Be careful!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I thought a SAK was perfectly legal ?

If it was in his car inside a case then how is that deemed as being offensive ?

The mind boggles sometimes

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
A Daily Mail special methinks. Pictured is the unfortunate chap, holding apparently the knife in question. Which is odd considering the Judge ordered forfeiture of it. No mention of the knifes size either. Ho Hum.

Cheers,

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
This has been discussed over on BB, apparently "the case is not being reported accurately" I believe that's the correct quote.

So if you get done for having one why are the shops still selling them? Or are the considered for in the home use? Hmm.

no you can get done for having one with out a good reason in public

or you can get doen for any knife if your use it or intend to use it in an offencive manner

Same as all the nasty kitchen knives in every kitchen in the land

its not all in the story thats obvious

the SAK teh guy is showing in the picture cant be the actual one (the judge ordered it confiscated accordign to the artical)
and if he didnt treaten any body or state he carryed it for defence etc then that particular knife is exempt from good reason to carry :rolleyes:

the artical does say he was prosicuted for Offencive Weapon which assuming its not been mis reported :rolleyes::D means he threatened or stated the knife was for defence etc andthat could be any SAK

ATB

Duncan

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Why did he admit to possesing a offensive weapon? having a penknife in your car glove compartment to me isnt possesing a offensive weapon,this is ridiculous.

Thats the only reason he was charged, he admitted it to take a caution and get out. If he had told them to go read the law then he wouldn't have been charged. They CAN NOT charge you for something that is legal unless you accept a charge and claim yourself that it is an offensive weapon. Of course, he may have had a locking SAK and not the one in the pic, in which case fruit and picnics just in case is no reasonable excuse.

Looks like they were determined to nail the guy for something, he got off the DD and so they nailed him on the knife, mind you possession of a caravan warrants a public flogging, so he got off light
:lmao:

He needs to find a decent brief that's for sure, it was a travesty of of justice.
Britain gone mad, and the law abused yet again by the police.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thats the only reason he was charged, he admitted it to take a caution and get out. If he had told them to go read the law then he wouldn't have been charged. They CAN NOT charge you for something that is legal unless you accept a charge and claim yourself that it is an offensive weapon. Of course, he may have had a locking SAK and not the one in the pic, in which case fruit and picnics just in case is no reasonable excuse.

No, he was up before the Magistrates Court, he did not accept a Caution.

According to the DM that is.:rolleyes:

Yes but he wouldnt have been charged with an offencive weapon just unlawfully carrying a blade with out good reason as they have to prove intent to make it offencive if its not on the offencive weapons register.

However due to the dubious scource and reporting theres no telling what happened or why :rolleyes: the story as written and photographed makes no sence

ATB

Duncan

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
It's like living in Nazi Germany:(...

I carry a petrol driven brushcutter with a cahinsaw adapter? sometimes spades surely that's offensive!

It must always come down to:
why you have the knife is it doing a job.

when and where you have it 2am outside a nightclub obviously bad!

and who you are are you a early teens or an adult.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I heard last week of a boy who was prosecuted for having a knife. It was in his fishing tackle box and he was on his way to go fishing. Clearly not guilty? Not when you add a policeman looking to improve statistics, an under-paid & disinterested legal-aid solicitor and a judge keen to look tough on knife crime. The lad was found guilty & now has a criminal record.

I've looked at my ballot paper and there isn't a box marked "None of the above" :(

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Don't believe everything you read in the papers chaps :rolleyes:

The law is clear on this, it is carrying with malicious intent that is the prosecutable offence.

Just look at how many plod carry on their batman utility belts Leathermans or Gerbers, both of which have a locking blade and are by definition, illegal but may be carried with good reason as they were not manufactured as weapons!!
https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q337.htm
Confusing isn’t it!!

Anyway, I asked a plod that I saw in tescopolys last year why he carried a Leatherman on his belt and he told me in no uncertain terms, where to get off!! He was about 19 years of age and looked every bit the teenage yob :D minus the hoody!! I went over to his Sergeant that was sat in their car outside and
I told him how the PC spoke to me and he apologised and said that he would have a word with him as the lad was a probationer. I then asked the same question of him about blades and he then told me that the Leatherman was there for 'rescue' type jobs where they may need a multi-tool :rolleyes:

So, if you admit to carrying an offensive weapon with intent to use it for nefarious reasons then you will be screwed by the courts and quite rightly so. If however, you have a good reason to carry it, eg bushcraft, peeling fruit, etc, then they are hard pressed to have a charge upheld in court.

The moral is to be polite but firm with plod if you are genuinely carrying a blade in the course of your business or hobby but don't carry blades into city areas. If they do arrest you, don't admit to carrying an offensive weapon and get a good brief! We on this forum, generally don't carry blades in the city but use them away in the countryside where, quite frankly, there are no plod anyway.

Hope this muddys the water a bit :pokenest:

Craeg

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Remeber guys that there is a difference between an offensive weapon and bladed or pointed article.

As has been said ANYTHING can be an offensive weapon depending on:

Design - is it made to be a weapon (e.g. broadawords or nunchuks)
Adapted - has an article been adapted to be a weapon (e.g. driving nails through the end of a baseball bat)
Intent - is the article being carried with the intention to be used as a weapon (e.g. carrying a piece of 2 by 4 to defend yourself from muggers)

While a bladed or pointed article is anything with a blade or point (DOH!) you have in a public place without a reasonable excuse/explination. The only exception to this is the sub 3" slipjoint folding knife

These are too totally seperate offenses!

In this case the only way that a SAK can be considered an offensive weapon is if the guy showed a clear intent to use it as a weapon.

If it helps there I started a thread on UKPoliceOnline to try and summarise and simplify the law surrounding carrying knives - http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41216&st=0&p=439609&#entry439609

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE