BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Thankyou to everyone who came .... old faces and new alike...... you made it a fantastic weedend. I'll look forward to meeting up again with you all again sometime. :D

:)
Ed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What a fantastic weekend. :D

The weather Gods were smiling, although they did get a bit enthusiastic as I’m peeling big time! :eek: The Site was lovely, although things getting blown down on Sat did add some excitement to the weekend! And the company, well, who could ask for more. A hundred people were there on Sat and had about 130 over the weekend, new faces and old, but all just as welcoming and willing to have a great time. I had many people come up to me to say that you were all a fantastic bunch, that they had been a bit apprehensive about coming but upon arrival all their apprehension had just faded away, that’s a compliment to you all. :)

Those that gave of their time are the real heroes of the weekend, they were amazingly selfless and happily spent time helping any anyone that enquired of them, so much went on that there was something for everyone, for all, it was a fantastic experience that was both educational and relaxed in just the right balance. To all of you that offered your time, equipment and expertise I take my hat off to you. Thank you.

A thank you to Braziers is also in order, it was a great site and the facilities were gratefully received! The wood burning showers were envied by many and I know that it was the best shower a few have had in a while! Dave and others put in a lot of effort to get the site sorted before the horde arrived, thanks to them we had a good site.

Thanks to you all for creating a great event, see you at the next one. ;)

archiet

Jan 6, 2005
London
Bardster said:
It was me :)
and there were a couple of books.
The Traditional Archers Handbook, Hilary Greenland, ISBN 0952462761
The Heratage of the Longbow, Pip Bickerstaffe, Private Printing
Both are available from quicks archery

Hope that helps

thanks for that.

It was the Greenland one I think.

Looking forward to giving it a go.

shelly

Admin
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Deepest Wales
Just a big huge thank you to everyone who helped out over the weekend, it was a great success. It was really nice to meet up with friends again and make new ones, there was a really happy atmosphere there. The kids all had a terrific time, a MASSIVE THANK YOU to Mel, Rob, Wayne and Val for their patience and long suffering going round and round the archery circuit with the kids, they all absolutely loved it, and your efforts were very much appreciated.
We are really looking forward to the next meet, and hope to enjoy many more!
Thanks again!!

Rod

On a new journey
Hi All,

My first chance to post since the weekend. Thanks to all for a brilliant time. My first one of these (it won't be the last). I wasn't sure what to expect but the friendliness and open-handedness of all does a lot to increase one's faith in human nature. Thanks to Jamie, Rich, Alick and Ed for making space over at Hammock Central

I took great encouragement from those I asked help from and I will put pictures of my knife up when it is finished. I have decided to make two actually - one for my other half who doen't have her own - yet. Thanks to Ivan and Jed especially on that.

Just in case you're interested "Slasher" Lenton made it home without further incident!

see you soon

J

Jamie

Grasshopper said:
Just in case you're interested "Slasher" Lenton made it home without further incident!

It was great to meet you mate and slasher as well.......hope he didnt bleed too much over your car seats! Hope to see you both again soon

leon-1

Well they say a picture paints a thousand words so here are a few thousand words. These are in no particular order.

Bardster demonstrating bowmaking.

bardsterbowmaking1hw.jpg

Tony, Jamie and Grasshoper having a go at archery as Bushwacker Bob Val and others watched.

tonejamieandgrasshopper7tz.jpg

Ed Teaching how to make snares.

edteachingsnares1vt.jpg

Stuart teaching about trapping.

stuarttrapping2xf.jpg

Espy trying to get a tune out of some mythical instrument. :)

espytryingtogetatune6wd.jpg

He eventaully gave up and deciced to forge a knife :D

espytheforger5yf.jpg

Sam teaching basic navigation using a compass

p1000110small0ma.jpg

ESpy teaching sharpening as Ray sharpened his knife. Sorry the flash left him with white dots in front of his eyes for a while :eek:

p1000063small0ff.jpg

Woody giving a lecture on tracking.

woodywithavidwatchers6fh.jpg

And later teaching the superman method of tracking :D

supermanmethodoftracking0kb.jpg

All in all an excellent weekend :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hi All

This was my first bcuk meet up and it was fantastic had a great time. I met lots of great people it’s really nice to know that you good people are out there. Learnt a lot came away with even more questions and enthusiasm to try new things /get back into old things.
Thanks to every one for their organisational efforts and to those who gave their time and knowledge so others could learn, a big special thanks to the firstaiders my finger hasn’t dropped of yet but it’s gone a bit green!!! Is it supposed to do that?

See you all in July

Yours Slasher

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Really nice pictures, Leon (and your knife was a thing of beauty). Special thanks from me to Espy for showing his knife making craft, and Mel and Wayne for showing me how to use a bow (and not shouting "take cover" when I did).
And of course to Tony for making me and every other new member feel welcome.

Hi everyone hope your well!. Once more thanks to those who put it together and those who did demo's all of which made a good weekend(my first).It would seem I have to go to the next one because I missed some good stuff on saturday while canoeing(which was A1). "Beholden"!

" my finger hasn’t dropped of yet but it’s gone a bit green!!! Is it supposed to do that?"jdlenton.

Not to worry your just getting greenfingers, you can keep the plaster/bandage Lol.
Good luck with the deadfall mech.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Last year was our first meet and was quite small. About 30 odd + kids at a time when BCUK had a lot less members. This years looks like it will be bigger as its been planned well in advance and there are alot more members now :)

Ed

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Kirruth said:
Special thanks from me to Espy for showing his knife making craft....

You're quite welcome! The real question from me after the demo is - have I persuaded anyone else to have a go?

BTW - are there any decent photos of the finished knife around? Tony???!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE