BCUK Mystery Tour - London transfer & traintickets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
if it's ok with you guys, i'll see if i can get a couple of days off work and join you.

unfortunately, can't do saturday as it's my nephews 18th birthday (and i haven't got him a present yet :eek: )

the days will depend on workload which i'll know more about tomorrow.

cheers
Steve

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
bikething said:
if it's ok with you guys, i'll see if i can get a couple of days off work and join you.

unfortunately, can't do saturday as it's my nephews 18th birthday (and i haven't got him a present yet :eek: )

the days will depend on workload which i'll know more about tomorrow.

cheers
Steve

Of course Steve, no problems mate! Would be great to meet you, and put a face to a name :D
Hope you can sort the work thing - and I'll see you there!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'M BACK!!!!! :lmao: :D

Had a great time and learnt alot!! Leon: :You_Rock_
Weather was absolutely fanbloomintastic, accept for the 16 hour non stop rain on one day ... very depressing, and it wasn't even winter!!
Dartmoor is place that must be taken seriously!

Some things I learnt:
- Navigation, incl. passing (I do 56 paces in 100 mtr on level ground), disecting / triangulation, route set up, etc.
- Knots (including one for a makeshift abseil harness :lmao: )
- Axe work :D, incl. feathersticks made with the help of an axe (They are better than my feathersticks made with a knife :rolleyes: ).
- New and easier sharpening technique (I can sharpen my knife sharp enough to remove the hairs on my arm)
- Plants (Neil, I loved that long walk mate. My interest for plants is grown even more! ... I now know plant names of which I don't know in dutch ... :rolleyes: )
- Fire management ... there's a lot of wood needed for one day :eek:
- Had a trie on flint and steel
- Tried flint knapping - very interesting subject, and definately something I want to learn more about.
- Bow drill ... :aargh4: I still don't like that one, don't know - just not interested in it ... Is it just me and am I now frowned upon? ;) Or are there any others who have the same?
- and probably some other things I can't remember at the moment.

A few pics:

PICT0137.jpg

Neil and Leon looking for a lost contact lens.

PICT0138.jpg

Only found some pignuts

PICT0139.jpg

Oxalis - don't eat this one, it's deadly! Looks pretty though!
I notice it's on it's side (picture) - will sort that out tomorrow.

PICT0142.jpg

PICT0141.jpg

PICT0140.jpg

View

PICT0143.jpg

My basha positioned at a stone wall, that also house some mice :eek:

PICT0146.jpg

The small stream that provided us with water.

PICT0151.jpg

Me chopping billets with a GB hunters axe.

PICT0147.jpg

Me next to our fire. Tripod designed and made by Leon. Note the poles: made from wood ... and no chain to suspend the pots from but: (start the drums) linnen thread and a wooden pothanger.

PICT0149.jpg

Someone ran out of cigarette paper and decided to make a pipe ... :rolleyes: ;) :lmao:

PICT0152.jpg

Fungi found on roots / at base of a pine tree.

Tony feel free to use the pics if you want to.

leon-1

Strange, but true I live in Devon Johan lives in Holland and he managed to get home before I did.:rolleyes:

Johan, it was a pleasure meeting you and I hope to meet you again, I had a good time including having to make a pipe when I ran out of rolling papers:).

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I can only repeat what Leon said Johan, it was a shame I could'nt spend more time out with you guys.
I have put some pictures in my gallery of our "wild food afternoon tea", hope you enjoy and come over again soon.
Neil

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
leon-1 said:
Strange, but true I live in Devon Johan lives in Holland and he managed to get home before I did.:rolleyes:

Johan, it was a pleasure meeting you and I hope to meet you again, I had a good time including having to make a pipe when I ran out of rolling papers:).

Fraser beamed me up :lmao: :p :D :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:
Was a pleasure meeting you too Leon, I'm sure we'll meet again: I still have to attend one of the BCUK bushmoots. So: I'll be back :D

Neil1 said:
I can only repeat what Leon said Johan, it was a shame I could'nt spend more time out with you guys.
I have put some pictures in my gallery of our "wild food afternoon tea", hope you enjoy and come over again soon.
Neil

Great pics Neil!
Thank you for the plantwalk!! Hope we meet longer next time!

Thanks to the both (actually: three) of you for having me in your country and showing me all those things that makes Dartmoor to what it is!
:You_Rock_

leon-1

Well here are a few more pictures:)

Neil and Johan having a brew by the fire
neiljohan0jc.jpg

The ingredients for the bread that Neil made, including bilberries and wild strawberries
ingredients4rk.jpg

One of the other occupants of the site
damselfly4uq.jpg

This was the cord that I made from waxed linen thread that was in my repair kit, it worked well with the pot hanger and the tripod
cord6me.jpg

My hat as it dried on top of the tripod, it reminded me of the Harry Potter sorting hat:D
sortinghat3sn.jpg

Haytor from one of its carparks
haytor0hj.jpg

Johan and I in the same carpark just as we were leaving (gives a bit of scale to Haytor)
johani6nw.jpg

Thanks to all that were involved with helping Johan with his travel arrangements and sorry about the couple of days of rain Johan.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Sounds like you all had a great time and i'm glad you had a good time in the uk Anjho its a shame your not going to be here for the bushmoot at the end of the month but there will be others

those pictures take me back too wheyyyyyyyyy back :D
<note to self> must get down to dartmore soon

James*

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE