BCUK Mystery Tour - London transfer & traintickets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
As some of you might know, I'm off to the UK this summer (next week!!) to do some bushcraft ;)
At the moment I'm working on my travelschedule, and found some difficulties I can't figure out ... :rolleyes:

Schedule:
First: I'll arrive in Harwich on Wednesday 21 June at 10.10 in the morning by ferry.

Next leg in my journey will be a train transfer from Harwich to London Liverpoolstreet:
- Departure from Harwich (Town) at 11.00
- Arrival at London Liverpoolstreet at 12.33

Third part will be a transfer in London :eek: from London Liverpoolstreet to London Paddington.

Don't know yet. Don't like using the tube with a big rucksack ... :cool: It's not a big succes with lots of people and small entrance door ... Not to mention the fact I would get lost ...

Gives me the opportunity to do some sight seeing ;) And have lunch :D

Fourth leg is from London Padddington to Newton Abbot by train.

Here I plan to use the following. There is a connection an hour earlier, though it has an extra transfer in Cardiff, and I'll arrive in Newton Abbot at 16.30, so that's no good really.

- Departure from London Paddinton at 13.58
- Arrival at Newton Abbot at 16.40

Fifth leg is from N-A to Widecombe

Questions:
1. What is are the fares on the leg London Paddington - Newton Abbot?

I came on a price of 25.00 GBP (Leisure Advance A) ... Is this correct? Or do I need another ticket? (I just want a single / one way ticket, second class, with no fuss ...).

I do not need a ticket from Harwich to London, as it's included in my ferry ticket :D

2. Is it possible to walk from Liverpoolstreet to Paddington? I've got 1.5 hrs ... Or would it be mad? ;)
I know my way around a bit and have a good map ...

3. Anyone knows how to get from N-A to Widecombe by bus?
- What number? (Towards?)
- Where to get a ticket? (Station or buy at busdriver (as you can here)?)

4. Any thought, comments, recommondations, etc. are more than welcome!

Cheers in advance :You_Rock_

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
You could (just!) walk from Liverpool St Stn to Paddington, but it is really pushing it for time.

You would also be fighting your way through all the Brainless Office Drones and Tourists, at Lunchtime, in the busiest part of London!

Go by Underground!

Take the Circle Line (Yellow on the Map) Westbound direct from L'pool St to Paddington.

Be aware that there is increased Police Security checks with Metal Detectors in use on the Underground, so if you see one, approach one of the Police Officers and Explain that you have your Bushcraft Gear with you (especially Knives or Axes) and what you are doing.

I would forget about sightseeing, you do not really have the time for it and anyway London is a Stinking Pit (I live here :p ) so get out of the place as fast as you can!

And Have a Good Holiday! :D

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
First: I'll arrive in Harwich on Wednesday 21 June at 10.10 in the morning by ferry.

Say hello to the ferry port whilst you're there, I work with port statistics... :D

Third part will be a transfer in London from London Liverpoolstreet to London Paddington.

Liverpool St to Paddington is a bit of an unfeasable journey on foot A bit - as you say - mad... If you have problems with rucsacs & the underground, would a taxi be a viable alternative? You'd get to see the sights and potentially get a colourful commentary on the way!

I came on a price of 25.00 GBP (Leisure Advance A) ... Is this correct? Or do I need another ticket? (I just want a single / one way ticket, second class, with no fuss ...).

You may find that a single ticket is actually far more expensive than other sorts, especially if bought on the day. Most UK rail operators offer massive discounts if you book tickets in advance with specific dates of travel set.

3. Anyone knows how to get from N-A to Widecombe by bus?

I've just pulled this link off the net: it's a bit out of date but may help: http://www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnshowl.asp?L1=NEW014

If Leon's around he might be able to give a bit more local info.

I hope this is useful

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Ahjno said:
2. Is it possible to walk from Liverpoolstreet to Paddington? I've got 1.5 hrs ... Or would it be mad? ;)
I know my way around a bit and have a good map ...

:confused: :) :lmao: :lmao: :lol: :22: :naughty: :yikes: :yikes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The tube really is your best bet - 9 stops, no changes on the clearly marked yellow "Circle Line Westbound". Wouldn't cost much in a taxi though. Book your ticket on the link Scanker sent you and its £12.50 if you are quick!

Red

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Lunch: Find one of the older Italian Sandwich Bars around Liverpool Street Station, as they are much better than anything inside the Station. :D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Transport for London Journey Planner says you can get a 205 bus from Liverpool St to Paddington, but this takes over an hour.

Seriously, I'd get the Tube.
I wouldn't have thought it would be THAT busy at that time of day, and Circle / District Line trains are pretty big and wide compared to other lines.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
There's nothing wrong with walking through London, but with about 5 miles between the two the time is not on your side.

You should be able to get a ticket all the way from Liverpool Street to newton abbot which includes an Underground transfer. However, I've always found that the station staff are pretty helpful. Just tell them where you need to go and when, they should be able to take you through all the options and get you the best fare. Remember that UK train fares are ridiculously expensive so best check in advance to avoid fainting at the train station...

Taxi will also be pricey - probably in the region of £10 to £15.

As for lunch, I think the Pasty shops in the train station can't be beat!
Enjoy the trip :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
No help I'm afraid, but just want to say, have a great time over here................Jon
bushcraftersfire6if.gif

leon-1

Ahjno said:
Shut up Marts ;)
As Womble mentioned a taxi would be a good idea - as the underground isn't my favourite with a big rucksack :eek:

We're meeting up ;)

Excellent help guys, please continue :D

I'll see what I can figure when I get home as I am away at the moment Johan, but one way or another we'll get upto Widecombe:D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
leon-1 said:
Johan I will meet you at the station if you can confirm the rough time you will arrive.

I am trying to arrange a lift from the station at the moment

:You_Rock_
Train from London Paddington, arriving at Newton Abbot station @ 16.40 hrs (UK time).
This is the set up giving me the most time in case I miss a train :rolleyes: Though I'm probably an hour earlier at the station, this doesn't matter: I'll just wait (for a ginger haired guy popping up ;) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE