Bit of advice wanted.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Basically before I start buying everything I want to go out into the woods for a night to find out if I would actually enjoy camping out so I want to know what kit I could get away with (without having to buy much else)
I wouldn't be building a fire, just using a camping stove for food, probably sleeping on the ground as that would mean I wouldn't have to buy a hammock.

just staying one night, would I get away with this:

Poncho for cover
Sleeping bag
Trangia with pots, pans and cutlery.
bottle
Mug
Food
Torch
Knife.

Would I need to bring a mat or ground sheet?
Would I need to use a bivi bag?
What else would I need?

Using just those (using camping mat instead of ground sheet) I'd only need to buy a poncho (I'd prefer a poncho as I could use it for if it rains too) and then I could try camping out without having to buy too much.

Thanks for any help!
Asa.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I would definately recommend a roll mat of some description as they greatly add to the warmth and comfort of your basha.

I slept out without a bivvy bag for years - it can be cold and wet, but you survive! Having said that, I always take one these days.

I would say that you have covered all the basics - now go and play out! (Don't forget to take some pictures and share them here!)

Simon

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I've got one of those foam cmaping mats, will that do? So after that I'd just need to buy the poncho.

There are a few tree's around the place where I am thinking of going so I might take paracord to tie up the poncho. It's a shame about having to buy one though, I would rather try it then buy it!

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
Yup.

I would take a bivi, and mat of some kind. The mat protects your back from the cold ground. And the bivi for the chance that your bag gets wet. but it depends on the outer lining off the bag some can take a bit off water really well, and some can't like mine :(

That's why I'm no longer a ground dweller :p

Bas

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Add the roll mat and your sorted. Truth be told you probably don't NEED any of it this time of year. Each bit of kit just makes it more comfortable. Carry less enjoy more.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Bivi bags are a bit too expensive so if I can do without this one time I think I will.

So my kit list goes:
Poncho for cover
Sleeping bag
Ground mat
Trangia with pots, pans and cutlery.
Bottle
Mug
Food
Torch
Knife.

That sounds ok, I have all of that apart from the poncho, would something like this do? 390057568466 (ebay number)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just a thought but if you have no bivy bag, use a poncho as a makeshift bivibag and a cheap small builders tarp for cover ;)
I know the weather is ok but if the rain comes in sideways or the ground is wet then it keeps your bag dry.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For one night in this weather you'll be just fine with what you have, but don't forget toilet roll - just in case! :)

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
A.S. your list seems pretty good for a one nighter, a bivvi is nice but not a need to have item...
Just need something to keep the airbourne moisture off, something to stop your body heat from leaching into the ground, something to eat out of & with, something to hold water and something for food... thats it... fancy kit is not really needed in this hobby.

Karl

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
A.S. your list seems pretty good for a one nighter, a bivvi is nice but not a need to have item...
Just need something to keep the airbourne moisture off, something to stop your body heat from leaching into the ground, something to eat out of & with, something to hold water and something for food... thats it... fancy kit is not really needed in this hobby.

Karl

By airbourne moisture do you mean rain? That's what I'd use the poncho for, I'd just need to experiment before hand how to set it up (any reccomendations?). I'd bring a camping mat to help with the ground insulation. Depending on what food I'd brought I might jsut eat straight out of the pans, although we do have some camping bowls/plates. I have a camelback that I could use to cary water in (takes a few litres I think) which should be more than enough for drinking water and washig up)
Food I'd probably pack up inside the trangia, there is plenty of room in there.

Hi Asa
I would stay take a basic first aid kit too.
Have fun!

Good point! I think we have one kicking about somewhere...

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
For me I just bungee up my hootchie to some trees and throw down my mat and bag and sleep... that being said, you need to set the tarp/poncho so it cuts any wind that would blow through, i.e. peg to the windward side... set it up no higher than your waist and if needs be add a ridge line to give you some more room...

we all have a preffered way to set up, and there are as many ways to do it as there are people on the planet...

if you look here, Michel Blomgren shows the simplest way and give some good recomendations on kit etc... http://www.bushcraft.se/film/index.html.en#ep05

If you are just new to all this he's a great intro to the hobby... sure they are in swedish but they have english subtitles and are very interesting to watch...

Karl

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I can't watch movies in this computer, would you be able to explain it?

Also, could you eplain the "bungee up" bit a bit better? :p

Just found an easy way searching on the intarwebs, although there wouldn't be much room. Tie cord to the opposit end grommets and tie each to a tree (so you have the poncho hanging folded in half) then either peg down the grommets along each edge or use more cord and pegs to creat a two-sided tent. That sounds about fine for me. Just hope to get it the right way round so I don't get my feet/head wet :p

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
jus hook a bugee cord into the eyelets on the corners, then around a tree and hook back onto itself, self tensioning and fast.

tarp set up: select two trees a suitable distance apart, tie para cord to the corners (or bungees) then attach to the trees at about waist height, peg out the base to create a basic lean-to throw your kit inside and you are done... its just high enough to sit up in and is the most basic set upthere is for a tarp shelter... if you want more room set up a ridge line to pull the tarp/poncho away from you some more, if you go to the site I added the link to you can see it there without opening the movies...

Karl

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
examine the weather forecast in detail before you go, if a dry night is forecast it can still get very damp from dew and mist particularly if the sky is clear from cloud cover.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE