Bit of advice wanted.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreyOne

Apr 12, 2009
N Texas
For regular trips a poncho is a good thing to have, but for a one off trial camp out, you might just get a couple of large contractor grade trash bags. These can be cut to provide arm and head holes allowing wear as a poncho.Also good as an emergency cover for gear / rucksack/ sleeping bag if it gets too wet. I usually keep at least one flat in my ruck as an emergency use item.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...large contractor grade trash bags..."

These bags or 'rubble sacks' as they are sometimes referred to are fantastic bits of kit with multiple uses, take a few :)

I'm presuming that you already own a Triangia cookset, if not you could save yourself a few bob by using a trade sized peach can or coffee tin instead.

The cheap and cheerful builders tarps mentioned earlier are well worth a try, however rather than use the eyelets (which are prone to being ripped out), tie a small object such as a stone or pine cone into the sheet corner instead.

I'm just debating to myself now whether to get a tarp or poncho....Oh, I'd need to buy some paracord too.

You can use your tarp as a poncho (although it helps is you possess a large brimmed hat too) :)
Any strong cord will do the job, don't get hung up on whether its paracord or not :)
As mentioned by 'DavidJT' earlier, a first aid kit should be on your packing list.

Have fun :)

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
Bivi bags are a bit too expensive so if I can do without this one time I think I will.

Have a look on EvilBay, there was a store selling ex army ones for £25 delivered in A condition.

Keep in mind that a Bivi bag will help protect your sleeping mat and bag as they are both inside it, and also helps to add a few degrees to your sleeping bag limits.
Also if you buy ex army ones, they are usually big enough to keep your kit in as well.

And I will second the shout out for Loo Roll :lmao:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks a lot for all the replies!

Looking at the weather right now, its foggy and the rain is coming in in clouds tumbling across the ground, so to just use a poncho for cover I'd have to have it right on the ground, maybe put two tent poles in it to make it into a small tent then peg that down to keep the rain out. If I had it open anywhere I'd need something waterproof over my gear like a bivi.

I am tempted by the "poncho tent" as it looks quite easy to set up, and doesn't require trees (which is great because tere aren't a lot of trees around here) if you're not sure what I mean it's like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgoqAtw-55g I'd need to prop it up for cooking but for sleeping it looks great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE