Bear over Everest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Did any one catch the TV programme of Bear G flying a powered parachute up to 29K-ish feet in the Himalayas ? You have to give the guy credit for having the guts to do something that dangerous and there was no fakery, no support off camera, it was real and scary. Despite the fact that I am a RM fan, I think Bear deserves a better press than he gets.

(If everyone is sick of BG v RM threads, then someone please remove this !)

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
I saw it, and although I have never warmed to BG as an outdoors man in the same league as RM I give maximum respect to what he did in that program. I was on the edge of my seat as he soared higher and higher. Brilliant stuff.

Loved the way you saw his adventurous side at Everest and also his fatherly side as he enjoyed time with his son at home.

More stuff like that please.

Alan.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Which channel was it on ? I would like to see that myself.

Not one for stirring the debate but BG has done a lot of great things and I think people sometimes forget that.

Yes I saw it too, and I have to admit I was very impressed.

I saw him give a talk about his time in the army, breaking his back, climbing everest etc in c. 2000 before the 'Born Survivor' debarkle, and thought he was inspirational.

However, having seen some of the hyped-up stuff he did for the TV show and the subsequent media revelations about the fakery, I was disappointed and stopped following him.

Caught this program more by accident than on purpose, but it showed him in the real light - esp. the bit when he was saying goodbye to his wife at the airport & then when things were getting to him at the everest base camp.

Lets hope we see more of the 'true' BG, perhaps he can repair his reputation for those of us that were put off?

Sorry Shewie, as I say I caught it by accident when channel hopping, so I can't remember which channel it was on.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Bear is a decent bloke, he has done a lot for a lot of people, in fact he has done much more for people than Ray has( no offence to ray) I can't imagine Ray sitting at a table eating dinner at 25000 feet underneath a hot air balloon. Here are some of his feats.

Circumnavigation of the UK
In 2000, Grylls, lead the first team to circumnavigate the UK on a personal watercraft or jet ski, taking about 30 days, to raise money for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).

He also rowed naked for 22 miles in a homemade bathtub along the Thames to raise funds for a friend who lost his legs in a climbing accident.[21]

Crossing the North Atlantic
Three years later, he led a team of five, including his childhood friend and Mount Everest climbing partner Mick Crosthwaite, on the first unassisted crossing of the north Atlantic Arctic Ocean, in an open rigid inflatable boat. Battling force 8 gale winds, hypothermia, icebergs and storms in an eleven-meter-long boat through some of the most treacherous stretches of water in the world including the Labrador Sea, the Denmark Strait, and the stretch made famous by The Perfect Storm, Bear and his team were just barely able to finish the journey from Halifax, Nova Scotia to John o' Groats, Scotland. He was awarded an Honorary commission in the Royal Navy as a Lieutenant-Commander for this feat.

Paramotoring over Angel Falls
In 2005, Grylls led the first team ever to attempt to paramotor over the remote jungle plateau of the Angel Falls in Venezuela, the world's highest waterfall. The team was attempting to reach the highest, most remote tepuis.

Dinner party at altitude
In 2005, alongside the balloonist and mountaineer David Hempleman-Adams and Lieutenant Commander Alan Veal, leader of the Royal Navy Freefall Parachute Display Team, Bear Grylls created a world record for the highest open-air formal dinner party, which they did under a hot-air balloon at 25,000 feet, dressed in full mess dress and oxygen masks. To train for the event, Bear made over 200 parachute jumps. This was in aid of the The Duke of Edinburgh's Award and The Prince's Trust.

Paramotoring over the Himalayas
In 2007, Grylls claimed to have broken a new world record by flying a Parajet paramotor over the Himalayas, higher than Mount Everest. Grylls took off from 14,500 feet, 8 miles south of the mountain. Grylls reported looking down on the summit during his ascent and coping with temperatures of −60 °C . He endured dangerously low oxygen levels and eventually reached 29,500 feet, almost 10,000 feet higher than the previous record of 20,019 feet. The feat was filmed for Discovery Channel worldwide as well as Channel 4 in the UK.

While Grylls initially planned to cross over Everest itself, the permit was only to fly to the south of Everest, and he did not traverse Everest out of risk of violating Chinese airspace.

Longest indoor freefall
Bear Grylls, along with the double amputee Al Hodgson and the Scotsman Freddy MacDonald, set a Guinness world record in 2008 for the longest continuous indoor freefall. The previous record was 1 hr 36 mins by a US team. Grylls, Hodgson, and MacDonald, using a vertical wind tunnel in Milton Keynes, broke the record by a few seconds. The attempt was in support of the charity Global Angels.

He also did this TV program ( love to see him tackle the real thing though, he had it easy on this)

Escape to the Legion
Grylls filmed a four-part TV show in 2005, called Escape to the Legion, which followed Grylls and eleven other UK 'recruits' as they took part in a shortened recreation of the French Foreign Legion's basic desert training in the Sahara. The show was broadcast in the UK on Channel 4,[25] and in the USA on the Military Channel.[26] travel channel, 2006-2007. In 2008, it was repeated in the UK on the History Channel

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Crossing the North Atlantic
Three years later, he led a team of five, including his childhood friend and Mount Everest climbing partner Mick Crosthwaite, on the first unassisted crossing of the north Atlantic Arctic Ocean, in an open rigid inflatable boat. Battling force 8 gale winds, hypothermia, icebergs and storms in an eleven-meter-long boat through some of the most treacherous stretches of water in the world including the Labrador Sea, the Denmark Strait, and the stretch made famous by The Perfect Storm, Bear and his team were just barely able to finish the journey from Halifax, Nova Scotia to John o' Groats, Scotland. He was awarded an Honorary commission in the Royal Navy as a Lieutenant-Commander for this feat.

"Facing the Frozen Ocean" is a good read if takes anyone's fancy.

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
Really? I'm suprised it's not on 4od, as when I had a born survivor urge (it's an embarrasing weakness I know ) it was on there. Saw it a year or so back too and it seems channel 4 show it periodically...So I'm sure it will pop up again soon.

Jonny

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I'm much more of a Ray Man than a Bear bloke and I love skitting his Born Survivor series, but I don't believe the series represents him. My missus got me his book detailing his ascent of Everest , to wind me up as much as anything. I read it andf was utterly inspired.

One thing summed it up, and I'm paraphrasing. Bear was asked subsequently what it was like to "conquer" Everest. He replied that he hadn't , that Everest had allowed him to crawl to the summit, remain for a very short time and crawl back without killing him. I think he's a lot more humble than we often give him credit for.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Bear is a decent bloke, he has done a lot for a lot of people, in fact he has done much more for people than Ray has( no offence to ray) I can't imagine Ray sitting at a table eating dinner at 25000 feet underneath a hot air balloon. Here are some of his feats.

Circumnavigation of the UK
In 2000, Grylls, lead the first team to circumnavigate the UK on a personal watercraft or jet ski, taking about 30 days, to raise money for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).
the facts are somewhat different to that reported by Wikapedia, BBQ grylls was not the leader on most of those media fuelled jaunts, in fact on two of them a chap called Neil Laughton was including the Jetski and the climbing of Everest. .

Long before Ray Mears was a TV person he was Ray Mears the adventure, and Ray Mears the teacher, unlike some people he walks the walk, just as well as he talks the talk. He learnt bushcraft the way we all hope to learn, by going out and doing it. Back in the 1990s he spent six months with his then girlfriend Ffyona Campbell walking into and through Zaire (to pick up the Landrover Ffyona Campbell had been forced to abandon at the border due to a major war going on at the time) and out of some of the harshest areas of Africa.
Ray could bore all of us with the things he really has done, but it would take a hell of a long time, I've listened to the chap for nearly three hours, and I know he didn't cover a quarter of the things he has done, in the 18 years that he's been making television programmes.

stevee

Apr 24, 2009
Kent
Does make me wonder how much knowledge BG really has, I bet he has a survival instructor in the background telling him what to do. All his programmes are setups for tv to show us what could happen and what to do in a survival situation. One example I noticed is in one of his programmes I think he was in Alaska and right at the end he found a boat upside down by the lake, he turned it over and the vegetation underneath was still fresh? Obviously he put the boat there!

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I don't care what kind of reaction I get, but I like Bear Grylls. I think his show is more for entertainment value than survival instruction. I also respect him as an adventurer, which I feel is a better term for him than TV show host, survival expert, or author. My kids love watching the show to see him abuse himself with the wierd stuff he eats. I also get good loving from the wife whenever she sees Bear strip down to jump into the water or what have you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE