BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
many of the workshops have not been finalised yet but so far there will be workshops covering the following.

Forging with Pete bond

Flintknapping with John lord

sharpening

long bow making

leather sheath making

primitive deadfalls and snares

knots

cordage

fire by friction bowdrill and handrill (not yet finalised)

archery

Navigation without a compass

plant walk (not yet finalised)

Tracking (not yet finalised)

locating water on the dunes (not yet finalised)

there will be a library of bushcraft related books for you to browse, a hangi (underground pit) oven, and the estate to explore

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
tommywidenflycht said:
Does someone have more information regarding the leather sheath making workshop? When, how much, do I need to bring some leather etc?

all the workshops (except flint knapping) are free, the timings will be sorted out on the day, if you have some suitable leather it would be appricated if you could bring it to save the costs for the person who has volunteered to run the workshop.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
you'll have to do at least one knife, its become a tradition, :D

Every Bush moot we eagerly anticipate your next edged creation!

what about one of those rail road spike axes you mentioned in the past? (not sure where we will get a rail road spike)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'm currently trying to get my travel arrangements sorted for the moot, I have a ride to Myther Mawr on the Friday but at present my trip home on the Monday is looking a little sketchy. I would like to come home on Monday but if I have no option I’ll it will have to be Sunday, so what I’m asking is if any one in Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Berkshire area or after that long list even the south east and can get me to within an hours drive of Aylesbury so my good lady wife can come and get me please can I have a ride home? I don’t mind sharing fuel costs and my rucksack is pretty small.

Yours hopefully

James

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
ESpy said:
Forks & sporks was what I had in mind, but I'm open to suggestions.

I can use mild steel then, and demo things much faster, so people won't feel obliged to keep coming back to see where I've got to!

Would you have any use of a dozen or so of old files? They came with the house and are in pretty bad condition but I have heard that blacksmiths like to forge items out of them. I'll bring them to the bushmoot if you want them.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I think there is a file fairy about as we had about a dozen files with our house too.
We' l be there on Sat morning. Am bringing bits of leather (5mm 'm afraid), some steel and my first home made knife. if anybody wants some just hunt me down (be the one with a knakered landy and a look of bliss (and a confused partner in tow)

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i've never been to a moot before so can anyone explain what we will be doing and has anyone got any photos that i can look at of other moots?

leon-1

jack29g said:
i've never been to a moot before so can anyone explain what we will be doing and has anyone got any photos that i can look at of other moots?

Jack PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some pictures of the last BCUK moot back in May.

As to what happens, well you arrive meet some of the other members have a general chinwag about kit, the weather and learn a shed load of usefull stuff in the form of short workshops and from generally chatting to people.

on the last moot, there were a number of workshops from sheath making, working through trapping and snaring (legallity included), through to Jed showing people the flip flop winch.

Tony explains at the beggining of this thread what activities were going on at the last moot, there are also a number of pictures taken at the that moot in the thread :)

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Biddlesby
If the weather continues like this I doubt the local river will have much water in it.. and I'm not sure of the practicality/legality of caneoing on it anyway. The estuary has quite powerful currents which make it a dodgy area. So I don't think canoeing wil be on the menu.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just thought that a timely reminder might be needed. This meet is NOT a Bank Holiday. We have the site booked for the Monday, but those that stay will have to book a day's holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE