Be careful!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Have you seen the amount of cops that manage to kill themselves each year with firearms, unbelievable, yet they come around and give licensed firearms holders of 30 years or more experience, two a penny lectures on gun safety.

that would be one in the last ten years:rolleyes:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
It was a Buck Whittaker knife, rather than a Swiss SAK.

Not sure if that makes any difference, but I wonder whether it looked more "tactical" and therefore more likely to be viewed as an offensive weapon?

Not saying that's justified but combine that with (possibly) giving the Police some lip during the drink-drive stop might have prompted a harder approach from the rozzers.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It was a Buck Whittaker knife, rather than a Swiss SAK.

Not sure if that makes any difference, but I wonder whether it looked more "tactical" and therefore more likely to be viewed as an offensive weapon?

Not saying that's justified but combine that with (possibly) giving the Police some lip during the drink-drive stop might have prompted a harder approach from the rozzers.

And the fact that all the blades and "tools" lock

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Assuming there was tabloid exaggeration, I can't see a worst case scenario involving anything more than the the Police pulling him over for being drunk, him getting a bit arsey because he wasn't and them deciding to mess him around a bit. In the course of this they find a multi-tool/knife with either a locking blade, or a blade that's over the legal maximum length.

Even in this situation, and I can't see any way that the Police would have any lawful reason to search his vehicle anyway, the only two reasonable courses of action would be to inform the man about the laws on knives and, either confiscate the knife, or simply tell the gentleman to put the knife back in his glove compartment, take it home and put it in a drawer. Anything else just sounds like total bull**** and a total waste of time and public money, and also a deprivation of service to the public by pursuing a frivolous prosecution IMHO.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Police should not have guns, they should call in a section of the army.
Rank amateurs at best

I was two streets away from where Agnes Sina-Inakoju was shot to death last Wednesday and was impressed with the speed of the Metropolitan Police Armed Response Units which secured the area.

The military have no mandate or experience to deal with such an incident, nor could they have secured the area in the time that the Officers that attended the scene did.

Since 7/7, there is a very real need to have the ability to put armed Officers on the ground within a short space of time.

The suitability, training, competence, service standards and accountability of the Police Services in the UK as a whole, and particularly in reference to Officers that are armed is worthy of review.

Having witnessed, recorded and been the subject of wholly inappropriate conduct by armed City of London and Metropolitan Police Officers, I believe that I stand more chance of being negligently shot by them than I do by any otherwise armed criminal!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
For that to work you need to know you are innocent!
I'm betting the fella in the story had never heard of S.139
I'm betting the fella in the story assumed the policeman had a firm grasp of the law and must be right.

Lawyer, Lawyer, Lawyer! Have these people never seen a crime show?

Anyway I can't imagine why the policeman would search the car unless the pensioner were being a bit belligerent. I have been stopped with good cause before with all that junk in the back and not had the car searched.

I have a strange question, I only carry my Leatherman as an EDC when on my bike. The reason being it is part of my tool kit, honest! That said why can you not say the same about an item in your car?

I usually carry in the back of my 4WD in a locking box enough equipment for camping including a fixed blade chopper and folding shovel, never mind the standard tools I have in my tool kit.

Me, too. Have a kit in the car all the time. Have a blade by the drivers seat to cut belt.

afraid even if this story isn't true, my mate is a law student who has just had to defend someone in almost the exact same position. Pulled over for suspected drunk driving, under the limit, but swiss army knife in the glovebox. the "just in case" or "I forgot it was in there" arguments don't work. The best defense is to claim you are transporting it from home to a friend. Unfortunately it comes down a bit to the officer's discretion, so just hope it isn't some jobsworthy who pulls you over.

A SAK is legal, so can you find out why he being done? It must lock, or be over 3". If not, seems really easy to get him off. A friend of mine was pulled over, and kept for over two hours. Her car was almost emptied. The Red Cross demanded and got an apology for the attitude of the officers when going though her first aid kit. The main reason was they did not belive the first breath test and sent for another machine, so searched her car to pass the time. One proof of the fact we do not live in a free country, no fruit of the poison tree law.

Ref insurance is this not worth looking into as part of membership of Bushcraft UK? Wonder if there is an English version?

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
A person whom has an interest in the Law, and how it can affect them, may be interested in looking at Police Law 11th Edition, and the companion website, here.

9780199559794.jpg

There is detailed legal definition and clarification on all aspects of Policing Law, and with this book I have successfully trained individuals and groups to gain a better understanding of the Law in order that they may not be an innocent victim of its poor or malicious application.

The mere presence of this book during repeated vehicle and people stops has ensured that not only was the correct Law applied, but that the Law was applied correctly and no inspections, searches or arrests took place.

I have lost count of the times that I and others have been thanked by Officers whom believed that their knowledge of Law was correct, only to find that they were mistaken, as confirmed by the edition of Police Law before them!

Library reference and lending sections will stock this book, and if not, request that a copy be obtained or invest in buying one, as it is a fascinating read which includes such gems as how to adjourn a roadside vehicle inspection (one of my personal favorites).

In my early days of volunteer advocacy, I used this book as my main 'font of knowledge' with which I achieved a 100% success rate in the discontinuation of all Police and CPS action against those innocent people for whom I acted.

I would happily offer one as a pass around, though the postage may be hefty as its not a small book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE