BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
No guarantees just yet, but if I can get down (and I really am hoping I can!) I'm more than happy to run some kinda guided walks, pointing out edible, medicinal and generally useful plants. (with the obvious caveats that I'm not a professional or insured if you mishear me saying that eating hemlock is a good idea :eek:)

I'm also happy to help people getting set up with and improving bow drill technique - but I'm guessing there'll probably be enough people able to do this that it'll be a big collective workshop :D

Things I'd like to learn include better knife-sharpening technique, and a lot of knowledge from people who've all tried doing things different ways for everything bushcrafty - so I don't hve to! (still hunting for the 'ideal' hammock knots).

Now I just have to find that fine dividing line between packing a minimal kit to look like a proper bushcrafter but packing enough kit and equipment to look like, err, a proper bushcrafter :rolleyes:

M

marcja

match said:
Now I just have to find that fine dividing line between packing a minimal kit to look like a proper bushcrafter but packing enough kit and equipment to look like, err, a proper bushcrafter :rolleyes:

When you see me you'll think I'm out for a week. If I'm away more than a couple of nights I tend to use one of those british army bergens with the huuuuuuggge zip-on side pockets. It's handy being able to store all the essentials in the side pockets where they're easily accessible and everything else like sleeping bags/clothing etc in the main compatment. It looks huge but it's (usually) half empty :eek:

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Goose said:
I am going with the family, minimal kit consists of a tent that could hold a circus, along with all the comforts! In my defence it is teh only way teh wife would go camping. :eek:

Don't worry Goose, I only live 5 miles away and I'll be doing the same!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
:D
The idea is to relax and enjoy yourself, which means you can take what you want to make yourself comfortable, no ones sitting in judgment. Tents, hammocks, on the ground, under a tarp.....whatever you fancy

one of the advantages of this is that people can see a range of different kit, get opinions on it etc, the main advantage though...you have a good weekend!

T

theorsmeister

is there a time limit as to when we can sign up (as it were)

coz i may have to check the diary

T

theorsmeister

When are u gonna post further details,

or do we have to contact you personally?

Cheers

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Urmmm, there are 113 posts in this thread, all the information for the meetup is at the beginning, which bit didn't you understand?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Lithril said:
Urmmm, there are 113 posts in this thread,

That's a lie!
hihi.gif

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Please I haven't been on the Forums for quite a while now so I am trying to get back in the game... :)

Guys please can anyone tell me the exact details of the bushcrfatuk Summer 2005 meetup: location, date, how to get there for those who don't drive (train/bus/walk connections).

Many Thanks fore your assistance

Nomade

M

marcja

Just so that the people that aren't from this area or aren't familiar with MM, can someone confirm that the main carpark is the place to be heading.

Sorry if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly I'm sure there are two two car parks at MM. Is that right?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
theormeister said:
When are u gonna post further details,

or do we have to contact you personally?
nomade said:
Guys please can anyone tell me the exact details of the bushcrfatuk Summer 2005 meetup: location, date, how to get there for those who don't drive (train/bus/walk connections).
Hiya guys and gals, It seems that quite a few of you are having problems finding the detail of the meetup. All of the info you require can be found by trawling this thread, the info seems a bit scattered I know :( and can be hard to find at times, but just to reiterate.....
Tony said:
Hi everyone, I thought I'd get the dates of the Summer meet up so that everyone knows when and where it is.

It's in the same place as last year for those that went and for those that didn't it's at Merthyr Mawr in South Wales.

The dates are July 29th to Aug 1st

Anyone is more than welcome to come for a day or for the whole period.

These meets are for everyone, no matter how involved you are in bushcraft, bring the family

The cost will be £20 an adult and £10 for 12-16 years and free below that. If you can just make a night or two it will be £7 a night.

You can just turn up and pay on the day, or if you want to use paypal you can pay in advance.

nomade-- the nearest train station is at Bridgend. Your best bet is to arrange a pickup with one of the members here.... there are a couple of people travelling down by train that have organised lifts from the station.....

Here is a map for those comming by car :)
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=Merthyr+Mawr,+Bridgend+/+Pen-y-Bont+ar+Ogwr+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

marcja said:
Just so that the people that aren't from this area or aren't familiar with MM, can someone confirm that the main carpark is the place to be heading.
Yep... the main car park where steve the groundsman hangs out collecting car parking fees. Head for there. The private campite is through the gate to the left next to the car park gate. Don't be too worried.... we'll have it well sign posted so there should be no problems.

Hope this clears a few things up....... and see you there :D

Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
BCUK BUSHMOOT SUMMER 2005

The dates are July 29th to Aug 1st

Any one is more than welcome to come for a day or for the whole period.

These meets are for everyone, no matter how involved you are in bushcraft, bring the family

The cost for the campsite will be £20 an adult and £10 for 12-16 years and free below that. If you can just make a night or two it will be £7 a night.

You can pay on the day or If you would like to pay via paypal then the address is shop@bushcraftuk.net

Here's some info about the site.

The estate has an incredibly varied mixture of terrain with:

• 300 acres of forest including broad leaf coppice and ancient woodland
• 5 square kilometres of sand dunes (the second largest and highest in Europe)
• 4.5 kilometres of coastline (with the second largest tidal change in the world)
• 6 kilometres of river
• an estuary
• 3 natural springs
• 2 castles
• numerous streams and ponds

The outstanding diversity of flora and fauna on this site has earned it no less than five designations.

• SSSI Site of Special Scientific Interest
• NNR National Nature Reserve
• SPC Special Area of Conservation
• SAM scheduled ancient monument
• Heritage Coast

Our base camp is fully equipped with running water, toilets, showers and a purpose built lecture building for when indoor lectures are appropriate

The nearest bus and train stations are located in the city of Bridgend.

A map showing myther mawr in relation to the city of Bridgend and the M4 motorway:
map3.gif

A map showing the Merthyr Mawr estate, the red arrow marks the BCUK bushmoot car park:
map1.gif

A satellite photo of the area shown in the map above:
phot1.gif

T

theorsmeister

Wot time u want us up there,

and is any1 giving lifts from the station,

how far is the station frmo the meet, coz i could walk i guess, if its not too long,

Cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE