Biggest Life Lesson

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Joking aside, I don't think young people should listen to older people.
Yes, it would make life easier for older people if they did, but I think for the progression of society and life it's important to find your own way, warts and all.

I don't have any children. If I did I would tell them not to climb and jump out of that tree. I would tell them not to cross that road and go beyond the block. That would be the responsible thing to do.
But I would be sorely disappointed if they obeyed me. Every ounce and fibre of my being would hope to God they disobeyed me and did it anyway without telling me.
Similarly, I could tell my younger self any amount of truisms, but it's absolutely essential that I wouldn't have listened, even if I had been nodding my head in agreement.

Facing adversity and difficulty and overcoming them is essential to our development, and being obedient and doing as others say (sorry, advise) doesn't help that.

There is nothing I would tell my younger self. No advice I would give.
Actually, maybe just the one - it doesn't matter, you always get another chance.

I assume you never attended school then?

Oh, we going to play that game, eh?
Ok then.

I assume you don't know the difference between academic study and second-hand homilies then?

Go on, your turn...

Sorry, i thought you said you didn't listen to the older people?
Far be it from me, a humble basic member to call time on bickering but I’ve experienced enough friction between forum members over the years to write a book on it. I know this is only low level grumbling but it doesn’t look good. You guys are better than this.

Reactions: Robbi and Fadcode

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Nothing is ever as bad as it seems.

All the mistakes iv made, I have got over.
It's seemed like the end of the world at the time, but it really isn't.
More importantly I'm understanding that everyone looked upto someone at something at somepoint, and to try and hold myself to a standard where I would be proud if someone were to copy me for my accomplishments rather than defeats, so be a better role model.

ianpatt

Feb 26, 2013
Essex
Please yourself and don't worry as much to please others without being selfish, regret the things you did and not the things you didn't.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nothing is ever as bad as it seems.

All the mistakes iv made, I have got over.
It's seemed like the end of the world at the time, but it really isn't.
More importantly I'm understanding that everyone looked upto someone at something at somepoint, and to try and hold myself to a standard where I would be proud if someone were to copy me for my accomplishments rather than defeats, so be a better role model.

“We suffer more in imagination than we do in reality.” -Epictetus.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hah! Hard one sort of... too many to choose.
Easiest one would be to always be myself and don't stress about things you can't control and to smash the bully on day one and not wait for years...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE