Before there were knives, how were there spoons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You don't need a hook knife to make a spoon, it just makes the job easier. I've carved spoons with an ordinary pocket knife before, so it must be do-able with a flint flake. It just takes longer.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
If you are talking purely about the bowl of the spoon I'm sure any rock could be used as a scraper or you could burn the bowl out using an ember.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Well in the bronze age they used bronze and in the stone age they used flint. There are some wonderful objects from early periods. Here's a nice one from Heathrow.
322109986_669521c151.jpg

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Folded bark works also.

I remember that Northern Wilderness episode in which RM described how, before the trade posts brought metal pots to the tribes, Indian women would heat water by dropping hot rocks into birch bark containers.

But how small can one make a bark container? Is there a minimum size below which it's either too fiddly or you can no longer work the bark properly?

And don't you need a decent knife technology (whether flint or metal) to work with bark, anyway?

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
er...set fire to a decent sized piece of wood, then scrape it out into a vessel...some of you even practice this I believe...

Sack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE