EDC torch that's uncomplicated

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Is this something that BcUK could put it’s weight behind?
How high up the manufacturing scale can we reach? Most of the big name Outdoor outlets are selling torches made in Asia.

But
Can we agree a simple spec:

Size.
Material
Power source.
Beam
Wattage / lumens
Switch
(Waterproof)
(Colour range)

Presumably to be sold on simplicity, reliability and universality.

How sure are we that it isn’t already out there?

Edited to add:
Well maybe not. Ho hum!
Best chance of getting a flashlight made, would be to post on BudgetLightForums.

They have gotten a few lights made, including the LT1 lanterns.

Reactions: Nice65 and Pattree

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
How high up the manufacturing scale can we reach? Most of the big name Outdoor outlets are selling torches made in Asia.

But

Size.
Material
Power source.
Beam
Wattage / lumens
Switch
(Waterproof)
(Colour range)

Edited to add:
Well maybe not. Ho hum!
Agree a spec via committee?

Yeah, good luck! :D

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
"Consensus" sounds better than committee. ;)

If you were to try, perhaps asking what people want in respect of each feature one at a time might work. People would, presumably, drop out of the voting if it wasn't heading towards a torch they personally were interested in, so you might have a better chance to reach a consensus that suits everyone who is.

Either way, you could do it just for the fun of it anyway. If folks who know about these things were happy to go beyond just "Want this" into why then it could be a very valuable resource for anyone choosing their next torch.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

But

Size.
Material
Power source.
Beam
Wattage / lumens
Switch
(Waterproof)
(Colour range)

Edited to add:
Well maybe not. Ho hum!
BudgetLightForum is who manufacturers listen to. There are many BLF lights.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
@British Red

This E15 awaits you should you want a replacement. It’s free, we would need to sort out the shipping costs. This guy resides on BudgetLightForum and has offered it in answer to a thread I started looking at options, so I assume he’s in US.

IMG_3687.jpegIMG_3688.jpeg

Reactions: British Red

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Glad to see you found that E15, OP

I have got one of those Titans that Pokem has. It is likeable, simple and very robust. I think I must find it a little bit heavy because I don't carry it that often, though. Mainly, I have an old Klarus, long out of production. But I have recently taken to carrying a Peak Eiger - again, I don't think they are available now. I bought it ages ago and it kind of languished in a box somewhere. When it was new it had a novel twist function which (I think) compressed a little pill to alter the light level. That doesn't work now. It is just On or Off, pretty much. This is OK by me as the beam is just great.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is funny how living a country life does change perspectives. A torch for me is essential. Barns are often poorly lit if lit at all. Try finding something in a one thousand square foot building with no lights. We have no street lights, no pavements & socking great water filled potholes in the roads. A stroll to a neighbours house at 5pm right now is quite the adventure on a cloudy night right now!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ah a CR123 light, the E16 was the replacement but added button and tail magnet.

Seems only one cr123/rcr123 twisty in parametrek is still available

Guess who bought himself a Jetbeam? :rolleyes:
Going to have to dig out my old AW RCR123 batteries and see if the they’re still good.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Guess who bought himself a Jetbeam? :rolleyes:
Going to have to dig out my old AW RCR123 batteries and see if the they’re still good.

Did you see there was a seller in Scotland on ebay selling them for £29?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Did you see there was a seller in Scotland on ebay selling them for £29?

Paid a fair bit less than that, worked out about £20 on Aliexpress after the tax. UK Bangood have them around the same.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE