Blue Flame Pocket Torch ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Blue Flame Pocket Torch ,anyone use one ??
Mears site has them at £29.95 and Strikeforce has them for a fiver :yikes:
Am i missing something ?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
rapidboy said:
Blue Flame Pocket Torch ,anyone use one ??
Well, I have a cheap £4 "green flame pocket torch". :D Works exactly the same and even though mines is cheap, it can light many, many fires without refill. :wink:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Are they the same ones? I know that there are lots of cheap versions of the blue flame blazer. Maybe woodlore have the genuine article and strikeforce have the cheaper ones? I was looking at some cheap ones today as I've lost my blue flame :cry:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I had one experience with a blue flame torch, and it was rubbish! So kinda been put off ever since. I suspect the £5 one is useless.;

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Blue Flame homepage:
http://www.hill.u-net.com/

Quote from there:
Beware of cheap copies on the market. They are poor quality, poor flame, soon fail and are not repairable.
The genuine Pocket Micro Torch has PB-207 stamped on the cap.

I seem to remember this subject cropping up on British Blades over a year ago and the general thrust seemed to be avoid the cheapies.
Hope this helps.
:f:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a £30 version and it works well. Mates have bought a cheap version from Cotswolds, and they seemed ok for the (considerably less) price.

The only down side of the cheaper version seemed to be no rubber stand and not having a see through bottom to see the fuel levels. I think it might not have a height adjuster either but I'm not sure on that one now.

On the plus side, they're only £6 so it doesn't hurt so much if you lose it!!!

I can't comment on burn times between the 2 because we never compared them.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
The cheapies aren't so well made. I had two. One went in the bin after a couple of months, the other's still going and useful after a couple of years, but the head's very loose & wobbly from being squashd during packing.

I use windmill lighters for reliability and real stormproofing but from comments I've heard the £30 blue flame is much better than the cheap copies.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I have both a cheap one (silver metal case) and a expensive one (got it from woodlore when I worked for them) and to be honest both are much of a muchness - good hot flame, ideal for stoves and fire lighting but I find both are prone to suffering from the damp which is their only dry back.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Tone, i probably got a cheapo one then! Maybe a replacement for my zippo, but does a blue flame torch have that universal *click*....*snap* ;)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
But strangely so satisfying to do yourself! *click*snap*click*snap*click*snap* ;)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have had a cheapie for ages and although for some reason (maybe a blocked nozzle) the flame is a little more diffused, it's still brilliant... I think it was about £3 from Wembley market.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE