Best place to learn to Canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Ok I finish my degree this summer and well the wanderlust is taking over I'm going travelling. Nothing really set yet but where have you guys learned to canoe (not Kayak). Never paddled an open canoe but would love to.
Something worthwhile to note, my bro lives in Vancouver so if anyone knows of a place close by.....
Cheers guys
matt

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi Matt,

there are a couple of options open to you.

First join a Canoe club, check they do use canoes as Kayak clubs also call themselves canoe clubs and train on the BCU start courses

BCU.org.uk will ahve local clubs listed

Attend a BCU organised course - see web site above

Book a canoeing holiday that includes basic training

Lastly find someone on BCUK - pm MagiKelly for advice - near you who can show you the ropes

david

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
hobbitboy said:
Ok I finish my degree this summer and well the wanderlust is taking over I'm going travelling. Nothing really set yet but where have you guys learned to canoe (not Kayak). Never paddled an open canoe but would love to.
Something worthwhile to note, my bro lives in Vancouver so if anyone knows of a place close by.....
Cheers guys
matt

I would say (seriously), a good week or longer canoe trip will teach you to paddle in a hurry - because you have no other option. I would suggest BWCA, Quetico Provincial Park, Wabakimi Provincial Park, or Woodland Caribou Provincial Park.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As a level 4 open canoe coach I could help you out if you can make it to West Wales - I might even think about discount/trade on the payment!
John

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
John Fenna said:
As a level 4 open canoe coach I could help you out if you can make it to West Wales - I might even think about discount/trade on the payment!
John
Seems a decent offer to me!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, where are you hobbitboy? I was going to suggest asking over at SofTP it's a great site.

I've seen loads of cars and vans driving about here (west wales) with canoes on top over the last couple of weeks, I figure that we've had some rain so the rivers are up.

Good luck with your search.. :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All those canoes and Kayaks were up for the anual Tivy Tour, a two day event on the glorious river Tivy that is a supurb river for novice and expert alike - some sections I teach on , some even I portage around!
In West Wales we have supurb sections of flat water, moderate moving water, "interesting" white water and the sea.
Open Canoes are THE way to travel and get all bushie and I know of some supurb wild camping sites (not always exactly known about by the authorities) that make for great weekends on the water.
I am more than willing to pass on my skills, I am a qualified level 4 coach, able to train and assess NGB "Star"awards to 3 star, have all the insurances etc and can loan a couple of canoes bouyancy aids paddles etc but if you want to come down with your own gear it would help as last year I sold up my canoe coaching business and disposed of most of my gear!
I can kit out a couple of folk of average size at a time and would definately look at discount for BCUK folk or accept sevices/gear in trade if agreement could be reached.
Drop me a PM if anyone is interested.
John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE