Children’s torch recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Afternoon all,

I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old who are both into the outdoors. Recently we’ve been exploring the garden at night (as in I’m locking up the shed etc)

Currently the boys use my torches but for Christmas I’d like to buy them their own. I am therefore looking for recommendations.

Ideally I’d like:
1: can take a drop/will take a drop
2: single function on and off
3: not too bright so as not to annoy neighbours or blind each other
4: looks like a torch rather than a toy

Any advice gratefully received

Reactions: Crac

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Years ago I bought a wind up torch in Ikea, from their children's dept.
It has been and is, brilliant. Even when my hands and wrists ache, that torch works easily.

I don't think Ikea sell it in the UK anymore, but it's this one....
and you might find someone selling them here ?
They're very robust, very child hand friendly sort of thing, and it's a brilliant concept about energy....turn the handle, and the light works :)
It's energy storage system seems to be lasting remarkably well too.

Ljusa was the name on it. Mine is bright red.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If have no problem with ordering from Aliexpress, a Convoy T3

It's a single AA/14500 light. But you'd want to just use AA (primary or rechareable) battery to limit it's output.
Then can configure the light to have 3 modes, 1% 10% and 50%. Or configure it to have a single mode 100%.

Last edited:

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
I’d try a slightly different solution: Why not give them a real torch?
Find the ‘cheapest’ two AAA torch (like about £4 each). What I'm hoping for is the long term: The torch is useful for changing a tyre or during a power cut.

(Edit: With the three AAA designs, the batteries are fitted into an adapter. I've found the adapters to be very fragile. So I'd avoid that style of torch.

I've done a search for the larger AA torches in a small budget, I've added what I found. I suspect/fear the larger batteries would just be drained 'faster' for an even brighter torch...)

1. It should take a small knock… or can be fitted with a wrist lanyard. If the torch is all rubber it could be bulky and it’s extra weight.
1b. Plan B: If you really need padding, look for some hockey tape?
1c. Plan C: It was £4...

2. It’s likely to be single function. With a button on the tail. You have control over this.

3. It will be bright and effective, so they need to learn a little responsibility*. You might be able to mitigate some performance by using lower voltage rechargeable batteries(?). But this ‘problem’ might be engineered out.
3b. If you want to be a little naughty what about scuffing the lens with a little sand paper??? Or shim the reflector out of alignment. Or add wood glue/craft glue (PVA) to the lens.

4. It will clearly look like a torch and should serve the house for a few years.

*I don’t see much value in buying an inferior torch with sub-standard tech… unless it was critical that the torch needs to be resistant to a two year old. I know this is a bit of a can 'o worms.

My counter-point is that when Maglites blow a bulb, there's a hot piece of glass/metal... broken glass to be changed in the dark. The modern COB units don't have these problems... or step back to discrete LEDs if that better fits your needs. (But the discrete LEDs tends to mean sillyness with battery holders, Exactly what I want to avoid.)

Basic idea:
( This set of two.... dang repeats... are <£4 )
* Obviously this is NOT 5000 lm... more like 150 lm tops... It's a torch made with exactly the same parts.

Idea if you want to cause trouble?
£2.39 !!!
-With the adjustable focus, you could glue in out of focus flood beam.

Attempt 2... back on task. (£4.89 to £8)

£5

£6

£7

£8

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Crikey! I've just had a look on eBay for the one I recommended....they're selling them for £20 :sigh:
I'm positive I didn't spend more than a fiver for it all those years ago.
It's still a blooming good torch, but it was sold for children...it's really well shaped for their little hands.

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Mine all have headtorches from Petzl which we got fairly cheap, the kids like them because they are hands free. They have different light levels which is handy for reading and preserving battery life also with the head strap its easier to hang off/round things for ease of location at night.
One thing worth considering is weather to use rechargeable or replaceable batteries as my lot burn through them like crazy(leaving them on all night etc). I have a battery recharger and some Varta rechargeable so I recharge before we go anywhere.

Reactions: Wildgoose and Toddy

ranger85

Dec 28, 2011
north wales
I found that lantern style ones worked best for my lot, easy left on the floor to illuminate an area , can be used as a night light at bedtimes indoors and out, Use it to attract moths to a bedsheet , usually a slightly longer battery life and if its a decent size bloody hard to loose!!!

Reactions: Toddy and Wildgoose

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
How bout this.

Fenix have a good pedigree

Three simple modes

160 lumens max.

*maybe just for the 5yr old. Thats similar to what my boys have. (Just re-read the ages :rolleyes: ;))

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
For the 2 year old definitely something simple but 5 year old could use a multi setting torch.

Energizer Eveready LED Torch, Extra-Long runtime LED Light, General Purpose and Emergency Handheld Torch, Black, ‎18 x 4 x 7.9 cm; 160 Grams, 2 Count
I got these in the end. £7 on a Black Friday deal.
Nice clicky switch and bright enough for what we need. Plastic could be a touch thicker but for the money seem excellent. Batteries are isolated with a peel off sticker.
I’ll probably get another pack for the cars

Reactions: Crac and stonepark

mylofitz

Apr 19, 2012
Cheshire
Saw these today and remembered this thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE