EDC torch that's uncomplicated

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
EDC definitely doesn't just relate to curated collections of shiny things people carry for the simple pleasure of them.
I might be swimming upstream then ;) . My EDC is decidedly prosaic. For example torches. I use a pocket torch several times a day & most of them drive me nuts

I do not need;
A side switch
A tail switch
Any kind of strobe function (!)
Magnetic charging
Any built in magnets that drag the damn coins out if my pocket
USB charging
A strike bezel
Bluetooth
More than two light levels

All I want is something small, bright, with a key ring and interchangeable batteries. Fenix used to make one and stopped :mad:

Reactions: cbrdave

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
What Fenix model was that? Sounds like you are describing the E01, and they make a v2 now.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I might be swimming upstream then ;) . My EDC is decidedly prosaic. For example torches. I use a pocket torch several times a day & most of them drive me nuts

I do not need;
A side switch
A tail switch
Any kind of strobe function (!)
Magnetic charging
Any built in magnets that drag the damn coins out if my pocket
USB charging
A strike bezel
Bluetooth
More than two light levels

All I want is something small, bright, with a key ring and interchangeable batteries. Fenix used to make one and stopped :mad:

I could recommend many, probably even have something suitable in AAA twisty form if you wanted, but Jared is in with a replacement for your Fenix already.

Agree about the magnets, unless it’s a worklight or right angled torch, they play havoc with things, especially automatic watches. Another ‘ahem’ EDC I like. :whistling:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What Fenix model was that? Sounds like you are describing the E01, and they make a v2 now.
I like more light than that. The E15 was my choice.

I was given an Olight Baton 3. It has a good level of light by all the tactical magnetic nonsense has consigned it to the drawer.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I like more light than that. The E15 was my choice.

I was given an Olight Baton 3. It has a good level of light by all the tactical magnetic nonsense has consigned it to the drawer.

Ah a CR123 light, the E16 was the replacement but added button and tail magnet.

Seems only one cr123/rcr123 twisty in parametrek is still available

Reactions: British Red

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It might be worth reconsidering 2 criteria. Twisty is very limiting, a tail clicky is more reliable and opens a ton of options. And USB charging. Several manufacturers offer CR123a size batteries with USB C ports on the actual battery. Or a couple of rechargeables on a torch with a USB C port on the side would work well. Otherwise you‘re buying and chucking batteries unnecessarily.

Reactions: dwardo

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m curious why usb recharging is a bad thing?

I find USB C so good now and am loath to use a torch where I have to replace the batteries or being taking batteries out to recharge. The run time and ease of charging now seems a no brainer for me.
Thing is Stew, the whole thread is based on Reds comment in the EDC forum vote thread, so what’s above isn’t a definite list of wants, it’s passing comment and a bit of a rant at things being over complicated.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ah a CR123 light, the E16 was the replacement but added button and tail magnet.
Had one. It absolutely sucked. How stupid do you have to be to think a magnetic pocket torch that sits in a pocket with steel coins and keys is a good idea?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It might be worth reconsidering 2 criteria. Twisty is very limiting, a tail clicky is more reliable and opens a ton of options. And USB charging. Several manufacturers offer CR123a size batteries with USB C ports on the actual battery. Or a couple of rechargeables on a torch with a USB C port on the side would work well. Otherwise you‘re buying and chucking batteries unnecessarily.
I'm fine with a USB charging battery. That's how I run my E15 using Fenix batteries. Tail clicks turn on accidentally in pockets and run flat. I actively want limiting. On and off, bright & dim. No strobes, no moonlight mode, no limited turbo, no red blue flashing. Just a good, simple, functional torch that doesn't drag coins out of my pocket or turn on inside it

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I’m curious why usb recharging is a bad thing?

I find USB C so good now and am loath to use a torch where I have to replace the batteries or being taking batteries out to recharge. The run time and ease of charging now seems a no brainer for me.
Because I use my pocket torch all the time. I can't stop using it because it's flat. I want to swap batteries & get on with my day. It's fine if the battery recharges, but not if the torch is a sealed unit. The other point is that as the battery degrades, I don't want to have to replace the torch.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think what you are looking for is a candle in a jamjar, doesn't get simpler than that :)
Nope, I'm looking for a torch that's simple & functional, not full of pointless frippery like strobe functions. Anyone ever needed a strobe function or a strike bezel here?

Anyone?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm considering going back to a little maglite, simple on and off and with no e of the flashing.lark and the magnets.
Makes a lot of sense. If I could find a small simple torch with 500+ lumens no magnets and pocket safe carry I'd buy two!

Reactions: cbrdave

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Good old Maglite Solitare, twist to switch on and off, AAA battery, LED, robust, it also doesn't switch on in your pocket and is a nice shape/size. They are pretty water resistant mine has been under 3 meters of water without leaking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE