berghaus "centurio" vs. karrimor "sabre" ?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
after several months of research looking for a backpack for overnight trips (and an upcoming longer trip; volume ca 45 liters) and manufacturers telling me they either don't have a dealer in Costa Rica (or cheerfully telling me about the nearest dealer in Ecuador or the US...) and sellers only accepting paypal (or likewise new-fangled methods) i FINALLY found a seller who both ships to here and accepts bank transfer as payment. coming week i have (fingers, toes and nose hairs crossed) some paid work coming up so i'm planning to get myself a new pack... . the seller has a few of each of the packs mentioned in stock, both roughly the same price.
long rant cut short: which one is the better one (for hiking/ bushcrafting activities)?! the "sabre" gets mentioned on occasion but i didn't find much about the "centurio"....(i'm quite happy with my 110l berghaus pack so i presume the smaller one might be of similar quality)

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I'm sure other will be able to share more opinions, but for me the Centurio is let down by its waist strap - it's not padded like the sabre, it's just a webbing strap which won't be comfortable.

And there are some compatibility issues with the side pouches and zips, I don't think it takes the standard plce pouches that the sabre does.

Hth.

Reactions: forrestdweller

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Both good packs. The Sabre was based on the old Karrimor Alpinste the Centurio more like an updated Munro. Not much between them really. I think given the option the Sabre is probably the slightly better pack - Foogs is correct about the waist strap. I would go for the Sabre.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I had a sabre before, the way the shoulder straps are designed they’re fixed in a very narrow point and with any heavy load they really hurt my shoulders. I have a Munro now which as stated is what the centurio is based off. The shoulder straps are far more comfortable for me, I rarely use the waist strap but when I do it’s not uncomfortable, though I do get what people mean about it being lightweight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE