boar spear?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i have no experience of deterring boar so just a suggestion (possibly a useless one, experienced folk may correct me), would an electric fence work ?, apparently some people use an electric fence to deter bears so it may work on boar?
not sure but during day i:m not alone (only evening/night time) and considering how many times i got zapped on the darn things myself... imagine going outside @nite to take a leak and hitting the fence...

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I don't know what the regs are for fireworks in japan but rigging tripwires to various loud screaming and banging pyrotechnics could have the pigs running.
I've sometimes rigged surplus early warning tripwire thingies from the swedish army with PAK-type blanks, to go off if something stumbles into my camp. Never actually had it tripped but it gives a sense of security.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Try a Scarecrow. Just move it around every few days as Pigs are smart and will get used to it. If you wake in the morning and the scarecrow is in pieces build a high fence but dig it into the ground as pigs like to dig and will get under the fence.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
A pig trap, nice big hole or cage, bacon for a while, and like others have said pigs should learn not to come near your property! Shiny bits of metal. There must be a few ways to scare em. Foul smells or tastes?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A pig trap, nice big hole or cage, bacon for a while, and like others have said pigs should learn not to come near your property....

I like the idea of a trap. But they "should learn not to come near your property?" Actually what they'll learn is how to avoid the traps. Think how difficult it is to keep squirrels out of your bird feeders; hogs are multiples more intelligent than squirrels.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I was wondering that myself. Would there be any natural Predator smells ( urine ) that would scare them off? Not sure how one orders up a Gallon of Wolfs Pee but the Internet is a wonderful thing.
Doubt it. Boar are by nature feart of hee haw. they dont have a natural predator in most countries they thrive in other than Man. A wolf probably would stay clear of a Boar unless the Boar is injured. Just put a better fence up.

Try a Scarecrow. Just move it around every few days as Pigs are smart and will get used to it. If you wake in the morning and the scarecrow is in pieces build a high fence but dig it into the ground as pigs like to dig and will get under the fence.

i thought i look scary enough...

i would have to fence the whole property which means building @least 300m of fence- none there and it:s not my property anyway.... (well- christmas is coming up... so a fence would come in handy too for that red-coated guy:evilangel:...) tripwires with pyrotechnics might work but would wake me up every time as well....

i:m NOT planning to catch them- just protect myself in case i stumble into them @night between the buildings and their escape route is blocked...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Doubt it. Boar are by nature feart of hee haw. they dont have a natural predator in most countries they thrive in other than Man.....

I can think of many countries on two continents where they thrive that have an abundance of natural predators, including: bear, puma, wolves, coyotes, alligators, and jaguar.

Doubt it. Boar are by nature feart of hee haw. they dont have a natural predator in most countries they thrive in other than Man. A wolf probably would stay clear of a Boar unless the Boar is injured. Just put a better fence up.

i've been to places in OZ (bushwalking on my own) which were that remote that the feral pigs just looked curiously @ me when i walked past (as they never got hunted there and likely never even saw humans in their entire life...) but i also earwitnessed on another occasion dingos killing a feral pig...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Surely you must have some contact with people around you ? even just for shopping for essentials ?

My son speaks Japanese, he says it's easy because it's pronounced just as it's written using our alphabet, but the thing to be aware of is the up, down or equal social position is very much specific to the situation.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I never know how to pronounce it :eek:
It's the little grav things that kind of throw me`'`~'¨^–.....I don't think my keyboard even has some of them.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE