BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theorsmeister

Are there any buses that go from the station 2 the meet up??

Cheers!!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
there are a few people from the site on the train arriving at 1608. it's only a couple of miles to the campsite apparently so i'm planning to walk (although i won't turn down a lift if offered ;) )

T

theorsmeister

Graham_S

I no we havent met, but I dont know the way(i know there's a map, but you know) and am probably gonna walk as well,
mind if I go with you?

Cheers

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
no problem. with a map and a compass you can find anywhere. iirc the general is on the same train and i think he's been there before.

M

michael

Count me in

And THEORSMEISTER and Graham_s, I am going to walk aswell, so wait for me.
Someone else said something about arrival times, what time do you want us to be at the Campsite and what time will we be leaving on the last day, sorry if I am repeating, i am booking the tickets with virgin and you have to put a time down.

M

michael

Thank you Stuart. Does it matter that i cannot get there before 12, because it is a long train journey. Any particular kit you want us to bring

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
michael said:
Thank you Stuart. Does it matter that i cannot get there before 12, because it is a long train journey. Any particular kit you want us to bring

you can turn up and leave anytime you like between 9:30 on the friday and 12:00 on the monday.

bring what ever you need to sleep under the stars and anything you think would be of intrest to other bushcrafters

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I'll be arriving at Bridgend at 16:06 from Paddington, be good to meet up with anyone who's on the same train - happy to walk it, but a lift would also be gratefully received :D

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Walking is not an option for me! I move at my own pace and a lot of you guys are going to be carrying a lot less "Iron" than me so I will be weighed down a fair bit. I also like to set a very sedate cruising pace myself. Some of you guys would make SAS selection... :p

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Beeing a "newbie" to this whole bushcrafting thingie this meeting seems to be perfect to get started, meet new people and fondle kit :p

The area seems just wounderful...

And I even might be able to bring a carload of Stainless Steel Swedish Army Trangias with me :)

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
...just going over my kit list for the moot... can we/are we building cooking fires on site? Just thinking about de-scaling the Trangia and if I can put it off a little longer... ;)

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Ed said:
There will be communal fires that you can cook on :) Also around the campsite you will find oil drum BBQ's that you can use.

:D
Ed

Oh God! I'll de-scale the Trangia then - no one should have to witness my cooking.. ;)

Might try a bit of long line fishing though - Porthcawl has resonable catch reports ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
General Wayne :D Don't go over loading yourself with too much heavy metal, okay. I realised that I didn't get back to you about your suggested load of show-and-tell. I think that all those bowies are probably overkill! Most bushcraft types view anything over 4" as big, so if you have any good field knives say up to but not more than 7", that would probably be more interesting than 9"-12" choppers :D Also lighter to carry!! I suggested you bring slightly bigger knives than the standard 3-4"ers because I am sure there will be quite a range of "normal" size knives around that others people will bring. Just a thought.

tommywidenflycht, since selling gear won't be permitted, you probably won't need more than one or two trangias.

M

michael

:rolleyes: I posted this on the poll thread aswell, but just to check, we do bring our own food right? Sorry if this is obvious to the rest of you :confused:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Michael,
Yup, it's a basic campsite in the woods... so no catering on site, no shop for miles.. and the estate would be most unhappy if you poached any of their pheasants so you're going to have to to carry it in!

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
C_Claycomb said:
tommywidenflycht, since selling gear won't be permitted, you probably won't need more than one or two trangias.

Affirmative! Just thought I could distribute them there if I recieve them before the meeting, sorry.

M

marcja

I may have missed the answer to my question somewhere in amongst the 141 posts to this thread so far, if so, I apologise.

Is there any order to the activities i.e. workshops, walks, events etc that are going to be available/take place or have arrangements not been finalised yet?

The reason I ask is that I was wondering what I might be taking part in or watching whilst I'm there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE