Be careful!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I then asked the same question of him about blades and he then told me that the Leatherman was there for 'rescue' type jobs where they may need a multi-tool :rolleyes:

wasnt issued was it so the Police force dont consider it nessicery and theres lots better kit they could issue

and just in case i need it isnt a defence in LAW
we cant use it nore can they :pokenest:
if they need it it should be issued

ATB

Duncan

It boils down yet again that you have to have a good reason for possession
However the courts frequently get things wrong and misinterpretation of the law by naive Magistrates can lead to wrongful conviction.

This happened a year or so ago when chap was fined £3000 and threatened with prison by the judge for shooting a wood-pigeon in his own garden that was causing damage and mess
Totally incorrect conviction, but the guy had his air rifle destroyed and ended up with a criminal record.

Knowing the law will really help you if your collar gets felt.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
wasnt issued was it so the Police force dont consider it nessicery and theres lots better kit they could issue

and just in case i need it isnt a defence in LAW
we cant use it nore can they :pokenest:
if they need it it should be issued

ATB

Duncan

Absolute rubbish, they don't issue me underwear but I still wear it. I carry a Leatherman and use it very often it cuts seat belts mends cars etc etc, im afraid its also down to the Bobby you come across, if you have a good reason to have it then fight the case, remember that bobbies brought up in the city will quite often only see the offensive nature and the gang element of knives.

Absolute rubbish, they don't issue me underwear but I still wear it. I carry a Leatherman and use it very often it cuts seat belts mends cars etc etc, im afraid its also down to the Bobby you come across, if you have a good reason to have it then fight the case, remember that bobbies brought up in the city will quite often only see the offensive nature and the gang element of knives.

theres no law about having to have a good reason to have underwear ;)

and from a H&S point of view if you Bungle a rescue with a Non approved tool you and the force could be sued for it
as well as the correct training ands orms signed to say your qualifiyed to use it etc etc
Same as your only allowed to use Home office approved restrain techniques etc etc not jsut any old stuff you know works

ATB

Duncan

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Anyway, I asked a plod that I saw ... I went over to his Sergeant that was sat in their car outside and I told him how the PC spoke to me and he apologised and said that he would have a word with him as the lad was a probationer. I then asked the same question of him about blades and he then told me that the Leatherman was there for 'rescue' type jobs where they may need a multi-tool :rolleyes:
In many Police forces they officers aren't allowed to carry any form of knife unless specifically allowed to by Force policy. In one extreme case an officer was effectively drummed out of the Force after a doctor commented on him carrying a very small fixed blade.

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26578&view=findpost&p=431235

We're not the only ones hit by media frenzy and bull****!

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
theres no law about having to have a good reason to have underwear ;)

and from a H&S point of view if you Bungle a rescue with a Non approved tool you and the force could be sued for it
as well as the correct training ands orms signed to say your qualifiyed to use it etc etc
Same as your only allowed to use Home office approved restrain techniques etc etc not jsut any old stuff you know works

ATB

Duncan

Some vehicles have seatbelt cutter but more often than not they don't, I have never received instruction on how to cut a seat belt or use that tool, nor have I been shown how to use a brush but I still clean up after RTC's????

Restraint is another matter all together.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
In many Police forces they officers aren't allowed to carry any form of knife unless specifically allowed to by Force policy. In one extreme case an officer was effectively drummed out of the Force after a doctor commented on him carrying a very small fixed blade.

I think I should have reported him for carrying the multi-tool but that would make me a complete hypocrite as I carry a Leatherman in the car with the FAK, torch, water, etc!!

But if I had reported him, somehow I don't think he would have been 'drummed out' but I think my details would have been kept on an invisible list and I would have my life, erm, made difficult!

Police State or conspiracy theory:dunno: That's a bit too political for this forum :D

That and the same reasoning as butterfly knives, they became 'trendy' and a 'must have item' for gangs so they banned them.

:lmao: nope they are not banned or even mentioned in the laws its down to case law interpretation theay dont hold with in the exemption so need a specific reason to carry lawfully in public

Butterfy knifes are on the offencive weapons register and a completely differnt class of weapon

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2009
Dorset, UK
afraid even if this story isn't true, my mate is a law student who has just had to defend someone in almost the exact same position. Pulled over for suspected drunk driving, under the limit, but swiss army knife in the glovebox. the "just in case" or "I forgot it was in there" arguments don't work. The best defense is to claim you are transporting it from home to a friend. Unfortunately it comes down a bit to the officer's discretion, so just hope it isn't some jobsworthy who pulls you over.

afraid even if this story isn't true, my mate is a law student who has just had to defend someone in almost the exact same position. Pulled over for suspected drunk driving, under the limit, but swiss army knife in the glovebox. the "just in case" or "I forgot it was in there" arguments don't work. The best defense is to claim you are transporting it from home to a friend. Unfortunately it comes down a bit to the officer's discretion, so just hope it isn't some jobsworthy who pulls you over.

If its like the one in the photo ie a normal SAK then then is no need for a reason under S139 its exempt no argument required
The police have to prove something else for the higher offence that its an offencive weapon etc

ATB

Duncan

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Is it just me or what, but i dont see why you have to justify having a swiss army knife at all? if it's not illegal to buy,or own,it has under a 3 inch blade,and doesnt lock, its in your car glove compartment what the hell have you got to justify?These laws are brought in because a few inner city kids(mostly London) are stabbing each other, just how many middle aged caravaner's have gone on a knife weilding rampage with a sak in the last 100yrs? bl~~dy typical type law brought in to this country when they cant or wont address the ones actualy commiting the knife offences.

Frankly he deserves it for being such a mouse.

He may not have the money to defend himself, I have a pot of £100,000 that says that I did not do it.
As long as I stay within the law, I will never need it, but we must familiarize ourselves with what we can and can't carry with us.
Some people are convicted, even though they did not break the law. Simply could not or did not bother to defend themselves properly

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
The story is incomplete and normal media nonsense. Trying to argue the blokes guilt/innocence is impossible so there is no point. There is also no point in having kittens with your fellow forum members about this, as the argument is flawed due to inaccuracies in reporting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE