A New Kind of Bushcraft Programme

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm currently spending a lot of time at home as I'm about to retire (woo-hoo!), move to Scotland (McWoo-hoo!), and start retraining with a degree that is utterly unrelated to anything I've done before. :red:

That's by-the-by, though. As I've been packing and cleaning, writing letters and lists, etc, I've been going through lots of bushcraft DVDs and videos. What strikes me is that, although there are unique aspects to each presenter and type of series, there is a hell of a lot of repetition.

There seems to be either the history-based stuff that's interesting but, other than a few generalised lessons, there's little practical skill to be learned. On the other hand is the pure, dry skills-related programme, which can sometimes feel like the 'Readers Digest Step-by-Step Guide To ...'.

Watching bow drilling for what seemed the 154th time ('...and when you see smoke, increase the pressure and effort until your heart fails...'), I got round to thinking about what I would really like to see in a series or one-off programmes.

So, here's my 'dream sheet' (TV execs, if you're listening....):

Personally, I'd like to see a skilled presenter working alongside a novice in a variety of UK-based locations (as most of us practice bushcraft in the UK). Examples:

Beach/Coast​
Marsh/Lake/River​
Deciduous (sp?) Woodland​
Suburban Garden (clever one, this - most of us do bushcraft in the garden. Know your audience, ladies and gentlemen. Know your audience.)​
Pine Forest​
Hill/Mountain​

You can see that there is progression from seaside to mountain. Clever, eh? :naughty:

The theme tune will not include violins, traditional instruments or folk tunes from around the world. In fact, as a British programme, I might indulge myself with something from the 'Wedding Present', circa 'Bizarro' era ... or, then again, perhaps no music as we just want to get on with the programme!

Each programme would start with an introduction to the local environment and any specific conditions for that area that would effect how bushcraft/survival is successfully achieved. The bottom line is that everything needs to be shown in the right context, with as little repetition between programmes as possible.

The skilled presenter would introduce a different kind of shelter, common and easily identifiable food sources (for different times of year), and bushcraft skills specific to that environment. The novice would learn, make common mistakes and these mistakes would be corrected, clearly and simply, by the presenter. :nutkick:

Whilst the novice is off making a nob of himself, the skilled presenter might introduce a less survival-orientated and more 'crafty' skill (weaving, cordage, clothing, completing a Short Tax Return, etc). There will be no - and I mean absolutely no - bl**dy spoon carving. That will be a legal requirement. :deal:

In order to seize the 18-34-year-old viewing demographic, there will be no more than 30 seconds of the presenter feeding the novice random bits of plant/insect/animal/litter/roadkill that he has found. There will be close ups of the novice pulling faces and saying things along the lines of ... oh, I dunno ... how about 'It tastes like snot'? The novice would then have to eat snot to confirm his original comment.

In the meantime, the skilled presenter will whip-up something from sorrel and twigs that Heston Blumenthal would be proud of. The novice won't be allowed any.:approve:

We'll cover hunting for they types of animal usually found in the UK (cows, pets, horses, pre-prepared microwave meals). This will include spending hours buiding a bear-sized pit trap, probably resulting in capture of a shrew. This will then be speared with a weapon made from a broom handle and large Rambo-style knife. The fight sequence will last about 45 seconds, and will include slow-motion high-definition parts - with dramatic music - where the novice gets injured.

Although the novice will need hospital treatment, the presenter will attempt to apply first aid using dock leaves, fungi, the power of positive thought or, perhaps, sarcasm.

[Note to self: may need more than one novice]

There will be a 3-minute segment where the novice asks a daft question, showing that he has done no research, really hasn't thought his question through, or used the 'Search' facility on a well-know bushcraft website. The question will be along the lines of 'Should I buy ventile underpants?', 'What colour hair is best for bushcraft?', and 'I got a plastic knife with my dinner on an aeroplane in-flight meal - is it any good for bushcraft and how do I sharpen it?'

The novice will then be flamed by a selection of bushcraft armchair experts. And deservedly so. :rant:

There will, of course, be the occasional but utterly obvious cases of product placement. No surreptitious, subtle stuff here. We're talking about proper 'Buy this, or you'll die' stuff. BCUK makers are encouraged to contact me with information on their products and a Paypal contribution (remember to mark as 'Gift').

One programme could be entirely dedicated to waiting for a small cup of water to boil over a home-made meths stove. The presenter would then encourage the novice to drink chemically-tainted pine needle tea :tongue-ti , while he tucks into a Starbucks grande skinny cappucino with hazelnut syrup and extra chocolate, made from his wood-powered expresso machine, the Bushbaristacon (see 'Product Placement' above).

Podcast Bob can do a programme on 'The Making Of...' but I want at least a fiver or some free kit from www.backpackinglight.co.uk. That's www.backpackinglight.co.uk (see above for 'Product Placement' issues)

Each programme would finish with a brief summary of what has been learnt and the key lessons. As the titles roll, the skilled presenter would be seen beating the novice with a hand-whittled baseball bat for daring to try and carve a bl**dy spoon!!! I said, no bl**dy spoons! <smack> :twak:

And the name of this groundbreaking, potentially award-winning programme?

I originally thought 'No Bl**dy Spoons!' but settled upon:

Mikey P's Guide to UK Bushcraft :D

So, what else do you want to see in my new show? Obviously, any good ideas you come up with will immediately become copyright to me although you may get an 'Executive Producer' credit if you're lucky.

PS - I won't say whether I'm the skilled presenter or novice dim-wit.

PPS - Tony, I will be requiring my own sub-forum, so if you could crack on with that and I promise to wear my BCUK badge in the programme.

PPPS - Remember, no bl**dy spoons! :twak: :twak: :twak:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Retirement can't come quick enough, huh ? :D

:lmao:

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. You forgot the golden opportunity to introduce the 'main man' (or woman, sorry Rhoda) from all the best of the bushcraft or survival schools in the UK demonstrating something incredibly practical and fascinating.
You could get Robin to do the spoon carving :evilgrin:
atb,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Five years three months to the big sixty and thats me done too, can't wait, well done you mate, enjoy life to the full.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well done Mikey - I've not laughed so much in ages!
Just what I needed after teaching bloody spoon carving to a group with ADHD(!) Lets see your bloody expert keep a cool, calm exterior then (novice may be in for a hard time!!!) - note to production company - defrost new novice!
N

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I think you're onto a winner there. :)

What I'd like to see, is some form of Castaway, without the 'challenges' (read a box of booty at the end of a rope at the end of a map), and without the Hello wannabees. A serious group of people trying to set up a self sufficient community, people who actually want to be there.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Guys,

You're right! We're missing something.....a phone-in-vote-thingy!:thinkerg:

At the moment, we're concentrating too much on intellectual pursuits like 'learning' and 'useful things'. We need to start dumbing things down to the level of BB, IACGMOOH, Strictly, Dancing on Ice, and all of the other lazy television programmes where the opinions and judgement of experts are overridden by people who know absolutely nothing about the subject in hand but think that someone 'has a nice smile'.

What we really need is to give the average uninformed public couch potato a way of influencing the programme. A phone in vote would be perfect. Obviously, there would need to be some small print (literally) along the lines of:

Premium rate phonelines are open between 1930 and 1931 hrs. Calls received outside this window will not count but will definitely be charged at whatever rate we can get away with. Any calls regarding spoon carving will be charged double rate. Calls from mobiles will cost £1 + some extortionate network amount multiplied by your telephone number. Make sure you get permission from whoever pays the phone bill. If you are stupid enough to let your children watch this stuff and then give them access to a phone, you deserve to be billed at a higher rate.

All we need now are suggestions as to what we can do for a competition. I reckon something along the lines of 'This Morning' or 'Loose Women' (you can tell I'm not working at the moment, can't you?), with their 'tricky' questions:

Ray Mears is a famous bushcraft television presenter. What is his name?

or

Bear Grylls is the new Chief Scout. What is your favourite colour?

or

Your kids are at school and there is a load of housework to be done. How much weight have you gained in the last half-hour sat on the sofa, watching QVC and this rubbish, drinking wine on your own and eating Aldi's own-brand crisps?

Dudes - we're there!!!

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Why not get various bushcraft and or explorer type peoples and put them in various locations each week...........trapping/hunting/fire lighting/shelter building etc.......basically the everyday needs, required to survive in the outdoors without any support......but!

They only get to take 3 items with them, however they can take anything they make or collect on to the next location............

I think we would then see who has the skills and knowledge and not just the patter......

Title................ I'm not a real bushcrafter, get me out of here!

Smoggy.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
And the uninformed public could vote on what items they're allowed! Genius!

This will mean that rather than knife/firesteel/billy and other sensible combinations, they would end up with iPhone, Christian D'Ior clothes and a ticket to see Michael Jackson at the O2!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE