Bear Grylis Fired by Discovery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Just another victim of the economic downturn I'm afraid. That's going to be an interesting interview at the job centre. What skills do you have...

It would be nice to see a less hyped Bear doing something for the uk audience. But I wish him well in his next big thing.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
It could possibly be the best thing that has happened to him. He may land on his feet and end up making shows that are more as he would have hoped for and i for one wish him all the best in whatever he decides to do next.

Yes people dislike him for his shows but he has created a high profile fr himself and surly that cant be a bad thing bringing a high profile to the scouting movment. To the haters 'dont knock who you dont know'

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - if he got fired because he refused to do any more of the faked up , lying , cheating, sensationalist, dangerous BS that characterised his main TV output - then fair go Mate! It gives me a bit of respect for the man!
I hope he can now make the kind of progs that inform and instruct - and that he has even more time to promote the Scouts:)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I really cant believe some of what Im reading!!! Totally agree his programmes do get a bit same old same old, but he has also doen some very good programmes!!
The series about the french legion were very good!!
And I challenge all of you to say you have learnt or at least sat up and took note of something he has done on 1 of his programmes that may help you in the future!!!
As for the scouts, he has been excellent!! Volunteering his spare time to try and make a difference!! Whats wrong with that?
At the end of the day you have to take his programmes for what they are, ENTERTAINMENT!!!
I genuinely wish him all the best for the future for him and his family, and hope he has ended up a very rich, self made, man for all his exploits accross the world!!!
He is young, british, self made, done his turn for our forces, and worshipped all over the world, we should be proud of him of not knocking him!!
All the best
Steve

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
from what I know he's a nice guy, I know some people that know him quite well and they like him, based on that I like him, he's never done anything to me and I hope that wherever he got in life is good for him and his family. Lots of opportunities will probably come his way and I hope that it's good.

I don't care why they've parted ways, or how much he's worth, I view some of his tv stuff as entertaining and I'd love to be as fit and pro active as him. I'm sure that we will see more of him and he'll be on our tv's in the future.

Let's not have the thread degrade into a Bear hunt....

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
His programs weren't my cup of tea but i know they've inspired a lot of young kids to get outside away from their tv's, etc. and that ain't a bad thing.
The great thing about TV is you can change channel and watch something else or turn the damn thing off... There's no point in complaining about stuff that isn't marketed for you, life's too short!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
TV? - oh yeah... that box in the corner....
Purely reserved for stuff tht is worth watching on the 2 nights a week that I am at home ... and DVDs and Videos (yup I still watch those!).
The rest of the time I am out "DOING" not "WATCHING" :)
Let us hope that Bear now does stuff that is worth watching - he has the talent to do it, lets hope he has a new production co. that lets him do it.
I do not have Sky so I have never watched Discovery ... life is rather short for that ... and sometimes my confuser lets me watch interesting "U-bend" clips of stuff that has been on it and folk recommend....

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I can see what his appeal is because of his series on Sky, My youngest lad and his mates love him, He's a bit too fast paced and extremely gung ho for me though, I know it was the way the people at The Discovery Channel wanted him to come across as,........ and it worked.

I'm more of your "Meandering along like a river' type person enjoying my surroundings and the wildlife, But that might just be my age showing:D.

It would be nice to see him do a series for all to watch on terrestrial t.v. for the beeb or i.t.v. More on the lines of what R.M. Does or Les Hiddins, Hopefully.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Good, he didn't teach you anything useful....

Well, if his programs only did this:
His programs weren't my cup of tea but i know they've inspired a lot of young kids to get outside away from their tv's, etc. and that ain't a bad thing.
The great thing about TV is you can change channel and watch something else or turn the damn thing off... There's no point in complaining about stuff that isn't marketed for you, life's too short!

Then I personally find that useful! Will be interesting to see what happens next...

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
This could be a great opportunity for him to do something different.

Lest we forget, Uncle Ray bailed out from the BBC because he wanted to go back to his first love, which is wildlife, and they wanted to keep with the survival stuff.

Good luck to him.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
I really cant believe some of what Im reading!!! Totally agree his programmes do get a bit same old same old, but he has also doen some very good programmes!!
And I challenge all of you to say you have learnt or at least sat up and took note of something he has done on 1 of his programmes that may help you in the future!!!
As for the scouts, he has been excellent!! Volunteering his spare time to try and make a difference!! Whats wrong with that?
At the end of the day you have to take his programmes for what they are, ENTERTAINMENT!!!
I genuinely wish him all the best for the future for him and his family, and hope he has ended up a very rich, self made, man for all his exploits accross the world!!!
He is young, british, self made, done his turn for our forces, and worshipped all over the world, we should be proud of him of not knocking him!!
All the best
Steve

+1 on that.

Blackberry

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Cardiff
I'll tell you where he'll end up....on the end of my right hook.

Very mature. GBH or assault really does solve problems.

Think Bear is a smart guy, he has an obvious love for the outdoors and he's making money for doing what he enjoys, who wouldnt? I believe he is a little over the top but if it gets the views he will do it.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
All the best
Steve

well said that man ive always thought he seemed a good bloke and if hes making a stand and not doing something against his princeples good on him.as for people knocking him for his scouts role i think hes a great role model.

cheers andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE