Invitation: Bushcraft Canoe Trip Yukon & Teslin Rivers (Canada)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Tickets now booked, arrive on the evening of the 9th, depart afternoon of the 24th.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm a bit late to this thread, but if there is space for me I'm in. I looked up flights from here and they are reasonable enough considering the stopovers. I've been thinking about an expedition style trip to celebrate getting my PhD, and this one sounds perfect!
What a generous offer.
PM sent :)

Last edited:

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
I'm a bit late to this thread, but if there is space for me I'm in. I looked up flights from here and they are reasonable enough considering the stopovers. I've been thinking about an expedition style trip to celebrate getting my PhD, and this one sounds perfect!
What a generous offer.
PM sent :)

Join in! PM answered...:)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Fantastic. I've replied and am figuring out the best flights now. I look forward to meeting fellow bushcrafters over there :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Flights booked! Arriving on the 11th and leaving on the 23rd. Two stopovers and seven hours in Vancouver, but it will be worth it. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you over there. Thanks again Fabian :)

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Hi folks,

I just wanted to bump this thread. We already have a handful of folks from BCUK and BCUSA participating. But there is still a few seats available. If you are interested, please get in touch with me. This is your chance to do a bushcraft canoe trip in Canada's Yukon Territory!

Cheers,
Fabian

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Hi all,

So far 5 guys (where are the girls?) have booked their flights and are solid for the canoe trip in June 2016.

We have taken the first steps to plan the trip, by coming up with a list of things folks want to learn or improve on while paddling down Teslin and Yukon Rivers. I figured I'll post this “wish list” here on the forum hoping we can spark some more interest among those still on the fence. The more people join the more chance for all of us to learn while taking this amazing trip!

Here is what the current participants are interested in:

Fire Lighting:
- Bow Drill from scratch
- General fire starting in wet conditions

Hunting, Fishing & Gathering:

- Using a mini fishing kit
- Weaving fish net
- Plant ID & their uses
- Trapping

Cooking:
- Dutch oven cooking & baking
- Cooking without a pot

Crafts:
- Weaving a basket
- Making rope from tree bark
- Intricate wood carving techniques

Tracking

Canoeing
- Poling techniques
- Lining techniques
- Canoe rescue with a Z-drag

Fauna & Flora of Western Canada

Shelters used by Explorers/Traders/First Nations

In the next round of our planning phase participants can choose topics and skills they want to teach others. The more overlap with the wish list the better...

Winter is already fading out here in the Yukon, snow is melting fast at Temps above freezing and some river stretches are already open...canoeing season is coming......but the sled dogs look a little confused.

Cheers,
Fabian

Edit: We have another participant. I added his interests to the list.

Last edited:

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Hi folks,

The planning for this great trip is moving right along! Two guys dropped out, so we remain 4 enthusiastic bushcrafters taking on the Teslin & Yukon River challenge. Only a few more weeks to wait!

A big part of this trip is sharing information and teaching others the skills we learned. Every participants needs to teach/instruct at least to short sessions during this river trip. Nobody needs to be an expert to teach some basic skills and it is meant to be merely a starting point to explore and learn from there. So, no pressure here...

After all participants have expressed what they are interested in learning, this is what folks have committed to teach to their travel mates during the trip:

- Canvas/leather sewing
- Butchering
- Fish fileting & prepping (maybe cooking in ground oven)
- Fire making (in wet conditions)
- Net making
- Satellite Communication in Emergencies
- Bow drill
- Rope works
- Dutch oven cooking & baking
- Canoeing Intro
- Bear Safety
- Water treatment
- Plant ID & uses
- Hypothermia
- Trapping

Looks like a pretty darn good list to me! I think we have a pretty nicely skilled group going on a trip!

Right now I am working on the food planning and finalizing the shuttles. And in the meantime spring has arrived in the Yukon: Green leaves are
appearing everywhere, and we have seen a few bears in the last few days, wood peckers are hammering away in the woods, and squirrels are mighty active. We had very little snow pack to melt and not much rain so far (but enough to keep wild fire risks at bay for now), so the rivers are quit low in general. But enough water for a canoe trip!

If anyone else is interested in joining this trip last minute, get in touch with me ASAP. Still 4 more canoe seats available!

Cheers,
Fabian

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
OK, so having just completed 4 days of a 5 day canoe course (I dropped out after day 4) I have discovered that I really do not like canoes!

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
???:(What's not to like? You lean back and put your feet up and let the river drift you down hill...:)

Big fear of water I'm afraid! Fell in and the PFD was not buoyant enough to be of any use. Had to be rescued by the instructor in three feet of water 10 feet away from the shore!

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Getting ready for the summer season and the BCUS/BCUK/BCGermany trip on Teslin & Yukon Rivers.

Time to pull the canoes and some equipment from the winter storage and do some dusting!!!

Also need a new ax handle (check), have to order some replacement cups (check), buy some water treatment stuff (check), make a shopping list for the food (not checked yet), ...and where the heck did I put the fishing gear...?

Less than 2 weeks until we will hit the river. I am excited! :)

Last edited:

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Yesterday the mail man dropped off an awesome package! Canadian knife maker Grohmann send us two of their wonderful knives (#1 & 2) for us to field test and play with on this river trip. Better pack some extra bandages...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE