Best wild food of the year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I want to see what my signiture looks like!!

I had blackberries today and some flounder yesterday fresh and tasty. Cooked it with rice, peppers, onion, garlic, chillies and a splash of soya sauce. Yum yum yum :lol:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Too true, I have only come across raspberries a couple of times this year. Loads of blackberries and Dewberries though. We've had crumbles and pies a couple of times.

I think we are going to be making Rowan berry and crab apple jam this week, should be good. The hawthorn berries are coming on as are the elderberries. Autumn's coming and it's a fine time of the year to forage :p

I had a raspberry plant all picked out to return to, I'd only taken the ripest from it, then the Forestry Commission came along and cut it down, the buggers! They probably only use that gate twice a year....

In the spring I like a few ramsons, the flavour is much more subdued than garlic, and ramsons grow in their millions in the Cotswolds.

I've been picking sloes already this year, they seem to be ripening very early. I like my sloe gin and sloe vodka :)

Roger

B

bearblade

Irritating bird pie :twisted: with thick pastry. Had to cook it myself because the missus didn't want to know, typical :D

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
the blackberries this year are some of the best I have ever tasted.

We went down to the New Forrest for the weekend and had to stop for our son to have a wee :roll:

The bramble thicket in the middle of the field was fantastic :D

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A quick tip for you sloe gin/vodka lovers.

Put your sloes in the freezer for a day or so. Let them defrost and you can add them to the gin without all that tedious piercing. They seem to colour the gin much quicker this way.

Whatever way you make it it is good stuff though!

Dave

I usually freeze sloes for a couple of weeks before making sloe gin. I popped a couple of pounds in the freezer last weekend.

A couple of blackcurrants squeezed their way out of a freezer bag and dropped onto the kitchen floor. After a quick rinse under the tap I popped them in my mouth, mmmmmm frozen blackcurrant .......... Ouch! They were sloes, not blackcurrants at all, part of last year's haul which I forgot to label .....

Be organised in your foraging!

Roger

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I found 3 wild cherry trees this year. One had passable fruit,one very sour and one very sweet. Some of my other favourite wild foods are elderflowers eaten straight from the tree. Perch from the river, this fish has very delicate sweet flesh but very tough skin and a lot of bones.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I wandered the full length of the river last Saturday.
Got up at 5am all ready to go, didn’t realise it didn’t get light till 6.30!
I could have had some more sleep

Caught 7 trout, and on my wanderings I found some wild mushrooms.
Got home, fried them it all up, stuffed them with some onions from the garden, and covered with lots of seasoning.
Tasty!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
The mushrooms are great this year!

Yesterday on the way home from work I managed to collect about a kilo of Ceps (bolitus edulis) and found a great clump of Hedgehog mushrooms (Hydnum repandum).

Cooked them up with some bacon and garlic and had them for dinner :-D

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Sweet chestnuts are readilly available around my shoot, within about 5 mins I had about 1 1/2 lbs. Add this to free range bunny all year round, with the other bit thrown in when I can get it eg venison. I don't find many berries to use because the horses tend to beat me to them.

Simon

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The best so far tis year is a brace of french partridge. Lovely roasted!

Dave

P.S. Anyone got a good marinade for pheasant breast?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Blackberries.......... :biggthump :biggthump
They're just the best. :wink: Best raw.... i think! :wink: :mrgreen:
Just remember!: if you eat to many raw berries of any kind, your stomach will begin to hurt like a hot firetong in the a... :***: !!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

What i meant was that i think blackberries is the best wild food you can get at any time at the year.... ;) ;D
In Denmark the blackberries are good in the beginning of october ;) :D

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Young thistle shots are very good. They taste like a cross between celery and peanuts. The small nut like pad at the bottom of a spear thistle flower are good, but they are a swine to get at.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE