Bear Grylis Fired by Discovery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
What I do no now after reading all of these posts in favour of Bear and not in favour of him, we have officially found the human form of Marmite!!! lol

Cheers
Steve

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I find the "holier than thou" attitudes towards Bear rather funny! OK, I can understand some not getting the fact that TV is predominantly entertainment, and expect it all to be educational - clearly the commercial realities of life pass some by:) I also understand that some don't get the drive that some have towards adrenaline sports and activities, and would prefer all outdoor activities to be more reflective than exciting. Clearly Bear is an adrenaline junky - very experienced mountaineer, parachutist, powered balloonist, record-breaker, special forces (territorial army or not), tends to indicate that. Is that actually such a bad thing? Yet to listen to some on here excoriating him for spending a night in a motel rather than hanging by his ears from a precipice is kinda weird:)

But maybe - just maybe - there is a case here for "let those without sin cast the first stone"! If you have put similar time, energy and cash into getting kids involved in the outdoor as Bear has, then fire away with the criticism. If not, you might want to reflect on why you're having a go at him?

Oh, (and I don't expect women to understand the next bit:) ) show me a man who has "grown up", and I'll show you someone just hanging around, waiting for the Grim Reaper............

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
But maybe - just maybe - there is a case here for "let those without sin cast the first stone"! If you have put similar time, energy and cash into getting kids involved in the outdoor as Bear has, then fire away with the criticism. If not, you might want to reflect on why you're having a go at him?
Gizza bunch of rocks then!
My career from age 18 has been in outdoor education getting kids into the Outdoors... I think that that is longer the BG has strolled around without a nappy ... 15 years a Scout Leader (never mind the time spent as a civvy instructor for them) ... I am still working for charities/schools/care organisations getting the young and not so young into the outdoors.
But I have yet to claim to be sleeping inside a dead animal when safely in a Motel.... :)
Go on - giz some rocks :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Eh? No there's not... that's like saying only people with enormous breast implants have the right to comment about Jordan's lifestyle. If he puts himself in the public eye in order to make a living then the whole public, regardless of merit or acheivement, has the perfect right to praise or lambast at will. Why? Because they pay his wages either through their licence fee, their Sky subs or just by watching the adverts in between urine sampling and biting the heads off fish.

It's called taking the celebrity rough with the celebrity smooth - the smooth being the luxury hotels, visiting places around the World most of us 'ordinary people' can only dream of visiting and being asked to be chief scout. The rough being, Studly McHalfwit saying things in public like "I can't stand that Grillis Bears bloke - who does he think he is, I'd chin him if I ever met him."

At the end of the day... he's just a bloke. In another 50 or 60 years chances are good he'll have rotted or burned, same as the rest of us, even St. Ray.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The bottom line on how I see threads like this is that the rules ay we're not to slander people and some of the comments have been very close, also comments about hitting people and the like are completely inappropriate and we will act against those that carry on contributing in such a fashion.

There's really no need to get het up, it has very little impact on us, let's just keep things from being personal.

Last edited:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I find the "holier than thou" attitudes towards Bear rather funny! OK, I can understand some not getting the fact that TV is predominantly entertainment, and expect it all to be educational - clearly the commercial realities of life pass some by:) I also understand that some don't get the drive that some have towards adrenaline sports and activities, and would prefer all outdoor activities to be more reflective than exciting. Clearly Bear is an adrenaline junky - very experienced mountaineer, parachutist, powered balloonist, record-breaker, special forces (territorial army or not), tends to indicate that. Is that actually such a bad thing? Yet to listen to some on here excoriating him for spending a night in a motel rather than hanging by his ears from a precipice is kinda weird:)

Oh, (and I don't expect women to understand the next bit:) ) show me a man who has "grown up", and I'll show you someone just hanging around, waiting for the Grim Reaper............

Nicely said. I've more or less given up on contributing to BushcraftUK forum as there invariably seems to be a "Bear knocking" thread going on when I do look, sorry guys, nothing personal, but if you don't like the bloke surely it is easiest just to turn his tv programme off...:(

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Nicely said. I've more or less given up on contributing to BushcraftUK forum as there invariably seems to be a "Bear knocking" thread going on when I do look, sorry guys, nothing personal, but if you don't like the bloke surely it is easiest just to turn his tv programme off...:(

You haven't studied logic a great deal then?

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
As far as I'm aware he has never embellished the truth regarding his Reserve function. Can you point me to any reference to where he actually did this?

Id like to see that too if there is one! Oh and as for these TA guys, have a look at the numbers of TA fighting alongside regular troops at this time. Also the selection process is the same for SAS TA as the regs and I have nothing but great respect for all our armed forces, whether they be Regular, Reserve, TA, Male or Female, Present or Retired. God bless em all and thier families for thier service.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I think what makes some people so anti Gryls is that he comes across as a big phoney. A good example of this is his appearance on Desert Island Discs. I am prepared to accept his TV shows as a bit of harmless armchair nonsense (although it does little to promote the more positive aspects of Bushcraft and a general love of the great outdoors) but on DID every answer he gave involved him being 'a hair's breadth away from death' when quite evidently this sort of reckless behaviour would indeed end in an untimely death and he's still very much alive. It's as if he believes he's a one-man boy's own adventure generator and never switches off from projecting this image.

The impression I got was that he is shouting very loudly to prove himself to those around him that he's a success. Quieter, gentler adventurers like Bruce Parry and Uncle Ray project an inner calm and confidence which seems to me to project itself in their presentation.

Have a listen to the DID episode and see if you understand what I mean.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/fe7d4be9#b017lbdc

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hmmm. Reckless behaviour? True, you can break your back parachuting (oh, he did!). And have you any idea how many people die when they go for a walk in the outdoors? Ban it all, I say:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are two side to this Manacles; those who don't wholeheartedly endorse his antics get thoroughly fed up with the fanboys praising his 'superbness'.

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
A good example of this is his appearance on Desert Island Discs but on DID every answer he gave involved him being 'a hair's breadth away from death'

I disagree I listened to the program too ( twice :eek:) & it was Kirsty youngs sensationalist questions that obliged Bear to answer as he did......she obviously had a one track mind:D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think what makes some people so anti Gryls is that he comes across as a big phoney. A good example of this is his appearance on Desert Island Discs. I am prepared to accept his TV shows as a bit of harmless armchair nonsense (although it does little to promote the more positive aspects of Bushcraft and a general love of the great outdoors) but on DID every answer he gave involved him being 'a hair's breadth away from death' when quite evidently this sort of reckless behaviour would indeed end in an untimely death and he's still very much alive. It's as if he believes he's a one-man boy's own adventure generator and never switches off from projecting this image.

The impression I got was that he is shouting very loudly to prove himself to those around him that he's a success. Quieter, gentler adventurers like Bruce Parry and Uncle Ray project an inner calm and confidence which seems to me to project itself in their presentation.

Have a listen to the DID episode and see if you understand what I mean.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/fe7d4be9#b017lbdc

I disagree I listened to the program too ( twice :eek:) & it was Kirsty youngs sensationalist questions that obliged Bear to answer as he did......she obviously had a one track mind:D

I've just listened to it too. He was just answering the questions which were mostly "What's the most dangerous...", "What's the worst...", "Have you killed anyone", etc etc. She was asking him questions about himself, so it's hard for him not to recount moments of his life that stand out. Hardly shouting about how successful and great he was. Bit of melodrama and embellishment of the truth there darrenleroy. That's how internet myth and perpetuations of untruths start.

Flasheart

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 19, 2008
Staffordshire
Fact 1 "I was in the special forces" changed to "I've trained with the special forces" after a challenge from some guys at sterling lines. (original line quoted from first season of BS, second line from second season of BS.....check the box set if you don't believe it)

Fact 2 he was in the reserves......this is subtly different to the TA

Fact 3 the SAS(R) which he was on does not necessarily mean he passed the SAS selection. Not all posts within the SaS (R) require "selection"

I'm not hating but answering some queries raised above. As I said earlier, I do not blame the man for making money and supporting his family.

He seems to have calmed down somewhat, but ......aw hell I've bored myself.....

;-)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"

Reading between the lines of some of the Bear Grylls detractors I can detect a fair amount of jealousy.. " Blacktimberwolf

I don't; I do see a lot of irritation at the peculiar validation that 'celebritytis' somehow seems to give someone though.

I also see his fans attacking those who do not adulate the man, with belittleing snide remarks.

Long memories aren't erased by a subsequent outbreak of mature behaviour.

Toddy

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Im sure Mr. Grylls will find a new outlet for his particular brand of entertainment. Now I take my Bear well salted but to someone who perhaps will never learn *anything* about 'survival' other than his somewhat dubious advice, I would argue that person would be at greater risk by following some of Bears tips than just wandering if they found themselves lost and in a wilderness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE