EDC torch that's uncomplicated

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm fine with a USB charging battery. That's how I run my E15 using Fenix batteries. Tail clicks turn on accidentally in pockets and run flat. I actively want limiting. On and off, bright & dim. No strobes, no moonlight mode, no limited turbo, no red blue flashing. Just a good, simple, functional torch that doesn't drag coins out of my pocket or turn on inside it
Gotcha. I thought it was an issue around use.

Reactions: British Red

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I have the olight Baton 3 which was serving me well until my Farmer X Alox became my daily knife option. Now the blooming thing keeps getting stuck to my knife due to the magnet. I don’t carry coins but I can see why that’d be annoying as well.

Following with interest.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good old Maglite Solitare, twist to switch on and off, AAA battery, LED, robust, it also doesn't switch on in your pocket and is a nice shape/size. They are pretty water resistant mine has been under 3 meters of water without leaking.
Too dim sadly. Would like at least 300lm

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
I have the olight Baton 3 which was serving me well until my Farmer X Alox became my daily knife option. Now the blooming thing keeps getting stuck to my knife due to the magnet. I don’t carry coins but I can see why that’d be annoying as well.

Following with interest.
The Olight baton range have a very good pocket/ belt clip to keep well out of knife and coins way. One feature I like is the lock, where you press and hold the button when off and it stops the light from coming on by mistake. Also it has replaceable recharable batteries.

Reactions: mikehill

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
The Olight baton range have a very good pocket/ belt clip to keep well out of knife and coins way. One feature I like is the lock, where you press and hold the button when off and it stops the light from coming on by mistake. Also it has replaceable recharable batteries.
I find it's a bit too thick to want to carry using the clip in my pocket and I don't like carrying things on my belt, so generally just keep my torch loose in a pocket. The magnet is my only annoyance with the torch though, it's otherwise a great little light.

Reactions: Glass-Wood-Steel

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent

Or P7 core

Sounds like its going to be too big and Unfortunately a tail switch.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Regarding Olight tailcap magnets, they are easily removed with a pair of tweezers.

A recessed tail cap with a firm clicky switch shouldn’t really come on in the pocket, but I see why you like the twisty. I’ve lost a couple of keyring twisties due to the head coming off, but not a problem with pocket carry.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
@British Red I‘ve found you an old but functional original E15 if it’s any good to you? A guy on another forum has it, he doesn’t want anything for it but I suspect it’s located in the US so shipping would need to be covered.

Reactions: mikehill

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Has the FENIX E01 V2.0 AAA FLASHLIGHT feature a parabolic reflector for Spot light?.
Cheers

It has a TIR lens, so more controlled spot compared to a reflector lens which puts out a spot with wider spill.

GUIDE_TIR_03.jpg

Left is a TIR lens, right a reflector.

Reactions: Nice65
I might be swimming upstream then ;) . My EDC is decidedly prosaic. For example torches. I use a pocket torch several times a day & most of them drive me nuts

I do not need;
A side switch
A tail switch
Any kind of strobe function (!)
Magnetic charging
Any built in magnets that drag the damn coins out if my pocket
USB charging
A strike bezel
Bluetooth
More than two light levels

can someone please forward this statement to torch makers?!
(=i'm in the same boat -- USB charging is useless if you live off-grid and more prone to moisture issues than a sealed battery compartment in my tropical environment + takes longer to recharge than changing a battery... plus i don't need a torch bright enough to illuminate a whole city block or beam a light up to the moon )

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Is this something that BcUK could put it’s weight behind?
How high up the manufacturing scale can we reach? Most of the big name Outdoor outlets are selling torches made in Asia.

But
Can we agree a simple spec:

Size.
Material
Power source.
Beam
Wattage / lumens
Switch
(Waterproof)
(Colour range)

Presumably to be sold on simplicity, reliability and universality.

How sure are we that it isn’t already out there?

Edited to add:
Well maybe not. Ho hum!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Is this something that BcUK could put it’s weight behind?
How high up the manufacturing scale can we reach? Most of the big name Outdoor outlets are selling torches made in Asia.

But
Can we agree a simple spec:

Size.
Material
Power source.
Beam
Wattage / lumens
Switch
(Waterproof)
(Colour range)

Presumably to be sold on simplicity, reliability and universality.

How sure are we that it isn’t already out there?

Edited to add:
Well maybe not. Ho hum!

No..Not normally.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE