Bear Grylls "Britain's Biggest Adventures". Mountain Rescue are not impressed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
I'm pretty sure that in this program Bear does remind the viewer of the dangers involved in the activitys he does.
Risk is severity of injury X likely hood of occurrence so following bear on your own without protection could result in a serious injury but when was the last time this happened? Not at all? Not very often? Therefore very low risk. Especially as most kids have good parents that keep an eye on them even in this day and age. Not much has changed there.
If folk are that conserved about what bear does then its seems pretty simile to me, pass SAS selection, climb the highest mountain in the world, get your own TV program and show the nation where he's going wrong. Easy?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have no respect for Everesters but Im a non mountaineering despicable mountain snob.

(Does that even make sense??)

And one of my Heroes is Maurice Wilson.

(Now you are going to have me down as a complete nutter.)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If folk are that conserved about what bear does then its seems pretty simile to me, pass SAS selection, climb the highest mountain in the world, get your own TV program and show the nation where he's going wrong. Easy?

Firstly Bear didn't pass SAS selection, he didn't climb the highest mountain in the world and getting on your own telly programme? I'm not sure that is an achievement in this day and age, but thats another discussion entirely.

I couldn't care less if Bear had swum the Atlantic ocean with one hand tied behind his back or given mouth to mouth resuscitation to a camel with asthma... he has a responsibility in his role and he's done a *&^% poor job of showing his 'fans' how to go into a cave safely, let alone climb up a gorge.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don' know if you remember the previous incumbent of Chief Scout? He made all sorts of inspirational programs like Duncan Dares. Daring stuff but keeping himself and those watching safe. Also used to take his family on a lot of trips giving his kids a great start.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes. Never drank his urine once.

He didn't, along with John Noakes the Auntie Beeb had a sense of decorum. :D
Both of them did all sorts of daring stuff yet never endangered folk. Lot of respect for those two.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm sorry, but no-one should be in a cave at all for any purpose - it is clearly dangerous and every cave expedition puts the safety services at risk. And shame on the poster who went into a cave without adequate scuba-diving equipment or proper ropes - totally irresponsible of you. Do you know how many people have died by going into caves? And fancy thinking a safety helmet will protect you from a rock-fall. 20 tons of rock isn't going to be stopped by a bit of plastic.

And who on earth allows people to play with ultra-sharp knives and axes? The death and injury rate is appalling. And even if they survive, it puts unnecessary pressure on the NHS treating these self-inflicted injuries. Same goes for all sports - go into an A&E on a Saturday afternoon and you'll be surrounded by pathetic loons in rugby and football gear. They should all be banned.

Going back to the scuba-diving gear. Any idea how much a pressure chamber costs to make and run? Not to mention the costs of running air ambulances to get the diver suffering from bends to it? Or the death rates for scuba divers? Think of the suffering to their families. Yet not only does the British SubAqua Club support this deadly sport, but to get diving qualifications they insist on divers deliberately going into dangerous situations - low-vis, wreck dives etc.

And don't get m started on hikers and mountain climbers...............

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
ps. For those that don't understand irony.........I've played contact sports all my life and visited my fair share of A&Es as a result. I've also held a BSAC Sports Diver qualification, have been into caves a few times, sailed offshore in small boats and done my fair share of hiking and playing with sharp objects. I also ride motorbikes and have visited some decidedly scary places, both urban and pastoral.

But I'm sorry, I have little time for the safety Nazis, or those who tell me I can't watch TV entertainment because there are those who think it depicts real life. Just because kids throw themselves off roofs thinking they can fly like Superman or Thor doesn't mean that banning programmes on TV or the cinema is a good thing.

And worst of all, those who enjoy "dangerous" activities should be the last people to start criticising certain elements of such activities, because you have to be awfully naïve not to expect the baby not to be thrown out with the bathwater.......

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
But I'm sorry, I have little time for the safety Nazis, or those who tell me I can't watch TV entertainment because there are those who think it depicts real life. Just because kids throw themselves off roofs thinking they can fly like Superman or Thor doesn't mean that banning programmes on TV or the cinema is a good thing.

I largely agree with you, but it is all about context... you're not the Chief Scout. In fact, over 7.3 billion people on the planet are not the Chief Scout. So if an individual wants to fall from a tall building or roll a brand new car, or even be the unknown stunt man that makes Redford such a star, that is entirely up to them. They're not acting in the roll of Chief Scout.

Glad you brought up scuba diving though, because you can sure as eggs are eggs that if Bear chooses to do some underwater filming, he'll wear breathing apparatus. If he climbs a mountain, he's going to wear more than a denim jacket and presumably if he jumps from an aeroplane, he's going to wear a parachute.

Hopefully if anything does happen to Bear or one of his guests he won't be a man barely alive. It'd be good if they could rebuild him should anything happen, if they have the right technology. Then perhaps he can come back to the television better than he was. Better, faster, stronger.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've got to agree with Andy the whole 'think of the children' response simply enforces the excuse that adults don't have a duty to care,edjucate and supervise their own children. Which is a major issue with this country...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've got to agree with Andy the whole 'think of the children' response simply enforces the excuse that adults don't have a duty to care,edjucate and supervise their own children. Which is a major issue with this country...

Yes, of course, it isn't the influence of a TV personality at all, its the parents damn it. Those uncaring individuals who virtually ignore their off spring, letting them run wild and knowingly not giving their children safety information about everything they may possibly encounter. I bet they're down the pub right now with the safety Nazis, blissfully unaware they should be collecting their children from school in half an hour.

Problem with that argument is that part of parenting is allowing your children to go off on adventures with their school, with specific groups set up to encourage kids to explore the outdoors... groups like the Scouts. Nobody is watching 24/7 and it is incredibly naive to expect that your child will be monitored every moment, but you're also no allowing for intelligence levels. Some kids are not the brightest, some will copy what they've seen and some won't even need to have seen something to copy, they'll just go ahead and do it. They can say they're off for a wee and whilst in the bushes see a cave opening... as long as they have a torch and they jump on in their like their on a film set, what could possibly go wrong?!

My point is how difficult would it have been for Bear to strap a helmet on like everyone else in that cave? Perhaps mention that if you're going to go into a cave without the proper clothes on, make sure you have a change of clothes when you come out? It would have taken seconds for him to set a good example.

But then it's all the parents fault, I was forgetting. Here is a good example of those irresponsible parents not executing their duty of care, educating or supervising their child...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jan/13/childprotection.schooltrips

I hope they hang their heads in shame... when they get over the horror and grief of losing their ten year old boy of course!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Going into a cave when there is rising water is idiotic. It is like driving a car the wrong way down a motorway. There is absolutely no sense in it.

Not using a head torch? That's bloody stupid as well. Cavers and miners have been using head torches since before the discovery of electricity.

Grills is just a prat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
He didn't need a head torch, he had a hole camera crew with flood lights down there, probably a catering truck too! I expect it was edited for dramatic effect, they were more than likely there for a dozen takes before the waters depth increased by a millimetre lol

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE