:m entirely on my own in evenings...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think a non threatening approach would be better.... the spear will likely get you hurt more than by not having one. You are less of a threat without a weapon, and any boar will likely just want to see you off if they have young... They aint like a grizzly who will make sure you are dead.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Males can weigh up to 200lbs, eat a Mastiff for breakfast.

:lol: Male Mastiffs can weigh well over 200lb, 160b is common, my aunt used to breed them and I just can't see the getting eaten breakfast scenario, maybe I just lack the imagination :D I've got a 110lb maremma, tough dog but not like a big Mastiff. The Ovcharka's a good looking dog though...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed my buddies weighed in about 220lb - it was a lovely well trained dog, but if it pulled on the lead it could have me off my feet - and I'm not a small guy.

Wouldn't want to get involved in that dog fight whichever one won it !

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
thanks for all the replies!

sorry if i was not entirely clear... . i left my passport country over nine years ago with the intention NEVER to return and live a semi-nomadic lifestyle since then....

...... as much as i'd love to: this rules out having a dog......

........means also getting a licence and having a fire arm is out of option......

Yeah those conditions would rule out a dog or a firearm but I thought your OP said you were settling down now?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
:lol: Male Mastiffs can weigh well over 200lb, 160b is common, my aunt used to breed them and I just can't see the getting eaten breakfast scenario, maybe I just lack the imagination :D I've got a 110lb maremma, tough dog but not like a big Mastiff. The Ovcharka's a good looking dog though...

HA, totally off topic but my wee terrier/ collie cross is best mates with a local Maremma, I'm almost always in tears of laughter when they play together. lol.

Andy

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i have no experience of deterring boar so just a suggestion (possibly a useless one, experienced folk may correct me), would an electric fence work ?, apparently some people use an electric fence to deter bears so it may work on boar?

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Often hear and see them when out walking here, Tuscany, lots of noise and they are off, our French Bulldog loves to track them...

Last edited:
Yeah those conditions would rule out a dog or a firearm but I thought your OP said you were settling down now?

question is for how long (my current visa is for one year).... . + i:m not sure if i:d have enough time for a dog and i still miss my beloved MIDGET.... getting a fire arms licence is a complicated (and long?!) process in japan when you:re a gai-jin so i can rule that out... (and i daresay it would scare my co-workers and the customers when i walk around with a gun :yikes: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE