Bear Grylls "Britain's Biggest Adventures". Mountain Rescue are not impressed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's entertainment.

It isn't actually supposed to mean anything.

Unfortunately the people being entertained generally don't know that, which is one reason it's so stupid.

I still haven't forgiven the cretin for playing tennis with living bats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I noted him crawling alone a narrow passage, a passage so narrow that the Camera man to his immediate right managed to film the whole time. yeah, whatever Bear.

Only one narrow passage that feller ought to crawl up, in my view!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
So, watched it... aside from him generally being a prat and running round like he's on the set of GI Joe, I understand completely why there have been complaints.

Notice he is in the caves ill-equipped... no helmet for big bad Bear... hand-held torch... and thats before you get into entering a cave system like that when the water is obviously coming in at a rate.

Only been trapped once whilst caving and it was due to poor equipment. We'd been lowered into a bell cave, two of us... realised the rope wasn't up to speed, so rashly the guys at the top cut the rope thinking they had a replacement. They didn't, it was nowhere near long enough. To make matters worse it started raining heavily in the time it took the guys to drive back, get a rope long enough and get back. My mate and I sat tight, water rising slowly until they got back... up and out, didn't go caving again for months.

So Mr Bear doing his thing, all very well... but he should have at the very least been wearing a helmet, not only when in the cave system, but also when he was gorge walking.

The man is a 110% prat, won't take another word he says seriously (although admittedly I was already over that side of the fence after seeing him jump blind into a rock pool on another programme)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Why are you watching such utter poodoo?

(Slopes off to watch every Giant Robot Anime in Existence...)

Anyhow, on a slightly more serious note; what do the Scouts think of this?

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Ok, its supposed to be entertainment (definitely not my idea of it, but each to their own), fair enough, in today's age of vapid, puerile nonsense its certainly not the worst being produced and broadcast. But if this is how the figurehead of the British Scout movement really wants to portray himself, "inspiring leadership" in the 500,000+ young impressionable people belonging to it, then my personal concern and near despair for the young of today is well justified.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... on a slightly more serious note; what do the Scouts think of this?

It makes a lot of money for them when a TV star turns up for the jamboree in his helicopter. They literally can't find enough room for the crowds.

If you write to them to suggest they could find a better role model (as I did after his bat-battering exercise) they just ignore you.

The fact that he's an accident desperately seeking somewhere to happen doesn't seem to have dawned on them.

I wonder if they could offer the recently-unemployed boss of a large motor vehicle manufacturer a job as their chief executive? :evilangel:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
It makes a lot of money for them when a TV star turns up for the jamboree in his helicopter. They literally can't find enough room for the crowds.

If you write to them to suggest they could find a better role model (as I did after his bat-battering exercise) they just ignore you.

The fact that he's an accident desperately seeking somewhere to happen doesn't seem to have dawned on them.

I wonder if they could offer the recently-unemployed boss of a large motor vehicle manufacturer a job as their chief executive? :evilangel:

lol good points... they ignore because his exploits lead him to be high profile, but personally I think a more suitable role model would be our own John Fenna. Good, honest approach to the outdoors by someone who genuinely cares... scouts could learn a lot more from a day with him than a week with Bear.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's entertainment.

It isn't actually supposed to mean anything.

Unfortunately the people being entertained generally don't know that, which is one reason it's so f#####g stupid.

I still haven't fogiven the cretin for playing tennis with living bats.

Ditto

Bear doesn't need a Helmet. There's nothing in that cranium that needs protection.

Got that right.

The saddest thing of all is that this is apparently the best primate that the scouts could find to represent them.

Just goes to show that it's not what you do but which corrupt politician you are descended from that matters in this world.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
In spite of an unsatisfactory experience with them I like to think the Scouting and Guiding Movement are people I can trust.

Or am I just being an idealist?

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Rest assured that all adventurous activities within Scouting are done to fairly strict permit requirements and appropriate safety equipment is used and the leader in charge will hold the appropriate permit.

Bear Gryls takes the time to see the kids on the ground and they love him. I look at his program's and take them for what they are TV entertainment.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The problem is the example he sets. His connection to scouting lends him even more apparent "legitimacy".

Many people out there do not have the common sense required to see that television is not the real world.

I am sure his foolish and dangerous antics will be copied and someone may pay a heavy price as a result.

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've recently started helping at the local cubs [the current leaders are all leaving so new blood needs to come in to keep it going], my kids are in the cubs / scouts system. I have been connected with them for a number of years and I don't think I remember Bear being mentioned in general conversation among the beavers / cubs / scouts etc. I think not many people pay attention to him up here...

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I actually admire the guy for his family values. Everything he does is supposed to be for tv entertainment.

It will be another Steve Irwin situation where he is slated by everyone for doing stupid things then when he dies it will be a tragedy and a loss of a great person.

Im sure if anyone ended up in a survival situation with Bear they wouldnt be slating him then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE