Biggest Life Lesson

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What is the biggest life lesson you wish you could have told your younger self that you've come to accept/understand/believe now?

What would have been the thing that would have changed your perspective, sorted your life out , alleviate anxiety , gave you what your younger self needed to hear and understand ???

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Be prepared for incapacitation, hospitalisation and recovery.
As an example; Knee replacement. If you are self employed, make damn sure you have three months worth of £’s in t’bank.
For all the moaning about ‘scroungers’ and easy access to the benefits system IMO this is total bull51t. If you are self employed y’all get f’all. Simples. For three months ‘till you can get back to work.
S

Reactions: Idiotus Maximus

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... difficult. I know now that I didn't know everything when I was younger but, if I'd known it then, I probably wouldn't have had the 'arrogance' to do half the things I did :)

Trying to tell my younger self not to be so 'hot headed' would be a waste of time; I still do things and say things that I regret an hour later even with that wisdom!

I wish I'd studied Zen in my youth.

Live every day because the days get shorter.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
Two spring to mind straight away.
You are the villain in someone's story and We are here for a good time not a long time.
Apart from the one, my father would tell me that to be frank never worked and got me into more trouble than I care to mention or remember. "Always get yours in first".

Si.

Reactions: TeeDee

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Be prepared for incapacitation, hospitalisation and recovery.
As an example; Knee replacement. If you are self employed, make damn sure you have three months worth of £’s in t’bank.
For all the moaning about ‘scroungers’ and easy access to the benefits system IMO this is total bull51t. If you are self employed y’all get f’all. Simples. For three months ‘till you can get back to work.
S

Hmm. I think I'd go further than that - if you're self-employed, don't rely on the NHS, get private medical insurance.

I was almost completely out of commission through spinal damage for about 2 years. Absolutely no support from the NHS, nor any benefits.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
If you use the internet never believe what you read , same with newspapers, find out the truth yourself.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Joking aside, I don't think young people should listen to older people.
Yes, it would make life easier for older people if they did, but I think for the progression of society and life it's important to find your own way, warts and all.

I don't have any children. If I did I would tell them not to climb and jump out of that tree. I would tell them not to cross that road and go beyond the block. That would be the responsible thing to do.
But I would be sorely disappointed if they obeyed me. Every ounce and fibre of my being would hope to God they disobeyed me and did it anyway without telling me.
Similarly, I could tell my younger self any amount of truisms, but it's absolutely essential that I wouldn't have listened, even if I had been nodding my head in agreement.

Facing adversity and difficulty and overcoming them is essential to our development, and being obedient and doing as others say (sorry, advise) doesn't help that.

There is nothing I would tell my younger self. No advice I would give.
Actually, maybe just the one - it doesn't matter, you always get another chance.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Joking aside, I don't think young people should listen to older people.
Yes, it would make life easier for older people if they did, but I think for the progression of society and life it's important to find your own way, warts and all.

I don't have any children. If I did I would tell them not to climb and jump out of that tree. I would tell them not to cross that road and go beyond the block. That would be the responsible thing to do.
But I would be sorely disappointed if they obeyed me. Every ounce and fibre of my being would hope to God they disobeyed me and did it anyway without telling me.
Similarly, I could tell my younger self any amount of truisms, but it's absolutely essential that I wouldn't have listened, even if I had been nodding my head in agreement.

Facing adversity and difficulty and overcoming them is essential to our development, and being obedient and doing as others say (sorry, advise) doesn't help that.

There is nothing I would tell my younger self. No advice I would give.
Actually, maybe just the one - it doesn't matter, you always get another chance.
I assume you never attended school then?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE