Bear Grylis Fired by Discovery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mang

Settler
I'm still chuffed he's Chief Scout and indeed my first thought was that he has a chance to move on with his programme content (I asked him pretty much this question in Bushcraft and Survival Skills magazine's Q & A about making a skills based programme to which he basically said 'Great but I'm not the boss'). Not sure what to make of this Bear Tweet however...Thanks guys. But don't worry...I'll be drinking my pee again soon!

Flasheart

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 19, 2008
Staffordshire
The guy has to make money and I hope he finds his dream job. Doubt he really needs to work again though as he must be minted from all,the crag hoppers, books, gerber deals etc etc

I think some of the bad press possibly came about from his "stretching the truth" about his "military" career.....no one likes an imposter.

In all I think he did some of that "gilding the Lilly" to get known, publicity and then he started to settle down into a less sensationalist seeking role.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think some of the bad press possibly came about from his "stretching the truth" about his "military" career.....no one likes an imposter.

As far as I'm aware he has never embellished the truth regarding his Reserve function. Can you point me to any reference to where he actually did this?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Be good to see him do a better programme.
Just think what's been done on that born survivor series is nonsense.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Christ on a bike - how has a simple piece of factual news, which should really have warranted little more than the original post, become 40+ posts and two pages of replies?

As a species we really need to get a grip don't we? There are far more interesting and important threads available on this esteemed forum including, but not restricted to:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87945
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88001
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87998
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88011

Is it so difficult to leave the hero worship/hatred at the login prompt?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Christ on a bike - how has a simple piece of factual news, which should really have warranted little more than the original post, become 40+ posts and two pages of replies?

As a species we really need to get a grip don't we? There are far more interesting and important threads available on this esteemed forum including, but not restricted to:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87945
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88001
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87998
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88011

Is it so difficult to leave the hero worship/hatred at the login prompt?

If we didn't have diversity and different topics without replies, what's the point of a discussion forum? We might just as well have a bushcraft daily news if you can't reply to threads. As a species there are far more important things than a bushcraft forum anyway, but we are here because it's fun, it's not important. I'm pretty sure that everyone replying on this thread will also look and reply on other threads too.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
If we didn't have diversity and different topics without replies, what's the point of a discussion forum? We might just as well have a bushcraft daily news if you can't reply to threads. As a species there are far more important things than a bushcraft forum anyway, but we are here because it's fun, it's not important. I'm pretty sure that everyone replying on this thread will also look and reply on other threads too.

Signal to noise ratio Jon... in the same way that we all know that Eastenders and Strictly command far more ratings than Countryfile or Springwatch, bearing in mind the forum to which we contribute, I remain surprised that so many replies focus around such a tabloid or soap-operatic thread as this. Do you seriously not?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Signal to noise ratio Jon... in the same way that we all know that Eastenders and Strictly command far more ratings than Countryfile or Springwatch, bearing in mind the forum to which we contribute, I remain surprised that so many replies focus around such a tabloid or soap-operatic thread as this. Do you seriously not?

Not really no. Bushcraft has very little media coverage on TV, and only a handful of bushcrafty type representatives. As TV is the main media for entertainment and relaxation when back at home after a hard days work, then it becomes interesting. I'm a big fan of Rays, not so much Bear, but my main TV love is wildlife documentaries as bushcraft is a means to an end in getting me closer to wildlife. As such, I favour wildlife presenters like Steve Backshall, DA, Nigel Marvin etc etc. I like these people for their work, but they gain my respect when they back that public front with private interest and a personality that is worthy of praise.

Now love the Born Survivor series or hate it, Bear is just the presenter contracted to present it, and it may and indeed does, differ from his own views. Bear is also major force in the outdoors world and is genuinely a modest and oft shy character you would not expect in real life. He is a role model for kids and adults alike. I for one would back him on his endeavours away from the OTT documentaries he has been contracted to make, which are on a slightly different track to what he would actually like to make as his own programme. For that he has written books, and they are much different than you'd get from the Discovery canon. He recently started his own production company to make a more factual and representative show series in terms of outdoors living and refused to do more OTT programmes dictated to him by Discovery. That also is a major plus in my opinion. As a Brit adventurer in the spotlight worldwide, I think we should show interest. Even moreso as he is actually a very very nice person with a deep interest in getting outdoors at every opportunity and encouraging others to do likewise in this modern world when increasingly doing such a thing is becoming less popular.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Love him or loathe him, he has certainly sparked an interest in the outdoors among the younger generations. OK, the hyperactive, massively energised delivery may not necessarily appeal to the more sluggish amongst us but if it gets more young folk out there and doing, is that a bad thing?

I hope that his being shelved will give him a chance to reassess what he would like to do in/with the media. He's a highly marketable asset, so I'm sure his fallow period will not last long. I, for one, wish him well and look forward to seeing what he does next...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Not sure what to make of this Bear Tweet however...Thanks guys. But don't worry...I'll be drinking my pee again soon!

At the very least it calls his judgement into question. I'm sure Lofty Wiseman would have something to say about it.

... There are far more interesting and important threads available on this esteemed forum ...

As I see it, if we're talking about 'fan culture' there are two aspects to it. (1) Joining in and (2) looking at the damage that it does.

It's probably obvious that I'm not a fan but when I see talk about people drinking their own urine on prime time TV I wonder what the bloody hell is going on. Not having had a TV for forty years or so means that unfortunately there's only one case where I can comment from personal experience, which leads me to

... He is a role model for kids and adults alike ...

I saw the guy quite clearly having a good time playing tennis with bats. Role model? If it were within my power I'd string him up in public for that.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
I really cant believe some of what Im reading!!! Totally agree his programmes do get a bit same old same old, but he has also doen some very good programmes!!
The series about the french legion were very good!!
And I challenge all of you to say you have learnt or at least sat up and took note of something he has done on 1 of his programmes that may help you in the future!!!
As for the scouts, he has been excellent!! Volunteering his spare time to try and make a difference!! Whats wrong with that?
At the end of the day you have to take his programmes for what they are, ENTERTAINMENT!!!
I genuinely wish him all the best for the future for him and his family, and hope he has ended up a very rich, self made, man for all his exploits accross the world!!!
He is young, british, self made, done his turn for our forces, and worshipped all over the world, we should be proud of him of not knocking him!!
All the best
Steve

Well said mate. Im fed up with the Bear bashing too! All the best Bear!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I rather think he set himself up for his bashing, and while subsequent actions have greatly enhanced his reputation, "You can't talk yourself out of consequences you behaved yourself into", in the first place.

I am minded too of "A man among boys, but a boy among men."

Thankfully, we all grow up :D

The bat abuse was dire though :( Did he ever apologise for that? explain ? express remorse ? or just shrug and say it made 'good' tv :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Not sure what to make of this Bear Tweet however...Thanks guys. But don't worry...I'll be drinking my pee again soon!

I know exactly what that means. It stems from an internet meme about Bear in which he's captioned in various places with the "Better drink my own p***" tagline. Bear actually caught wind of this and took it all in good humour and even parodied it himself and did an interview.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I rather think he set himself up for his bashing, and while subsequent actions have greatly enhanced his reputation, "You can't talk yourself out of consequences you behaved yourself into", in the first place.

The bat abuse was dire though :( Did he ever apologise for that? explain ? express remorse ? or just shrug and say it made 'good' tv :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

That quote sums him up quite well Mary. There was something childlike and naive about him in some ways, which is why he was signed into a contract with Discovery that gave him no control over the direction of his career with them. It's also to his merit that he has drawn the line and would not go into new projects with Discovery. It will be interesting to find out what these projects were and why he deemed them unsuitable.

As for the bat thing, quite a stir was caused with THAT thread I started on here and the ones on the bat forums. This led to the footage on that programme being cut and a disclaimer added that pointed out the illegality of killing bats in other countries. I brought the subject up of that incident myself, and although I can't remember the exact reply, he was actually quite disgusted by the filming itself and explained that his reaction was driven by fear and hate more than anything near fun as he has a deep phobia of bats and is terrified of going into caves with them flying about. I have to admit, I found myself in a similar situation in my teens when I was living in Kenya. I went into an old well (chimneying down) to see the bats that lived down there. Half way down I found a colony of whip scorpions as big as dinner plates that skittled around and towards me. I was so freaked out that I killed most in a frenzy of fear. It took me an age to control that fear and get back out. Nowadays, I wouldn't dream of harming anything like that, and although they still freak me out when they come at me at speed, I have no fear of them anymore.

image012.jpg

Whip%20spiders.htm

Last edited:

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I like Bear (are leader "in scouts") i hope he goes on to make other stuff and we still get to see his explotes, any knowledge even if it is transmitted across as macho B/S as some would say is good knowledge.
You rock BEAR-- WHOOP WHOOP LOL

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

cheers,
Toddy
Good points Mary!
I think everyone makes a total prat of themselves at least once in their lives.
Some do it on TV and it takes a long time to live it down.
Sensible behaviour as a "growed up" helps - but our childish indiscretions can haunt us for life ....
I still do not want to watch BGs progs though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE