Bear Grylls "Britain's Biggest Adventures". Mountain Rescue are not impressed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I actually admire the guy for his family values. Everything he does is supposed to be for tv entertainment.

It will be another Steve Irwin situation where he is slated by everyone for doing stupid things then when he dies it will be a tragedy and a loss of a great person.

Im sure if anyone ended up in a survival situation with Bear they wouldnt be slating him then?

He would probably have caused the situation to become a "Survival Situation" from his idiot behavior!

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I actually admire the guy for his family values. Everything he does is supposed to be for tv entertainment.

It will be another Steve Irwin situation where he is slated by everyone for doing stupid things then when he dies it will be a tragedy and a loss of a great person.

Im sure if anyone ended up in a survival situation with Bear they wouldnt be slating him then?
Family Values????

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Family Values????

1. Teaching your children independence by going off and doing your best to get yourself killed.
2. Teaching Adults to take a keen interest in what their children are watching in case they get themselves killed copying some lunatic on TV.

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
Are we not a little too safety conscious these days???

I must admit, I watched his it and thought you would never get me down there in that cave! And I watch most of his programs thinking the same, there a lot of survival programs on TV that show people to going out with little or no kit, it doesn't mean we should all copy them like lemmings. If I did I would be walking round the woods in my birthday suit drinking unsafe water every weekend!

It seems like the British public is never happier than when we are complaining, all of his programs show him doing dangerous stuff but it doesn't mean everyone is going to go out and do the same.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
There is being too safety conscious and there's being a numpty in a cave... not a chance you'd get me in that cave without a helmet. You don't have to fall to crack your head in there, but it is so easy to fall you'd have to be daft to go in there without some sort of head protection.

My favourite bit from the letter that the Cave Rescue Organisation wrote is just before the letter begins they write.. "Remember that not everyone has the ‘experience’ of Mr Grylls to judge what is and is not safe in a wild environment."

They have valid points because time and time again people do enter caves without being prepared and they do die. You could argue this is natural selection... but when it comes to kids, they could view Bear as a hero and follow what he's done, not realising that he had a nice warm camper to return to when he'd done filming, so his risk of hypothermia was close to zero. Stuck out on the dales wearing those clothes after being drenched in a cave... wouldn't fancy my chances.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
"Just goes to show that it's not what you do but which corrupt politician you are descended from that matters in this world."

Can you back your statements up with evidence? Mr.Wayland?

I watched the show, he was in there with a Yorkshire caving team. Who are professionals and know the caves well.

Most have forgot to mention that.

Oh well, can't beat a bit of bear bashing.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
As long as that caving team were happy and were consenting to risk their own safety rescuing him if things went wrong, I guess that's fine, what with them being adults experienced in caving. Personally I wouldn't want to put anyone in that position, amateur / professional, child or consenting adult

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I watched the show, he was in there with a Yorkshire caving team. Who are professionals and know the caves well.

Most have forgot to mention that.

Oh well, can't beat a bit of bear bashing.

Might be worth mentioning that the professionals were wearing the right clothes and more importantly helmets... but Bear needs no helmet and can do it in regular walking clothes for... reasons?

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
As a physiotherapist I've seen the results of far too many people, young and old, being 'adventurous', especially children and teenagers without protective gear, copying stunts they have seen on social media and the likes of YouTube, let alone mainstream TV. I didn't enjoy seeing their parents and relatives distraught, witnessing the pain of the patient as they had months of rehab, or cleaning the tracheotomy tube they were having to breath through. Perhaps Mr Grylls should consider 'family values' as not risking his family, or anybody elses for that matter ofcoming to see him in ICU in an

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, yes, we should all stay at home in bed.

Kids I have talked to about Mr Grylls love him, but they do seem to understand they should not take him too seriously.

People do get hurt and die in the wilderness, but often they are idiots who have no common sense. Such folk are often not imaginative enough to be influenced by TV.

I must admit, I watched his it and thought you would never get me down there in that cave! And I watch most of his programs thinking the same, there a lot of survival programs on TV that show people to going out with little or no kit, it doesn't mean we should all copy them like lemmings. If I did I would be walking round the woods in my birthday suit drinking unsafe water every weekend!

Like Bruce Parry or Joe Public of the Uncontacted Tribe fraternity??

Anyhow, My cousin died in the Cairngorms in the early 90s...He died not because he was an idiot, but because he was an experienced mountaineer who could go out in the middle of winter. Where does this debate leave him?

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
It has nothing to do with 'staying in bed' : endangering just yourself when outdoors with a clear understanding of the risks involved is personal choice nd having an unforseen accident because of changing circumstance or tragic oversight

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Can and does happen every day. We learn from their tragic accidents and recalibrate our understanding of risk from them. People who are role models and 'leaders' for the young future enthusiasts that have not yet got the maturity, developed the skills or had the experiences yet, to interpret for them and educate them in the safest ways of enjoying these pursuits, at least until they can make their own informed decisions on what risks they are willing to take for themselves. It's the fundamental reason why I belong to this forum, despite having worked in dangerous industries and being brought up in the countryside, I understand that there are risks to Bushcraft that I can't possibly know anything about yet. Thankfully, due to people who I can nowadays judge to take their responsibilities seriously, I'm learning, be it through the words of John Fenna, Ray Mears or others. Unfortunately it will not be Mr Grylls.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes it is. I looked up to my cousin and was angry with him for no longer being around to take me out. I held it against him for years...Im more forgiving these days.

Ive just come back from the IOM...Every race season there will be fatalities; many regular folk other than trained and experienced racers...Hey ho.

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
I think you are really underestimating young people, my kids (6&12) often play "Bear Grylls" they jump around, run around, climb trees, slide down hills and jump big puddles or gaps. All the things I used to do when I was a kid, it fact living on a farm I did a hell of a lot worse! We take calculated risks every day, riding my bike to work is more dangerous than anything I have in the hills.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think you are really underestimating young people, my kids (6&12) often play "Bear Grylls" they jump around, run around, climb trees, slide down hills and jump big puddles or gaps. All the things I used to do when I was a kid, it fact living on a farm I did a hell of a lot worse! We take calculated risks every day, riding my bike to work is more dangerous than anything I have in the hills.

Yeah - I acted the giddy goat as a child too but the difference was that Adults looked out for us and warned us if we were going to far ... they did not egg us on to more dangerous foolishness!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Add to the giddiness of being a kid, there are a lot of kids who want to out do their friends on social media... so now the kid is in a cave without the proper gear and trying to film it so his internet friends get a laugh.

Doesn't matter how you cut it, the whole reason Bear Grylls is involved with the scouts is to inspire the young to be more adventurous but he's ignored the first rule of the scouts... Be prepared!

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
There was adult telling me to stop doing anything when I climbed the barn walls or fell out of a tree trying to get higher than my mate. I don't condone bear not wearing a helmet at all, there's no point in taking risks for the sake of it, oh wait, that's what all his programs are about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE